Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
This might be age talking but especially for X-Men that was part of the charm. As a little kid I thought they were made that way on purpose with one screen slightly different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

My neighbours growing up had one of those box projection TV's, where it was a permanent installation with a massive 50" plastic screen built into the wall and the middle of your living room had a coffee table built in the rear of which had 3 RGB bulbs aimed at the screen to form the picture. Whenever anyone got up to get a drink they had to walk past the table and block the picture.

It was in the house when they bought it and that was in 1995 so it was probably state of the art for the owners in the mid to late 80s but I don't remember anything else about it.

I wonder now if they ever got it removed or if they or the current owners are still using that massive fuzzy thing. Removing it was a partial remodel of your floor and at least one wall. It lasted till at least the mid 2000s cause its too much trouble.

It was a bit like this but bigger and newer with the screen making up a wall and the projection box separated to aim directly at it and integrated into furniture.

jojoinnit has a new favorite as of 04:29 on May 12, 2013

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Memento1979 posted:

But think about the re-tooling costs required to sell the phone in non-English-writing locations. The hardware keyboard is gone, my friend.

Many Nokia's had removable shells and keypads that could be swapped out for different colours or languages on a whim. They still sell them in local phone shops in the UK.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

WebDog posted:

I recall the P5 Glove appearing around the early 00's.

I have no idea what the VR headset is but it's a fantastic image regardless.

There were a chance few games that supported this, such as Black & White and Hitman 2, and it eventually fizzled out as a novelty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoKD-R1zlpw
The video kind of shows how sluggish the thing was to use.

I had this! I used it exactly once, it was cool to move the mouse with my hand and click on things by tapping my finger for about ten seconds.

Your movement was limited by the range of the big purple tower you had to keep opposite your hand. Cant go too far out the line of sight. I do still have the copy of Hitman 2 it came with though! (I got them on the tail end and it was cheaper to buy that than the game by itself)

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Manky posted:

My million-dollar-idea is a two page ereader with screens on both sides of each page and a 360 hinge so you can "flip" infinitely. Preloads pages as you flip so you never see load times, maybe an option to keep an outward facing page displaying the book cover.

It hasn't worked out that great for tablets so far:

The Sony Tablet P is as good as obsolete. A dual screened Android tablet that probably made way more sense in production. It even came with a few full PlayStation ports but there wasn't much more on the PlayStation store at the time. I almost bought it twice, but its the sort of thing that has too many obvious downsides for each good bit, such as the huge bezel between the screens breaking up some apps and the corners not being rounded off made it small but sharp.