Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

That's the been the story people have been saying with everything linux infinity BC to today.

gently caress that. -g3 -fruityloops forever, you can only get a license to use a computer if you can compile glibc WITH YOUR TEETH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plinkey posted:

It broke after about 2 years and I upgrade to this beast:

That looks like an entire laptop sized hard disc in there. My god.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 00:49 on Sep 17, 2012

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sunshine89 posted:

As an aside, much to the delight of enthusiasts (okay, foamers too), VIA rebuilt their entire F40PH fleet, with everything from a separate HEP generator and improved emissions controls to a microwave and A/C for the crew. New leads old:

I've been on this one (overnight luxury run from Montreal to Halifax) and it was pretty great. The bubble car is just as cool as I thought it was when I was a kid and it's even better going through the boreal forests in Quebec at dawn. I'd recommend it highly except for one thing: the sleeper car part is really, really, kill your legs bad if you're over six feet. Otherwise, it's really worth the extra cash, definitely a great way to start off our Maritimes trip.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Solis posted:

Toronto still uses these for GO Transit, or at least they did a few years ago when I was taking it for uni.

Nope, they've all been replaced by RFID chip cards.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Chance posted:

I don't think Linux has failed... It's very prominent on smartphones. It is terrible, but isn't exactly a failure

Who runs Linux on a loving smartphone? Even if you're arguing Android or whatever that's not loving Linux, Google puts so much work into it as to make it unrecognizeably different from apt-get gently caress MY rear end in a top hat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Croccers posted:

Also WindowBlinds is still loving around?!

Brad Wardell still needs funds for all those sexual harassment lawsuits, don't forget.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ryonguy posted:

Do you use 3D models of record grooves for audio files?

Eh, I have ~250GB and I keep my music in MP3 and M4A. I can easily see someone who likes lossless having a terabyte of music.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powerlurker posted:

Audiophiles don't listen to music, they listen to gear and the music is just a necessary evil to that end.

Pretty much. I just like listening to a lot of different music.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eightpole posted:

I really miss the wild phone designs of the 00s.

Good news! Have I got a phone for you http://www.cnet.com/news/dtoor-cyrcle-sick-of-phones-that-look-the-same-make-cyrcle/

I can't find the article where they justified that piece of trash by saying women are confused by rectangles.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

jyrka posted:

Another bit of obsolete technology in that picture: the massive cardboard boxes games and software came in in the 90s.

I picked up a USB copy of Windows 10 recently and the box is the dimensions of a CD case. I kind of miss big boxes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Honestly the keyboards aren't the problem. It's how Macs default on poo poo like HOME and END. Hit END and you don't go to the end of the line, you go to the bottom the document. Not your cursor, just your view.

And I know you can change it in the command line, but it's annoying when you're using a full sized keyboard.

You can just use cmd+left or right to go to the beginning or end of a line. It's even easier than reaching over to Home or End.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

Two key presses instead of one. Steve Jobs said you only need one button.

That's one key press including a modifier key. Come on, you're a programmer, you should know that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

deoju posted:

Huh. I'm not an bio med engineer but I figured firing potential pathogens through a hospital-wide network of imperfectly sealed tubes would be A Bad Idea. Somebody must have done the math on it and figured it was OK. :shrug:

I was in an emergency room in February that was doing just that. Seemed pretty okay to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lurking Haro posted:

How do you keep people waiting for their order if you only sell one every 5 minutes? I flipped burgers and could easily prepare a meal myself in that time. This includes frying up a batch of fries.

Even McDonalds in Japan takes your order and calls you out when it's done to keep the orders going.

Yeah, that seems like a malfunction. Up here in Canada, they just introduced self-serve kiosks at McDonalds, and the only time it takes 5 minutes is if you ordered one of the new from-scratch choose-your-toppings burgers. In that case, the self-serve kiosk assistants actually bring it to you at your table and act as your server. (Those positions were all new hires added onto the existing staff, coincidentally.)

Goober Peas posted:

Touchlamps. I was going through some tapes from the early 80s and forgot how big of a thing this was for a while. I remember loving when we would go to Sears - the window air conditioners blowing streamers, the dishwasher with the see-through front, the washing machine with the see-through lid, the wall of televisions, the Ataris on display, and the touchlamps.

Those things are the worst. My mom's husband made one, and he's so proud of it it's the only table lamp in the living room. Every time I try to use it, I just flail around wishing there was an actual switch instead.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ColHannibal posted:

Yes but would you like cheese or bacon for .75 cents more? Or a shake instead of a soda for a dollar more?

Yeah, this is a thing with the McDonalds kiosks up here. People spend a couple dollars more per order or something.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

My friend who works at ubisoft told me how they were given one and what a hunk of junk it was.

But aren't we not supposed to buy soda stream because they murder babies or something?

By way of being supporters of apartheid in Israel, yes.

Coincidentally Keurig announced it is stopping production of the Kold today. Customers are receiving full refunds, so they're really admitting they laid an egg.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

You can transport those beads wherever you want and no one will give you grief about it. Pressurized gas canisters on the other hand have all sorts of rules applied to them.

Sure, or it could just be that the kinds of idiots excited about new Keurig products think they're cooler.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

My PI got a new high-end toshiba laptop with windows 10, and within 30 minutes of booting it up the massive diagonal screen tearing and constant popups of of "The display driver stopped responding and has recovered" made it clear they never bothered testing it.

Your private investigator? Are you the femme fatale or the mob leader?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Samizdata posted:

Or, if you are like me, and you like taskbar autohide, but it sucks. So I pop up Task Manager on my second monitor, then use CTRL-SHIFT-RightClick on the taskbar to access the Exit Explorer menu option. Close it, relaunch from Task Manager, and browse the forums while waiting for it to come back up/

what

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Everybody misses the tactility of card catalogs, but nobody misses going out there when an author dies, pulling every single card from author, subject, and title, and typing in the death date. I still remember Grace Livingston Hill's death with horror. Then there was the joy, and everybody in the biz has done it at least once, of dropping a drawer when you've taken the rod out and watching the cards spill out into entropy. Basically, card catalogs provided sensory feedback -- including, importantly, the dark brown edge that said "a lot of people have looked this up" -- at the cost of enormous human labor. Librarians don't miss card catalogs at all, any more than census scientists miss Hollerith cards.

She died in 1947. You must be the loving oldest Homestuck fan ever.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elsa posted:

that dude's voice holy poo poo. he sounds like a screechy old woman from a Monty Python sketch

Yeah but that was amazing. I'd heard of that guy before but watching it - actual knowledgeable teardowns and unboxings of poo poo? Yes please.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wow I',m pretty impatient but I never felt this way. I guess PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT?!?!?

(I listen to LGR and CGR game reviews because their autismal voices are so soothing :shrug:)

CGR? Who's that?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SEKCobra posted:

Ho-lee poo poo. Finally caught up with this thread after I think like 1,5 years. Sadly forgot all those things I wanted to post about. :saddowns:

Human memory is failed technology.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humphreys posted:

Works fine browsing from my lynx browser :P

Fake Edit: I'm to hungover to remember the TV based internet client that will get you banned from here if you browse with it.

Web TV, the Microsoft/MSN abomination.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ok, makes sense. It still looks like and ancient calculator

The last 3 consoles Ive never even heard of, and I grew up in the 80/90s

Yeah what's that weird one on the bottom left?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Most new albums, all the way down to Taylor Swift pop-schlock and Disney soundtracks, are released on vinyl these days. So no, it's not just for lovely 180g remasters.

Wow, don't loving be mean to T-Swift. Back the gently caress off.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Krispy Kareem posted:

It's probably a Samsung Galaxy. Not the good ones though. The ones you get for free with a pre-paid cell plan.

Samsung is South Korean, so no way. Huawei cheap model would make sense though.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

blugu64 posted:

Well yeah, making a copy of the tape and passing it long is the only way to be free of the curse.

I just watched V/H/S 2. That tape actually turns you into a zombie if you watch enough in the right order.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

What the gently caress is the emulator one? I've been emulating since the mid 90s, and they've never looked like that.

It’s from zStrawman.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

I know audiophile chat was a few pages ago, but I bet it's possible to convince them that the human ear has insufficient range to really get the most out of their music and that with a simple DIY cranial surgery they can pick up all the frequencies they've been missing!

Paleo diet? Paleo hearing!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Curved screens like that are definitely doable. It would be expensive, but it’s for sure possible. Ultrawide monitors have similar curves and are an actual product.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phanatic posted:

There are way worse burgers than McD's.

And whoever at Taco Bell decided to make taco shells out of Doritos deserves a motherfucking Nobel.

Amen. Had one of those the other day and it was like seeing fast food God.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Laser pointers are kinda cool, the high ish power ones.

Only mentioning because there's a crossover between laser pointer and flashlight fans.

Can’t get the FAA mad with a flashlight though :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I can’t believe I’m engaging with this but there’s actual emergency call functionality on iPhones just for this kind of situation. Unlock phone, press home button to bring up PIN screen, hit Emergency, enter number, press call button. Done.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phanatic posted:

You know airplanes that carry hundreds of people haven't been built with a physical linkage between the steering wheel and the control surfaces for decades now, right? And that there's absolutely no mechanical fallback?

Yeah but your average pilot is far more skilled and experienced than your average driver - Vic, for example.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

blugu64 posted:

The AM station I listen to when I'm out of podcasts still plays the national anthem at 8am sharp :3:

The CBC, Canada's national state-backed broadcaster, does this time synching thing every day at like 1pm on their radio stations and it always makes me happy to hear even though it's just some beeping so you know 1pm starts exactly NOW. It's nice to know there are some reliable functioning things in the world, even if it's just the clocks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ladron posted:

yes, bangledesh is just a powerhouse economy waiting to explode, invest now!

More reliable than bitcoins :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

this is my kind of asmr poo poo. goddamn.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I didn’t even know Cherry was that old. That’s pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

There's one really obvious advantage, which is support. Nobody makes or supports those processors anymore, whereas if an i3 shits itself Intel's got your back.

Much as Jerry Cotton is usually wrong, I’m pretty sure Intel was supporting the radiation-hardened 386s it was selling for critical applications at least until production ended in 2007. Products like that don’t go without support. Sadly it doesn’t seem to be on Ark to get the exact support status but I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Intel would still support them now.