Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Delivery McGee posted:

My grandmother had one of those. She never saw the point in paying the extra 37 cents a month for touch-tone, but my mom bought her one so she could bank by phone. A few years ago my mom and aunt got together and got her modern phones and service, but she was using rotary phones well into this century (and still had one on the back screen porch until she died last year in case anybody called while she was out tending her plants).

Slide rules, typewriters, and wristwatches have already been mentioned, but I kind of collect them, so have some more:

I've given a couple to friends and bought a few since this picture/last time I counted them, but I had 13 then. As others said, great for filling out forms and such. You can still get ribbons for the manuals (sold for printing calculators, you have to rewind it onto the spools that came with the typewriter) and film cartridges for the Selectrics at any decent office-supply store.

If you ever have too many, I will totally buy one off of you. I collect the damned things.

Even though you say you can get 'em by buying the printing calculator ribbons, but I can't even find those at my local stores . My local stores suck nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ron Burgundy posted:

All this talk of the death of still photography film is a sad reminder that film is almost dead in cinemas too. I'm not sure of the exact amount, but the digital rollout is well over 50%, but 35mm film was the prime means of theatrical distribution for over a century. Let me present my hobby that is comprised of 100% obsolete technology.

This is the finest purpose built portable 35mm projector that money would buy you in 1960. The Philips FP3. Designed by Jan Kotte, the man who also designed the best film projector ever made, the DP70.

That's portable?!

Yeah you really couldn't get much smaller for 35mm. It did also ship with a fold up tripod for actual portability.

Those are 2000 foot magazines attached. That's 20 minutes of film. If you wanted continious performance you needed a pair. There is a larger 6000 foot film magazine for this machine but thats still only an hour before you need an intermission.

So what's the difference between this and my 8/16mm projector?

35mm projectors were mechanical workhorses that had very little internal electronics and relied on external equipment for things like power supply, audio processing and amplification.

This is the Dolby CP55 Cinema Sound Processor. This was the most cutting edge piece of equipment your theater could have in 1985 for turning little squiggles on film into surround sound. It has Dolby A type noise reduction. SR had yet to be invented.

The processor is completely modular to enable 0 downtime for component failure.

So the actual films for this thing are going to be really big and bulky aren't they?

Oh my gently caress yes. All of these reels make a single 102 minute film.

(DVD for size comparison not what's actually on the reels)

The films are off-market items. 35mm prints were never intended to break a cycle from film distributor and cinema. Once the film had completed its run it was sent back and either kept for future showings or destroyed. But like any good system things escape anyway. This is why a list of available titles is not a thing and the pricing is an unregulated collectors market.

How does the sound work?

Good question, the modern 35mm motion picture film holds many sound formats, which I think this article explains better than I could. My projector only plays the oldest format, analog sound. By shining a bright slit of light through the modulated soundtrack area onto a solar cell.

Everyone is gonna call me pathetic, but this almost made me cry.

I remember going to the theatre as a kid, and sneaking peeks into the projector room, and it was like this amazing world of whirring machines and whizzing film going by at breakneck speeds. I was entirely entrance when that door opened, and several times tried to sneak in.

I feel somehow cheated knowing that when I go to the theatre, it's just a bloody DVD they're playing for me on the projector. Hell, I have a goddamned DVD player. Motherfucker. The only thing is missing is the giant rear end everything.

E: I didn't mean this to be newpage. I'm sorry for lame newpage.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

univbee posted:

I don't think there's much left in the flight stick world, mainly because there's very little in terms of flight sim software being made these days, but they're still available from Saitek and possibly a few other manufacturers.

You said it, bro.

God,I miss myself some flight/space sims.

Descent:Freespace and it's sequel will always hold a place in my heart.

They really should reboot the regular Descent series.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I know this is a couple pages back, but daaaamn.

I really, really want this.
Descent was a game I cut my teeth on as a kid, along with Tie Fighter, X-Wing, and oddly enough, Hexen.

I would shell out all sorts of money for a real successor to any of those sim games (save Hexen, which is FPS and not a sim.)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

wipeout posted:

One obselete thing I just remembered about PC's was turbo buttons, and displays on the case showing the clockspeed. Remember those?

Man, I remember that. That was the height of coolness at the time.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Base Emitter posted:

I don't have that problem, but I do have to invert mouse-look in almost every single game I play. This is almost entirely the fault of Chuck Yeager's Air Combat and A-10 Tank Killer.

We are one.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Whoa! Thanks for the cool history lesson. I love aviation tech/history.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

Post pictures of it! Reel to reels always seemed really cool to me.

Speaking of media which comes on reels, somewhere in my garage I have my old 8mm and a box full of old cartoon reels. I wonder if they're worth anything? The reels are in great shape, last I checked.

What cartoons?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

I waaaaant to say some old Betty Boop and some other random cartoons, like one off type things? I want to say maybe some old Popeye too, but I honestly can't remember, I saw that box when I moved into the house like 6 years ago and haven't seen it since.

Holy poo poo, you have Fleischer Brothers cartoons? I know basically all film reels are a dead medium, but gently caress, it's awesome you have those! The Fleischers were run out of the business way before celuloid died, and while I don't exactly know much about the rarity of actual reels, I would assume that they would be rarer than, say, Disney reels, since they were in production for less time.

How old are we talkin' here? Black and white? Or color?

For content: The Fleischers had a different, somewhat more primative version of the multi-plane camera that Disney made so famous with Snow White. Instead of stacking it vertically like Disney did, their company shot it horizontally, and instead of multiple paintings on celluloid, the background/foreground were real miniature sets. They called it a Stereoptical Camera, and they'd move things frame-by-frame to match up with the character movement. Some of the more elaborate moving sets were put on a lazy-susan type thing to move them. It gave things a really distinct feel you don't get anywhere else.

You know... I never thought I'd use this information. Huh.

Here's a website explaining it in a little more detail, just so you know I'm not pulling things out of my rear end here: http://www.calmapro.com/popeye/hist...current=history

And here's some cool examples of what it looks like in motion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ygyKMD7Ec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtAi-bDOUjM

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

DNova posted:

Are you referring to Dataplay?

That thing looks a hell of a lot like a PSP UMD. drat.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Oh my god, my grandfather has one of those guns! When I was a kid, he told me all about how much it sucked! It is sooooooo loving heavy! Long story short, we actually found the damned thing, and kept it out of novelty. Too rusty to fire, though.

I didn't expect to see something I'd come face-to-face with in this thread!

Edit: He often used it as an example of why French people suck at war. My grandfather is... uh... Special. Yeah.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 15:30 on Jul 3, 2013

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Phanatic posted:

It's it's still fully-auto it's also a felony to even possess unless it was registered prior to 1986, so don't actually try to sell it to anyone. The ATF are complete killjoys.

Even if it's not functional? Because this thing will NOT fire. At all. Ever.

You'd have to basically completely remake the thing to fix it.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Umm... I hope it's okay if I request more obscure video game consoles?

I really like learning about that type of thing! Especially the ones like the Konix and stuff!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Auryn posted:

Do those of you who don't use fabric softener live in warmer climates? Because during winter around here, my clothes get so much static cling that if I don't use fabric softener I walk around with my pants glued to my legs and crackling with every step.

I can only speak for myself, but I would say yes. I live in loving Atlanta, and we don't really do the fabric softener thing. Well... I used to, then I went to college and became poor. It's just an expense to me.

Does it really do that much?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ah, those little ball-on-top mouses! I had several friends that swore by them in the 90s/early 2000s, but I could never really get the hang of using them myself.

Also, I was told as a kid that dryer sheets shorten the lifespan of your dryer, so only use liquid softener. Is there any truth to that?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Pilsner posted:

My high school (1997-2000) library had two regular computers with internet access. On them was a custom program installed that wiped all sorts of installed and personal files upon the computer booting, meaning you couldn't save settings or bookmarks from visit to visit. It kinda "reset" Windows on each boot.

I figured out how to beat it - upon Windows starting up, I opened the task manager with Ctrl+Alt+Del, and found it that it was a simple executable being run at startup. I killed the process and renamed the executable - woot, free use of the computer!

There was no such thing as filtering or anything back then though.

Also, in related context: When the librarian of said high school library retired in the year 2000, someone had composed a song for her that we sang in the atrium to say goodbye. It contained a line going something like "such and such, and search on Google...". My friend and I were like "haha, WTF is 'google'?" to eachother. I believe I used https://www.hotbot.com/text back then.

We just used to use proxies to get around it. But this was around 03-07, so things were a little different.

We probably got tons of viruses through that, though. I seemed to remember that certain proxies let things through. We didn't care, we were little shits that just had to check their gaia.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Gun stuff!

Well, oops. I had forgotten about its class.

I'll check TFR later today for what to do. I don't want to break any rules!

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Oct 4, 2013

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This has absolutely nothing to do with nothing, but I bet those supercomputer buildings were always nice and toasty in the winter! Also, thinking about the data center things, I also bet you could use the warm water they put off in those buildings instead of a hot water heater!

Disregard this post, as it is just dumb rambling.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

In concert, c. 1974:

He is the Space Wizard.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Luisfe posted:

Wakeman looks like a jrpg boss. That is playing his own goddamn boss theme. Holy poo poo.

He's gonna merge with all those keyboards, and attack for mega-damage.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm vaguely surprised that the US military didn't attempt to weaponize that chlorine trifluoride stuff.

...... or maybe they did.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

an air-breathing fire

This is a question so silly that it may sound facetious, but I assure you it isn't : is there a kind of fire that doesn't burn oxygen? I know nuclear things like the sun are technically "burning", but I personally don't equate them with fire in the traditional sense. Is that wrong?

I've always been taught that, to snuff a fire, deprive it of oxygen, which is why the chems that burn underwater seem mystifying to me (always figured maybe it was because there is oxygen in water). So, do these things just not need good ol' O2 or what?

Sorry if that's mind numbingly stupid, chemistry and physics are most certainly not my strong suit.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Yes, there are fires that don’t involve oxygen. In chemistry terminology, oxidation isn’t something that only oxygen can do. Oxygen isn’t even the best oxidiser.

Anything will burn in normal air will burn better in an atmosphere of pure oxygen and excellently in a fluorine atmosphere. Fluorine is like oxygen’s big brother.

You don’t need an atmosphere at all to have “burning”, though. Some things contain their own oxidisers. Gunpowder, for instance. You could fire a gun on the Moon if you wanted because the reaction doesn’t require outside oxygen—it couldn’t, because then the reaction couldn’t happen fast enough. In gunpowder’s case, it happens to contain actual oxygen, but there are plenty of explosives that do not. Silver azide come to mind, it just comes apart into pure nitrogen gas and silver dust.

The Sun, by the way, isn’t burning. It’s undergoing a nuclear reaction. Burning is just an analogy used in school.

Thank you very much! That's incredibly fascinating! This sort of thing is very cool to me, but I never got too far into it in school because I suck a huge butt at math. I really appreciate you explaining it in a simple way.

I'm actually aware the sun is nuclear, but I thought it was burning, too...? I actually have no idea what I was thinking. I feel dumb now.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

It can't play my lame-o 90s CDs!

gently caress smartphones!

Half seriously, though, kind of gently caress smartphones. They suck as phones, but they play cute games and work as an mp3 player, so eh. I kind of don't like the touchscreens,though. I can call on a regular phone without looking, while I misdial half the time on a smartphone while trying very carefully to call someone. I even have tiny little fingers, so what the hell.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Mr. Flunchy posted:

You sound exactly like my grandpa.

Sonny, back in my day, a cell phone looked like this:

Oh, I'm actually not that old, then. Oops, I guess I'm just crotchety.

Seriously, though, when I was like, 9, these things were out, and you just could not destroy them. My mom dropped hers in the toilet twice. The first time, we took it apart and dried it, and it was alright, but the second time, no go. The battery was all sorts of hosed.

I seem to remember they didn't get great service, though. Nothing is new.

E: nothing much.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This is last page, I know, but it's too fascinating to leave alone. Just the idea that physical computers have been around so long is mind-boggling to me. (I know people theorized them long before, and even wrote programs for the theoretical machines, but something that actually exists is a different thing all together.) And it's so interesting looking, so sci-fi!

I did some googling, and apparently punch card machines existed as early as the 1880s, at least according to Wikipedia, however much that might mean. That's pretty amazing, if true.

Does anybody know much more about these older machines? The idea that people were using computers back at a time that my home town didn't even have proper electricity, and often no plumbing, is loving amazing. (I'm from the middle of nowhere, btw, so that would be why.)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for all the information regarding old "computers"!

I have no actual content. I am sorry.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

E-ink is an odd technology in that it really doesn't get utilized anywhere near as much as it should. Kohl's department stores recently went to digital price tags on their display racks and used terrible looking washed out LCD screens, when for that purpose, E-ink would have been perfect and probably cost less.

I got my Kindle because of the whole E-ink thing. It looks really crisp, and it doesn't loving glow without a backlight so when I'm reading for long periods of time it doesn't kill my eyes like the Kindle Fire does. (I have one of those, too, but mainly use it for internet browsing rather than real reading. That and the cute little games on it. Plants vs. Zombies is really fun to play on a tablet, maybe even more fun than playing on a computer.)

The whole thing seems super futuristic to me, and I wish it was more ubiquitous.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Going back to E-ink a second, another thing I like about it is that the devices are tough. I can throw my regular kindle into my bag and run, and never really had to worry before I even got a case for it. I can't imagine doing that with my Fire. Tablets are so fragile, and it boggles my mind that they're being given to schoolchildren. I can't imagine how many will end up smashed per school year.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

DarthBlingBling posted:

True story: when I got my first CPU with no pins it came pre-assembled. When I went to take it out one day I thought that the pins had been pulled from the CPU and were stuck in the mobo and panicked. Took me a while to realise what had happened.

My great-uncle, who is a really excellent programmer, sucks at actually assembling his computers. He's ruined tons and tons of CPUs because of little pins and such. He'd always send it to my grandpa to put them together for him, even though he moved out west and it took forever.

I don't know why I shared, I just love the thought of this man who can make a computer do literally anything sitting there, unable to use said computer because he broke the physical components.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

Screw anti-radiation filters. I grew up playing Fallout, and I'd like to think all that radiation absorbed from gigantic CRTs I spent my childhood staring at is going to someday unlock some kick rear end vision perks. Night vision? Perception bonuses? Eye lasers? Retinal cancer? Who knows!

Haha, me too.

My mom always fussed at me for being on the computer too long, telling me it would ruin my eyes. Then, when my eyes hosed up and I needed glasses, she blamed it on the computer monitor, and cut down my time on it a whole bunch.

Is anything about the screens-ruining-your-eyes myth true? I've heard it all my life, and have never seen any actual scientific discussion of it. I've always assumed it was a new wives tale type thing.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Gosh, all this talk of computer shows kind of makes me sad! I really miss 'em. They were the thing me and gramps used to do when I was a kid. I loved seeing all the crazy new tech. I remember being absolutely taken with this motion-control joystick they had at one, a hell of a long time before the Wii was even a twinkle in Nintendo's eye.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

moller posted:

No space lasers, but Prop Cycle let you bicycle through the sky in a bizarre (steampunk anime?) fantasy land.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2qFz1yw4Xo#t=60s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_y7LVrQVdw

This is cool as hell. Wish I knew an arcade that had one!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

For serious, though, why not?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Jedit posted:

I love the story of how Booth came up with the vacuum cleaner. He'd gone to some demonstration a guy was giving of his revolutionary dust removing device. Booth observed that the device was merely blowing dust around the room, and that a real removing device would suck up the dust instead. "Sucking is impossible", said the rival inventor, upon which Booth demonstrated that it was not by personally sucking the dust off the settee. He proved his point, but nearly choked to death on dust in the process.

That's loving hilarious.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Now that's a project I would be wholey interested in. And oh the memories of trying to get my parents 75Mhz Ipex computer to play Interstate 76.

EDIT: Anyone remember Disc Format Film?

Oh poo poo, I think I still have some of these in my big stupid box of photos! I remember playing with them as a kid.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Gromit posted:

Yeah, a long time ago. Well, to be fair it was more of a stories thread where I had crudely illustrated some tales in MSPaint about some of the raids I and colleagues had gone on. It's been a few years, maybe I should bust out my terrible drawing skills and do an update.

Do it!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Kaizoku posted:

You don't need to plow/salt every time you see a white dot on the ground. Less than 4in? Suck it up and drive you'll be fine.

They dont generally have cold-weather tires in southern states, so driving in snow and ice is a big risk. Also, what tends to happen in Ga is that the snow will fall, melt a little during the day, then freeze over the roads and stuff overnight, causing very danderous conditions for people who have no idea how to drive in the ice.

I don't get why every other state cares what Georgia does when it snows.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Yes, they look interesting! Please do go on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Exit Strategy posted:

I've always wanted to put a modern machine into an F1XD, entirely so that I could drive a pair of VR goggles as a display and show up to ren faires as a confused console jockey.

Hell, just do it and skip the ren faire. That sounds awesome to just have as a thing.

E:

SubG posted:

I think my favourite (in terms of aesthetics) computer-in-a-keyboard is the Elektronika BK, which is a Soviet-era PDP-11 clone. Just look at the fuckin' thing (photo from the wikipedia article):

This is straight-up what I imagined when I read Neuromancer. I have never seen it before, but this is it, straight-up.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 18:47 on Aug 24, 2015