Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Landerig posted:

Oh hell yeah there were other XX in one carts for the NES. Hell, the guy who thought up Action 52 said his inspiration came from a 40 in one pirate multi cart.

I piss on your 40-in-ones and 52-in-ones. Check this poo poo out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6ZzKb9PhXg

10000000-in-1! This is, of course, an utter lie. In reality, it's just a handful of games broken down into their individual levels and passed off as separate games. You can play it in-browser here.

There were tons of these. The pirates that put this out had many, with 10000000-in-1 being their final release.

Multicarts are perhaps the greatest of all obsolete technologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

R.L. Stine posted:

The first thing I do if I see something unique is check how much it's worth. A lot of the cooler stuff can be worth big bucks but only to the right person I suppose.

I understand people throwing out old z80 computers and vintage stereo amps and cameras because we live in the middle of nowhere and they aren't nerds, it's just garbage to them. What amazes me is we get people leaving new flatscreen TVs and Windows 8 computers because they'd rather buy a new one than have it repaired. I'd say about 85% of the flatscreen TVs and monitors we get in just have bad capacitors, you can repair them in minutes for a few cents in parts. Not that I'm complaining..

The vast majority of the poo poo we get are old CRT televisions that really absolutely nobody wants. Every now and then we'll get a studio or CCTV monitor that's a little fancier than a TV. I'm personally waiting for someone to drop off a studio VTR.

I'm gonna take pictures of the cooler tech stuff we've hung onto on Monday but I'll leave you with what I'd consider the weirdest drop-off. It's not REALLY technology related, although it depends on how far back you go I guess. I was going through a cardboard box (always the best. You never know what's gonna be inside) and along with the heaps of composite cables and headphones there was a smaller box labelled 'Dart Gun'. I opened it up and yup, it was a dart gun. I was hoping for a proper GUN like some James Bond poo poo but it was a collapsible blowgun, looked like some touristy thing you'd buy on the side of the road in Indonesia. Cool, but not really eligible for electronics recycling. Also, it's a prohibited weapon here. We don't have it anymore.

I work at a small computer/phone/electronics/whatever repair place.

Still sounds like obsolete tech to me.

Also your job sounds pretty rad, all things considered.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

eddiewalker posted:

...How did that make more sense than a 4-track head and reversing motors?

It's amazing, that's how.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah but they don't serve the same eye-grabbing purpose, and companies have gotten really canny about how much space they let games take up on shelves. Back in the late 90s and early 2000s they were more willing to let boxes take up more real estate.

Halo 3's legendary edition was pretty rad.

The box itself is just a big ol' box, of course, but that helmet ruled.