Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
Goons are really out of touch with what the ~average~ person does. Flash keys aren't going anywhere, and removable media in general really isn't except maybe CDs. Less than 40% of households in the US have a Blu-ray player, despite 70% having HDTVs. There are 100 million people in this country that are completely fine with watching a standard definition DVD, even when they already own an HDTV and Blu-Ray players cost less than a C-note. The average person is not nearly as technologically up-to-date as goons like to imagine. The ~average~ person is still buying DVD's, Blu-rays, and video games on physical disks and they probably will be for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
What I don't get about old people writing checks at the grocery store and poo poo is, they obviously have a checking account, and I'm pretty sure if you have a checking account the bank gives you a debit card. And unless they're 120 freaking years old they know how paying by card works, I mean they have probably had credit cards before in their lives. They can still write their card purchases down in their check register too if they want to keep track. There's just no excuse for old people to write checks.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
I was watching "A Time to Kill" on DVD and had to flip it over halfway through. Was there a time when DVD's couldn't hold a whole movie per side? I don't think there was, but for some reason, that DVD only has half the movie on each side.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

KillerKatten posted:

Also going to join in on the "why is the US in the 1950s still?" bandwagon, but this is also weird to me. Why would a paper with your address on be proof of anything? Why doesn't the post office keep track of peoples addresses? This also goes into the whole voter ID/voter suppression thing. Not having a debit/credit card with pictures that is used as ID is pretty much impossible if you are over 16 or not a recently arrived paperless immigrant here in Norway. If you have a job, you get your pay deposited into your banking account, to use that you need a card, if you get money from the government it gets deposited into your banking account and you need a card. Unless you live on allowances from your parents or selling stolen car radios to pay for heroin it should be really hard to not have ID..

Actually the post office does keep track of people's addresses but it's not part of the State Government (the DMV is a state government thing). Technically it's an independent agency and not really part of the Federal Government either. I think the only reason they keep addresses is so they can forward mail sent to the wrong place.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Listening to the radio isn't really geeky -- and certainly wasn't before TV and the internet -- and if your city has a clock tower and whoever's in charge of it didn't bother to set it to the radio signal at least every couple of weeks they were a pretty terrible timekeeper.

It just sounds like a lot of your issues are more "I lived in a small town" than "everybody's watches were off before cell phones". Remember that accurate timekeeping, aligned to centralized standards, was required as a critical part of oceanic navigation as far back as the 15th century.

You are sperging hardcore about time keeping. I don't think the average dude on the street sperged so hard about keeping his watch EXACTLY right so I'm inclined to believe the other guy here.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

mng posted:

Did pausing a VCR over extended periods of time damage it in any way? When I was a kid I warned my friends about doing that, but can't quite remember how I got that notion in my head. I'm inclined to believe it's bullshit, like 90% of the things I believed then.

It probably depended on your VCR but my parents always told me that and I thought it was baloney so I paused a tape for 3 days and it didn't do anything. I think it's more of a holdover from old rear end projector films that would burn if you paused them for too long.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

DNova posted:

People complaining about US banks are baffling me. If your bank doesn't have free online bill payment, including the ability to print and mail a check to smaller companies, get a better bank.

Direct person to person electronic transfers are becoming fairly common as well (ING has this, for example), even if you are for some reason ignoring the existence of paypal, amazon, google, and others.

Bank accounts, checking accounts, everything is free in the US. In many other parts of the world, they charge you all kinds of fees, including monthly fees just for having an account.

Furthermore, paying with plastic is much less common in Europe at least compared to the US. Many people in Europe are still primarily using cash, and many establishments simply don't take any forms of plastic payments. And RFID/NFC payment? Forget it.

The US is way ahead (of Europe, at least) in all of this.

Only some checking accounts are free in the US. Monthly account maintenance fees are very common (usually in combination with a minimum balance). Also online bill pay is quite often the bank LITERALLY sending out a check in your name instead of actually electronically transmitting funds. When I send my car payment online that's what happens and it takes 5 days to process instead of 15 minutes like a proper EFT should.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
Yeah I think the only major difference between US and Euro countries is that in the US there is no difference between credit cards and debit. Any place that accepts debit cards will accept credit cards by default, and I'm relatively sure that any place that requires a credit card will accept a debit card (assuming you have enough cash to cover the expense). Like, when you check into a hotel, you need a credit card to cover incidentals, and sometimes the hotel puts a hold on your account, but I've never been to one where a debit card wasn't accepted, even though they specifically ask for a credit card.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
It's cool how catalog shopping was a really big thing for a while, and now we do basically the same exact thing on the internet. poo poo doesn't really change if you think about it.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

A SWEATY FATBEARD posted:

Many local roads in Europe, especially Southern Europe, are actual roman roads that have been simply paved over with asphalt.

edit for content:
I live in a pretty old apartment building which has a special laundry room in the basement, and tenants used to have their alotted laundry time on a schedule.

There is a small washing/boiling room and a big room for laundry drying (how well this worked in the basement, I don't know).

Anyways, there is a big concrete sink where housewives used to scrub the laundry down, and then put it into a big copper cauldron which was cleverly integrated into the body of a coal furnace. This was made out of brick. You'd light the fire underneath the cauldron, your laundry would boil in soap water and you'd stir the whole thing with an enormous wooden spoon.

It's hard to appreciate just how difficult doing the laundry was before the era of automatic washing machines.

If you've ever seen the movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" this is exactly what Charlie's mom is doing when she sings Cheer Up Charlie. Just stirring the laundry with a big wooden spoon. Really confused the poo poo out of me as a kid, I thought she was making soup from clothes or something.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

b0nes posted:

It's worth signing up just for that feature (ING not CHase because it's a free feature and ING doesn't charge monthly fees).

Christ alive if it takes a few days you might as well mail them a check. There's no point in changing banks for that. Western Union is almost instant, takes like 5 minutes. I used to have to transfer money to my dad once a week and he didn't have a computer or a bank account he could use, and not once did the money take longer to get there than it took me to tell him it was coming.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Sirveaux posted:

As people already stated. Pneumatic tube transport is far from dead. I'm a nursing student and use these pretty much daily at the hospital. Beats spending 15 minuters walking a blood test vial across the hospital.

The system is fully automatic and you set the destination by turning 4 metal rings at the end of the tube.

I love it.

Yep they have a very specific niche for things like that. I worked in a factory and pneumatic tubes were used for sending QA samples back and forth from the lab that was actually in another building entirely. Obviously you still see them at pharmacies and bank drive-through windows as well.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010

Farbtoner posted:

A gun that shoots sweet, sweet colored light.

So not really a gun at all then.

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
I'd never heard of Paternoster lifts before, but multi-floor factories often use something similar that (at least where I worked) is called a manlift. It's basically a vertical conveyor belt with platforms to stand on, not even like the whole box you ride in on a paternoster. They're basically the same idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoutrosBoutros
Dec 6, 2010
There are plenty of people who still don't own smartphones too.