Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

bunnielab posted:

I guess my point is that even science is a matter of faith and that maybe being somewhat suspicious of a ubiquitous technology that arrived on the scene very quickly isnt totaly tinfoil hat territory. I think this does apply to medicine more so that most things. We are pretty complex sacks of goo and I think in the drive to do some good and help people there is a real danger of becoming too exuberant.

I mean, I am a traditionalist so the only drugs I take are aspirin, tums, Benadryl, and opium derivatives. Usually with red wine and a nice jazz album.

Okay? You don't think that already exists in the form of test trials, research and ethics boards? And we're not mysterious, "complex sacks of goo"; we're a series of interworking systems that we actually understand pretty well now. For instance, thanks to medical science, we know mixing aspirin and alcohol can cause stomach problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Groke posted:

Flexus.

I find this super interesting because I now work with my own regions failing transit ticket system, Presto.

Basically, the Greater Toronto/Hamilton area has a government run bus and train system that they recently tried to overhaul by going from a ticket system to a pre-paid card system. This could be great if the card was easy to top-up and use, but putting money on your card online isn't instantaneous, and can take days, weeks, or just not go through. Until recently, registering the cards required you to go online, then finish the process in person, when it should really just be one or the other. Both of these were hampered by the fact that the Presto site was (it's gotten a bit better) incredibly slow and prone to crashing sever-wide.

Working with the system is worse on the other side of the counter. Go has changed their mind on whether we're supposed to charge for the card or not multiple times, and explaining how to navigate their labyrinthian website or why the card is necessary when the previous system worked fantastically make customer service a tiring endeavour. The software and hardware of the new Presto machines are terribly designed, as they crash constantly, most often on Fridays when ticket sales are high. They're blaming the additional $700 million they've had to spend on the system on phasing out the "outdated" machines, which is funny because they are built like tanks and actually work.

I wish we didn't have to spend money on brand new systems just because a previous system, which worked perfectly, didn't look Web 2.0 enough.