Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

flosofl posted:

God drat, I forgot how fast those heads could move when you used "draft mode".

Seriously, I would thing they would still be really useful for businss bullshit or writers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Thanks for taking the time to explain all of this (mostly so I wouldn't feel compelled to). I'll pitch in to add that the FCC will allow unlicensed broadcasts for very low-power transmitters. The broadcast radius can't exceed 200 feet, though, so your underground 24/7 Depeche Mode marathon station would only be heard by your neighbors, but you'd really only need a cheap-rear end low-power transmitter and an old aerial from a scrapyard to serve as your antenna at that point since your PC or laptop could probably handle everything else assuming it has a mic built-in or you have a headset. You could set it all up yourself in your own home for very little money and the maintenance and overhead would be almost negligible.

Obviously, you wouldn't do it as a moneymaking operation, but rather as a hobby. In the neighborhood I used to live in, there was a guy who had a setup like this in his basement. He'd cannibalized an old hi-fi console he found on a curb for his studio monitors, bartered with an aging radio hobbyist for his low-power transmitter, and used a cheap PC mic for his shows. I used to catch a few minutes of whatever the hell he was talking about when I'd get in the car to go to work every morning. Conspiracy theories, JESUS, clips from TV shows he'd recorded, and the most random selection of music ever. Dude would play Beethoven and nonchalantly segue right into Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

Do you live next to Dale Gribble?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Holy poo poo, that design. I just want to hollow that out and put something tiny and useful inside and just, I dunno, have it around. It's so, so very exemplary of its origin.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

HhhhhhMMMMMMMmmmm, that's some good cyberpunk!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Are there any actual good dedicated mp3 players these days that aren't only like 8 gigs? I can't loving seem to find one, and this is frankly the place to ask.

E: ughggh, new page. I have no content. I guess swiping credit cards are gonna be obsolete soon, since there's a new card reader. How bout that.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Mar 12, 2016

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks for the advice regarding mp3.

Also, yeah, I was saying the magnetic strips are becoming obsolete. The US has been super slow to change over, though. The place I work has the hardware for the chip readers, but can't use it yet. Have no idea what the issue is, but I'm sure the lovely computers can't help.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Prenton posted:

Erk, that dredged out a very vague memory of this thing. Mmmm, check out that stylish leather, or more probably "leather", carry case:

I can't even fathom how this works. Combinations of keys for letters like that Twiddler thing? E: yes, it does work like the Twiddler.

Also, someone please help me, because I'm on the edge of thinking that bike is kind of neat. Oh no, I said neat. There's no hope for me guys, just leave me here to wallow in nerdery forever.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 01:33 on Apr 19, 2016

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Groda posted:

The Macintosh TV. I had one as my first computer, and it was great -- you could Open Apple + Shift + 3 in TV mode and get a 16 bit color, 640x480 PICT format screenshot. I used it constantly to screen cap Wings and The Simpsons.

However, all the flight sim stuff I was into needed a 030 FPU that it didn't come with. It didn't have any expansion slot for one, either, and the RAM could only be upgraded to 8 MB from 5 MB.

Lol, you old.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

loving Christ, shut up about the Tesla already. It's neither old nor obsolete. If you want to quibble about electric cars, at least do it about old ones.

gently caress.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Many years ago I went to a Fear Factory, Devildriver and Drykillogic tripleheader. It was loving awful live.

The only type of band I've not had this problem with has been ska. I guess ska just sounds like ska no matter if it's live or recorded. Reel Big Fish puts on a fun show wnyway, though. :shrug:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's a phase. Wait until all the old persons die out and the rest will be used to the self-checkouts and then eliminate the human staff. Of course it won't work in the end but that's the idea.

Theft would skyrocket.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I knew a fucker who lashed four of these bastards together when they were at their prime. Wtf, dude. He made models for tf2 items, which made him dosh, but gently caress if he didn't spend it as soon as it came in.

He had a monster computer, but would come up short rent, and his roomie would pull his rear end out of a sling. What a dick.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Spy_Guy posted:

Sure thing. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7flZNhThrEo
I'd have posted it earlier but didn't wanna be a shameful plug. Don't know about the request to do it slowly, though, since the video is kind of old. Sure wouldn't mind making another one if there's something someone wants to see.

Also made one when I had the covers off for cleaning to show what happens if you divide by zero.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOJPPD-DfQ8
It's not super exciting, I think :ssh:

Your thumb is bigger on the end than in the middle. Wtf?

Cool stuff tho. (Don't take the thumb jab seriously, lol)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Asking cause y'all would know: is Windows 7 thread fodder yet?

Should I just give in to Windows 10? I hate it, I don't want it, but I don't wanna be left behind. :ohdear:

E: I keep going back and forth on it. I saw a game that required it the other day and got spooked.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Thenks for the advice! I appreciate it!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Cold, bruh.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I kicked over an anthill here, didn't I?

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Spy_Guy posted:

:eng101: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNwzS0VOy1E :eng101:

A tad long perhaps, but I tend to wanna cover everything about a machine. Hope you like it!

I couldn't stop myself from saying aloud "oh, yeah, that's the stuff" when it started working. Super satisfying to watch in action for some reason.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Code Jockey posted:

God drat MSXs are gorgeous. I will own one someday, when I have the hundreds of dollars to spend on a good shape working one.

I look at it, and I immediately think it is the cyberdeck that sci-fi promised me.

Word.

Every time they come up, I marvel at the design. I want to gut one and put the best poo poo I can buy in that sucker and, I dunno, be a moron carrying around their computer+ a bag full of cables. gently caress you, it's cool!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

I too would like to be shot by police when going on the metro.

Jokes on you, I live in the south where the ideo of public transportation is a loving pipe dream. :smuggo:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

whiteyfats posted:

There was this small chain called Media Play in the 90s that was nice. Could get books, music and movies all in one place. Went to the one in Gainesville, FL a lot, then it up and shut down one day.

Media Play used to be my paradise when I was a kid.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

DiscoDickTease posted:

I suppose my new old tv qualifies as long gone tech: a 1981 Zenith Console TV with Space Phone!

My tv has a fuckin' telephone built into it! There is a telephone cable coming out of the back and plugs into the phone jack and you can call and receive calls through the tv! You press the phone button on the remote and start dialing and the tv will ring and show the number on the screen when a call is coming in. I need to find a new head for the cable as it got lopped off, but it should work great as the rest of the tv is flawless.

Also I think you can listen in to other peoples calls pretty easily...

http://imgur.com/a/RnwcB

and the remote in question

http://imgur.com/a/NvMh3

They are both beautiful.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah, that poo poo sucks.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Vanagoon posted:

Gear's Avatar has an interesting effect when the two images get out of sync with one another. Seems to happen more often on slower computers.

Or my phone. Half the time it's slightly out of sync. Not today, though!

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I, too, have been asking this question. Scooter from Sleep With Me really wants me to set mine up, god love him.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

So, can anyone in the know confirm my suspicions that the audiophile thing is dumb guy jackoff nonsense?

Because, in my gut, I feel most women wouldn't be into this nonsense.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Last time I used firewire for anything, it was for transferring video stuff when I was in college

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Regarding being spied on by gadgets: I consider watching goons masturbating a cruel but fair punishment for the crimes of selling data.

I bet this modern world is paradise for those people that are into being watched.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Picked this up at a sale the other day. Pretty sure it's blown, and the base is cracked anyway.

I keep poo poo like this , well because it's cool, but I was thinking if you opened it up, put a couple lights in it, and make it part of a display or artwork.

....I have storage units full of "neat" items that I am waiting to find the right person for. :smith:

What is this wondrous beast? I'm fascinated.

And, am, in fact, an artist that would be more than thrilled to see your whirligigs and tech whatsits.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Yeah, I used to work night shift at a service station and local little gang of teens constantly tried to bribe me. After a month or so they actually realised I was never going to give in. They were otherwise good and I let them skate and BMX on my forecourt all night and gave them food from the hotbox that was going to go in the bin anyway. If anything it was a mutual sort of arrangement, I had kids keeping an eye out for drive offs and they had someone safe to hangout.

I used to feed the taxi drivers too but had ones wife call me banning me from giving him meat pies cos of his high cholesterol. His face was a priceless mix of depression/anger when I denied him his late night snack.

I have been depressed, and this made me smile. Thanks.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Imagined posted:

I inherited a wooden spoon.

I inherited early onset arthritis.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Michaeldim posted:

[snip, double-post]

Since my double post rolled into a new page, here are some pics of an abandoned CompUSA in Roswell, GA that still has (most of) its sign as of a week ago when I took these.

Sigh. I used to go there when I lived near.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I've never even seen a car.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

My wife and I's first real movie date was seeing The Spirit.

We almost walked out. After, we bitched about it with some random couple who we heard also bitching. That was the best part of the movie.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 22:04 on Mar 22, 2022

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

ishikabibble posted:

Speaking of Tech Tangents...

https://twitter.com/akbkuku/status/1495865609002926090

Apparently the prop masters are just playing a Huge Prank on the designers because they just straight up used 90% of a Data General terminal. Like the only thing they even did was change the arrow key cluster and remove the numpad and replace it with a trackball.

I don’t know why, but that one makes me brain go brrrrrrrrr

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Phanatic posted:

There was a guy on rec.music.christian decades ago who was totally obsessed with Rebecca St. James. It was the creepiest kind of stalker, the guy would actually get in her autograph lines and then get pissed off because she acted like she didn't remember him. His obsession with her lasted longer than many marriages, it was at least a decade old when I became aware of it. This was almost at the level of the guy who was stalking Sarah McLachlan, the one she wrote "Possession" about.

He eventually became a Libertarian political candidate.

This kind of post is why I still lurk the forums.

Unperson_47 posted:

I wish I had faith in anything as much as those astronauts had faith in physics. (both astrophysics and the physics involved in their wire computer)

I kind of find it a little inspiring to think about.

Physics doesn't really change- it works different at various scales, and we're always learning new things about it, but it doesn't change. We are the ones that change. When we don't, the consequences can be pretty direct.

DicktheCat has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Nov 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

By popular demand posted:

There have got to be more offensive shotglasses out there, this isn't even worth the Malort!

... oh god, I still have Malort in the house.

Looks like I've still got fights to pick.