Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

They'd be similar to these bad boys

The old school Phillips mobiles from 99 were indestructible. I'd dropped mine, other people had thrown them against walls, dropped them in toilets, had them dropped in full pints. Put them back together or dry them out, no problem.

The G-Shock rubber cased Nokias from that time were the same too

edit: An entire two lines at a time on the screen for SMS/text messages too, and you could store upto 10 numbers I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Obselete Train/Plane chat has been amazing in this thread, but I'm going to take it to a Bus tip: The Saverstrip.

Saverstrips were purchased from Newsagents by Mums in West Yorkshire for schoolkids. I've tried Googling it but basically they were limited run cardboard strips you bought for coming/going to school in the late 80s/early 90s. Kept in a vinyl holder, you slotted them into the slot by the driver and got on, with a satisfying 'KER-CHING' noise, that stamped the bus number on it (see above) and clipped a square off the side. The saver bit came from it was always 12 for the price of 10, depending on how far you were going, ranging from 5p a trip upto the high end £1.50 a go (possibly more, mine was always 15p a go)

Kind of a proto Oystercard really. I think they became obsolete by 92/93? The buses removed the mechanical payslots and it was all cash from then on, which was obviously a good idea increasing the time for 50-60 kids to get on a bus by x3. An idea ahead of its time but also open to abuse by the fact of Bus Drivers not caring about the kerching ching ching when 30 odd all get at once in the school bus park.

Much like Oyster on certain buses in London in fact.

Link to the machines that did them:
http://www.ticketmachinewebsite.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=41334404

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Britain doesn't have schoolbuses?

Finally, an area where the US pulls ahead in education unless you live within 2 miles of the school, then your rear end is walkin

Nope, what you'd get (in my day anyway at Highschool, bear in mind I left 1995) were Public buses at the end of the school day at 2:50pm roll into the drop off point at the front of school, just off a main road, wait for the kids to roll out at 3, get on and go to you nearest stop near home. No such thing as Schoolbus picks you up from outside your house, more carpooling on a morning, walk in, or walk home, depending how far you lived away. Big rear end yellow schoolbuses we saw in films, and then my American Ex-girlfriend taught me what a Shortbus was about 6 years ago.

Edit: Clarification
Also people got picked up by family, carpooled, lifts home etc. That's my experience, in West Yorkshire. It'll be different for all UK goons up and down the UK.

Goldskull has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Jul 10, 2013

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

So obsolete no pictures on the internet exist of it, my first MP3 player was a whopping 128MB Zeon Tech one from ~2003, which consumed AAA batteries like they were going out of fashion. The price? A mighty £99.95. The only reason it's hour worth of music I could fit on it was viable was because it was free as I worked for them and we had batteries on tap there for the in-house electronic devices, it went through about 4 a week.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Fozaldo posted:

My dad used to own a general store and rented out SNES and Megadrive games all the time. Never had any problems.

Yeah the Blockbusters I worked in ~15 years ago rented PS1/Saturn games, and even a Saturn Console for 5 days at a time. Good luck trying to rent that out though, seeing as the staff took turns in perma-owning it.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Yeah the BA flight we were on recently's seatscreens have some sort of lenticular cover or plastic so you can't even see what's on them from any angle other than 'right in front of you'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't forget this one:

EDIT: D'oh! You specified PowerMac, not just PPC AIO.

The screen died on mine before the HD ever did after 7 years of constant artworking use/movie watching. The only faffing about I did was install an airport card for Wifi under the CD tray, thing was a warrior until the screen burst, the hardware was sound aside from that. Did weigh a ton though.
All the experience I've had with Macs in the last 20 years is they come broken/break within a week, or last well beyond their supposed expiry date after being flogged to death.