Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Hell yeah, obsolete PC gaming controllers.

I remember the Gravis Gamepad totally blew my mind when I first saw one in the early-to-mid 90s, because as a kid I thought only Nintendo and Sega had controllers like that. Never had one of those myself, though, my family didn't buy a computer until 1999 and by that time there were far better controllers available.

I played the poo poo out of EA Sports NHL and Carmageddon 2 with this thing. (I always wanted the one that had tilt controls, but never bought one for some reason) Looking back, the D-pad was kinda crap (a lot like the one on the original Xbox controller, actually), but back then it didn't matter so much. Besides, it was still ten times better than the one on the controller I got a few years later:

The Logitech Cordless Rumblepad before they redesigned it to be more like the Dualshock. This thing was an unholy monstrosity. Not only was it massive (it was at least as big as the Xbox controller), but the buttons were horrible and unresponsive and the sticks were cheap plastic crap. And that D-pad... :gonk: You couldn't do any precise movements with that thing, ever. Playing fighting games on emulators was completely impossible unless you used the stick instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The original Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel was awesome. So many hours spent crashing old Formula One cars in Grand Prix Legends. :allears:

The force feedback on that controller was so powerful that smaller objects would fall off the table when you went offroad in Midtown Madness.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Old PC game manuals were amazing, especially ones for sim games. I still have the manual for Grand Prix Legends, which has several hundred pages and tells you everything you ever wanted to know about 1960s Formula One cars in an entertaining manner.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Apparently, ancient versions of AOL still sort of work on modern systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA1tLxfdif4

Most of the old content has been taken down, but there's still plenty of creepy chatrooms you can check out!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

eminkey2003 posted:

If you like crummy old consoles, you probably know the 3DO and CDI, but this article names some really obscure machines.

http://www.gamesradar.com/chasing-phantoms-history-failed-consoles/
I still want a Vectrex, it's pretty much the coolest thing ever. An early 80s game system that uses vector graphics and has its own built-in CRT monitor? Hell yeah! (I may also have been watching too much Classic Game Room)

Unfortunately, getting one of those shipped to my part of the world costs a fortune because they weigh a ton and are rather fragile. :saddowns:

edit: about the Neo Geo AES:

quote:

It was a technical powerhouse capable of producing titles that looked and sounded almost exactly like their coin-op counterparts.
No, GamesRadar, they didn't look and sound "almost exactly" like the arcade games. The Neo Geo AES runs on the exact same hardware as the MVS arcade system, so the games are exactly the same from a technical standpoint and the only differences were in the game options (credits, difficulty settings, etc). You can even bypass that and make the games run in MVS mode by using a third-party BIOS, making them work exactly like the arcade version.

e2: Yes, the CD-I is terrible, but did you know they made different controllers for it? The person writing this article apparently didn't, otherwise he probably would've mentioned the controller that is literally a Gravis Gamepad:

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Jul 12, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Humphreys posted:

The UniBIOS is fantastic.
I bought one recently but haven't installed it yet. I hear it's supposed to be easy to install, but I've never soldered a thing in my life so I need to get some practice before taking a soldering iron to a Neo Geo (or outsource the job to someone who is more competent at that kind of stuff).

edit: Maybe I should say something about the Neo Geo MVS arcade system for those of you who aren't massive retro gaming spergs. MVS stands for Multi Video System and is an arcade board that supports more than one game at once (up to six, I believe), which made it a cost-effective system for arcade owners. No need to get a new purpose-built cabinet for a new game, just buy the cartridges and replace the games as you please! You guys in the US had these really cool red MVS cabinets, but here in Finland I only ever saw Neo Geo boards plugged into generic brown wooden cabinets (as a kid I always wondered what the deal with those was). These days, you can get consolized MVS boards that you can plug into your TV and use like a regular games console:

That is my consolized MV4FT. All the games are active, the system cycles between their attract modes and you just press start when it's at the game you want to play. MVS cabinets had a button to switch games, but as far as I can tell there isn't one on this thing. You do have the DIP switches on the side, though, so you can mess with the game settings however you please, change regions (blood was censored in the US region games) and that kind of thing.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Jul 12, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

quote is not edit

Anyway, that part should be a bit clearer now. I choose to believe what you posted actually is how they censored the US versions, though.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Jul 12, 2015

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

pienipple posted:

The Neo Geo collecting scene is super interesting because there's a decent chunk of people who make their own console from salvaged arcade cabinet boards, and arcade ROM carts are the cheaper way to get some games.
Yeah, some games cost a fuckton if you're looking for the home console (AES) version, and even though the arcade (MVS) carts are getting more expensive lately they are still far more affordable than the home console releases. A while back I managed to get the arcade cart of Metal Slug 3 for about $100, which might seem kinda steep until you look up the AES version and find out it costs ten times as much. :shepspends:

I've never touched a Jaguar or a CD-I, but I do own a 3DO and I kinda have a soft spot for it even though the 3DO Company totally mismanaged the whole thing with the pricing and licensing. I still love Road Rash and The Need for Speed, and there are several high quality ports* of PC games from the early 90s (as well as a couple of impressive conversions of arcade games) on the system. Obviously, the 3DO was never going to be able to compete with the PlayStation, Nintendo 64 and Saturn, but I don't think it quite deserves to be lumped in with the likes of the CD-I either.

*The 3DO port of Doom is infamously bad, but that was another case of bad management rather than a problem with the hardware itself

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Jun 11, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

About 2 Trinitrons

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7LV4LkBFo

All I really know about Opel is that the Manta has a legendary reputation in Germany as the vehicle of choice for a certain type of teenager (here in Finland, the rough equivalent would be an old Toyota Corolla). A lovely old Manta also participates in the Nürburgring 24-hour race every year, complete with a fox tail hanging off the back.

edit: I am in no way an Opel Manta scholar so my information may be slightly inaccurate

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 11:26 on Sep 5, 2019

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

twistedmentat posted:

I still don't understand why the Ps4 doesn't have Ps1 and 2 games available in the PS Store. I have no working PS3 controllers, so all the games I bought cheap from the earlier 2 consoles that i have on it are inaccessible.
It has some PS2 games, but the selection isn't great and you have to buy them again even if you already bought them for the PS3 so gently caress that.

Sony has said backwards compatibility will be more of a focus on the PS5 (presumably because Microsoft has been knocking it out of the park with their Xbox BC stuff and they want to compete with that), but so far all we've been told is that it'll play PS4 games. I guess PS Now streaming for PS3 games will still be a thing as well, but... well, it's streaming.

Content:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWLVbiLf-SQ

LGR looks at the Creative 3DO Blaster, a 3DO console on an ISA expansion card for Windows 3.1 PCs. Almost all of the good games on the 3DO were either ports from PC or would get ported to PC later, so I'm not entirely sure what the audience for this thing was.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 01:48 on May 29, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

By the time I was ready to buy a PS3, the current models no longer supported playing PS1 games.
I missed this earlier, but I should probably mention that the PS3 still supports PS1 discs regardless of the model. All they ever removed was PS2 backwards compatibility. You could've played Chrono Cross on your HDTV all this time.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Wipfmetz posted:

Really? Is there a reason why PS2 got dropped? I would have guessed that PS2 is more similar to PS3 than the PS1 was.
Really! PS2 backwards compatibility got dropped early on in the PS3's life after a short period where they replaced the hardware-based PS2 compatibility with emulation. There were also some models that had the graphics processor but not the Emotion Engine, which was emulated instead (I thought I got this completely wrong but no, partial emulation models were a thing although I had the EE and GPU backwards)

This was apparently done to cut costs, although I'm not sure how much money Sony really saved by cutting the PS2 emulation as well as the hardware-based BC. The performance of the emulation itself is actually different between these models and the emulated PS2 Classics releases they started selling a few years later, as the Classics seem to have more glitches and other issues.

As for the PS2 and PS3 being similar, that's not really the case because the architecture is completely different.

e: And yeah, PS1 was always emulated on the PS3. Sony apparently hired some of the people who worked on Bleem! and the Connectix Virtual Game Station to handle their PS1 emulation stuff, and they did a great job.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 09:53 on May 27, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

A PAL Wii can also get YPbPr with component cables, which is the best option because it also lets you enable 480p resolution in the system settings. This setting is only for Wii games regardless of region, so you have to enable progressive scan separately for each GameCube game that supports it. PAL GameCube games don't support 480p natively at all because gently caress you, but you can use a homebrew utility called Swiss to force PAL GC games to boot in progressive mode and it generally works fine.

Speaking of 480p, the original Xbox also doesn't support it (or 720p, which some games ran at) in the PAL region and you had to mod the resolution options back in. At least it had 60Hz as a system option.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The silly bit is PAL Xboxes don't support high resolutions because they just didn't put the menu options to select them in the UI.
Yeah, that was very silly. I guess MS figured it was simpler to replace the resolution toggle with the 50/60Hz option instead of adding a new setting in the menu? Or maybe they just hated us, which generally seemed to be the case with PAL games back in the day. :v:

I mean, if I had to choose one I'd definitely pick 60Hz over progressive scan, but there's no reason they couldn't have included both options.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 01:31 on May 29, 2020

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

evobatman posted:

Just softmod your xbox (like you should have already done with your wii), and switching between PAL and NTSC high-res modes can be done in seconds.
Well, yeah. It was just kinda annoying those features weren't enabled in the first place.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Shibawanko posted:

is component better than regular RGB scart?
It depends. Later consoles support higher resolutions through component so it's better for 480p (technically, RGB cables can do 480p but very few consoles support 480p via RGB) and high-def stuff, but for 240p/480i use either one is fine and it largely depends on your setup. Some HDTVs have problems receiving a 240p signal via YPbPr because 240p is more of a video trick than a proper resolution, but HDTVs tend to have issues with 240p regardless for that same reason.

I don't think I've ever seen a PAL consumer CRT with component inputs, but older HDTVs had both RGB and component along with HDMI.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Humphreys posted:

This is what I see at all my friends houses that have their TVs mounted waaay to high on the wall.
At least modern TVs won't smash through the floor when they fall off the wall mounts, I guess. :v:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

madeintaipei posted:

Huh. Never seen one like that.
Am I missing something? That just looks like component cables, albeit with the audio cables clearly marked for once so idiots like me don't accidentally put the red audio cable in the red video input.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

DrBouvenstein posted:

You reminded me that the Tribal Tattoo Gameboy Advance SP was a real product:

The Aughts were an... Interesting time.
I own one of these!

(pictured next to my Japanese PSP-3000, which I really should've cleaned beforehand)

The properly backlit AGS-101 model of the GBA SP got an extremely limited release in Europe in 2005 (slightly less limited in North America), so when I learned of its existence some years later and went hunting for one, the least overpriced one I could find was this tribal tattoo monstrosity. Of course, the original frontlit AGS-001 SP was also available in this... style... so not all of these have the brighter AGS-101 screen.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Dec 12, 2023

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I could've sworn I posted my Sega Nomad here recently, but looks like I actually didn't. So, here's the Game Gear's even more cumbersome big brother!

Demonstrated with the very finest software, of course. Now, this brick doesn't actually have a built-in battery compartment and instead uses a separate battery pack that attaches to the unit (there was one that took six AA batteries and another that was just a rechargeable battery pack) so you can enjoy two or three hours of Bubsy on the go... provided you handle it carefully, because it's pretty easy to knock the battery pack loose or cause the game to crash by moving the unit around too much.

I don't have either of those battery packs or any of the newer aftermarket ones because I have no intention of ever taking this beast anywhere, so I just plug in the AC adapter whenever I feel like using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Kamrat posted:

I wanted a Sega Nomad so bad when I was a kid but as far as I know it never released outside of the US.
Yeah, I'm in Europe as well and this thing was never sold over here, but I did see it in magazines and thought it was cool as gently caress. I bought this one and a couple dozen games on Ebay about a decade ago and it is indeed cool as gently caress despite its obvious flaws and general awkwardness.

I do have to use a step-down transformer for the power adapter, which isn't a huge deal because I have a couple of those for my other NTSC systems. I think it's just a regular Genesis model 2 adapter and I could probably get a modern third-party power brick that supports both EU and US standards, but I just haven't gotten around to it because the Nomad is more of a display piece than anything.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 22:16 on Jan 31, 2024