Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Flipperwaldt posted:

EDIT New page content: remember these?

Oh god, I had at least three of these in various flavors and denominations, but I think I actually had this exact one at some point.

I think it actually did have a fair number of games (possibly 5, mostly games like Tetris/Quarth/Breakout/lovely Racing Clone), but they were all pretty much terrible in the end.

The White Dragon posted:

Holy poo poo, CPUs used to look like that? I never built a tower until last year so I wouldn't have known, but... god drat.

I'm pretty sure that's just a case for the CPU. They've actually pretty much stayed the same size since 1985 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Landerig posted:

Also noteworthy is NES emulation these days is pretty flawless. Even so, Action 52 can behave wildly different depending on which emulator you play it on. On some, it may run better then it does on the NES and you can play the two games that crash on the NES.

NES games mostly relied on special on-cart chips called mappers to provide extra functionality, like having more than the standard two pages of graphics. Unlike games like SMB3 (which used a really common and well-documented mapper, the MMC3), Action 52 uses a unique one that isn't really used anywhere else. Because of this, and the fact that there aren't really a lot of people who own one and want to experiment with it, it's not perfect yet. Most of the functionality is probably best-guess.

The "personalized code" that the game presented didn't seem so personalized, either:
code:
CONGRATULATIONS!
YOU MAY HAVE JUST WON...
TAKE A PHOTOGRAPH OF THIS
SCREEN AND SEND TO THE
ADDRESS LISTED IN THE RULES
AND REGULATIONS. YOUR PERSONAL CODE:
7A3H9J0P2R4A2C7S
Interestingly, though, it looks like Action 52 may have been planned to have 60 awful games. Thank goodness that never happened.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

0toShifty posted:

Most people I know who still use and pay for AOL are just doing it to keep their @aol.com email address that all their friends know.

You can actually keep your @aol.com address even if you cancel the service. :ssh: I got my grandparents onto real DSL and GMail and have it set up so that their AOL mail is fetched from GMail and they don't notice any difference.

They haven't paid for AOL (or had the client installed) for about three years now. Good times.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The_Franz posted:

Within that last 12 months IE6 use has dropped below 1% in North America, Europe and Australia. Asians, however, seem to love it as 21% of China and 4.7% of Japan still use it for some reason.

Totally anecdotal evidence here, but I've found through my sites that pretty much 100% of the IE6 traffic are just zombies pretending to be IE6. I haven't seen a legitimate IE6 user in a long time (based on log analysis or browsing habits).

Unless they're accounting for zombie computers I'd hesitate to take a reading of 21% -- especially for China, of all places -- seriously.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Plinkey posted:

All this talk about Aiwa brings me way back.

I had this thing all through middle / high school / college and only got rid of it a few years ago although at that point the only thing that worked was the radio and aux in. It was beast.

I remember listening to the radio and whenever the song would change being ready to record the next one if it's something I wanted onto the tape deck. Then napster showed up.
I think we still have one of these! I'm not sure how much of it works besides the radio, but I always liked watching the display demo when it was off. I'll have to get a picture later. :shobon: