Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humphreys posted:

It's retro kinda I think. But The 90s had some interesting mashups of club baselines mixed with random other styles of music. Found a few tapes that my parents used to listen to (most likely high as gently caress) and loving them. drat they are just soo soothing to have as background music.

Deep Forest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwGCpx8ecY

Enigma:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSvaRuKhZJk

Probably shaped my taste in music slightly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvYRYCIAKZo

EDIT: Found the War of the Worlds Tapes about right in the memories!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tM-Ww_eGLU

Don’t forget this #1 hit along similar lines:
https://youtu.be/6PPC7s2_Qh8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Neito posted:

To be fair, you picked the type upon CAST, not upon prepare.

(:goonsay:)

Depends upon the edition, assuming we're talking about D&D.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Humphreys posted:

A pretty good list of websites that shaped the internet as we see it including period accurate screencaps of some sites.

SA naturally makes an appearance:

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/10/100-websites-that-shaped-the-internet-as-we-know-it/

Why the gently caress is ebaums world like 50 spots ahead of SA

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...onics-1.4866324

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Geoj posted:

Give it time. Eventually insufferable hipsters will decide compact cassettes have "warm" sound or some such bullshit and the medium will see a resurgence.

this is already happening, and tapes never even stopped being a thing in the extreme metal and electronic music scenes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Brother Jonathan, is that you?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Siselmo posted:

Costco Mexico still uses them, funnily enough.

I've also seen them in a few Sorianas (supermarket chain) for the same purposes.

Isn't there big distrust of banks in Mexico and therefore a lot of mattresses stuffed with bills? That would make it more likely for the Mexican Costcos to need to handle large amounts of cash.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

hey i'm cross posting from the morrowind thread in games maybe someone will know what i'm talking about :

another thing that I think this thing had was a lot of that silvered looking plastic, the matte kind? You know what I mean? They keyboard FOR SURE had one of those extremely old extremely huge barrel connectors, not the smaller one that you used to see had usb converters for.

Now that I think about it it could have had more than one row of f keys but i'm not really that sure, I do remember it having characters on the sides of the individual keys you had to meta shift into and maybe some of them were like math alpha pi numbers or something and some seemed to be command things like GRAPH

So I don’t know the exact model but yeah that’s a thing! Sounds like an old terminal or scientific system of some type. You’re probably looking for a 60s to 80s model of some description, sounds like it used an AT connector for the keyboard maybe.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

the "space cadet" keyboard, yes

Yeah, these are probably very similar if not the exact model: https://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98&start=

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phanatic posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6p

Looks to be the same generic crappy low-effort reality television as is produced everywhere else.

"Alistair Appleton helps a woman in north Devon looking for a home on a £600,000 budget."

Compelling! If that's the kind of programming you can produce when even poor people are required to pay you a license fee, I'm sold. Really puts shows like The Wire and Breaking Bad in their place.

you did not just step to Escape to the Country you absolute loving fool it blows the American comparables like House Hunters out of the water

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chemmy posted:

The last time someone from England got slapped that hard it was by John Adams.

I can’t tell if you’re trying to own me or not.

@Cojawfee: I’ve seen the same thing happen on Escape to the Country. The thing is that the show mixes up its formula enough to keep things fresh even in the rote episodes. People frequently end up in properties nothing like what they said they wanted at the beginning and loving them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

uli2000 posted:

gently caress you, Escape to the Country is a fantastic show!

THANK. YOU.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

The one I posted was actually full Windows XP, which is why they ran so bad with such bad battery life (not that WinCE was a pleasure to use). They had Intel Core Solo CPUs running at somewhere between 1 and 1.3 Ghz. They were basically updated Pentium 3 chips and most of them had some kind of micro drive for storage.

Time until LGR swims in a pile of these: six months

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Just give me a modern version of the N900, with a full proper Linux distro underneath a Qt-based interface. I want a KDE phone, dammit.

you're gonna take your E17 phone and like it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Last Chance posted:

I had a similar Cheap camera called a Jam Cam and I used it to photoshop my friends into cockpits of airlines,2 years before 9/11

and then you immediately stopped on 9/11 and did not commit any federal felonies no way no how sir

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

that case is awesome. I really like cube cases.

Cooling chat: I know one of my friends tried this at one point funneling air from the A/C vent, not sure how well it worked

How is it, being friends with Linus Sebastian?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hey I’m Ms. nerd posting on a forum in tyool 2020, don’t misgender me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vavrek posted:

My apologies if I caused any offense. I was directing that message most specifically at LifeSunDeath, who had identified with the name "abler enstin"; abler seemed masculine to me, though I'm sure it could have adequate nonbinary use, and I acted and wrote thoughtlessly with my comment.

Is Mx. nerd posting on a forum in tyool 2020 appropriate or otherwise acceptable? I've seen Mx. used but I can't tell at a glance if it's sincere, ironic, irony poisoned mockery of intersectionality, irony poisoned intersectionality, double-ironic sincere intersectionality, a confused civil engineer or railway technician looking for the intersection ...

You know, X is an intersection of two lines.

I want to end this post with some kind of dumb 'makes you think'-type smiley but I can't find one I like.
:jerry:

Mx. is sincere but it’s not gender neutral, it’s specifically for non-binary folks. I would have gone Mr/Ms/Mx nerd in your case.

e: it was a great cool post otherwise!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Toast Museum posted:

I'm not sure about that. OED's earliest use of it (1977) explicitly suggests it as a gender-neutral honorific, and that's how it's currently used by the government agencies and businesses that have adopted it. Mx doesn't appear to be any more exclusively nonbinary than the singular they.

Huh, I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
my most obsolete demonic technology was my dick

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Computer viking posted:

Isn't builders' tea strong bitter black with enough milk to make it vaguely drinkable and enough sugar to serve as a small meal?

If you have the sugar you’re ruining good tea! Come on and drink your intensely strong hot leaf dirt water!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Hell my midrange like 2018 Intel motherboard came with a PS/2 connection because some gamer pros swear it’s better than USB with less lag. And I’ve already used it a couple times.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

I just bought a brand new x570 mobo this year and it has a single PS/2 port with split purple/green marking on it.

That board? the Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

Yep. Mine is the ASUS Z270E Strix.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

insta posted:

I am trying so loving hard to come up with a reason why this is bad and I can't and I hate you for it and I'm mad I never thought of it and

reaching the power and reset buttons kinda sucks?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LifeSunDeath posted:

holy poo poo they still make GPC!?!

They just revamped them recently actually. I know this because RL Stine did a book for them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Computer viking posted:

I think this is exactly it - our first NMT "phone calls and a contacts list" phone was a dumbphone, my SonyEricsson W800 that I installed a java applet version of Opera Mobile on was a feature phone.

Feature phones are the ones with the feature of a hardcoded "WEB" button that if you accidentally touch your phone bill increases by $10 for daring to breathe in the near proximity of the Internet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

Good luck getting an executive to pronounce cuneiform, let alone spell it.

Qform is much more brandable, duh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

This is what peak coolness looks like. :cool:

Compudyne is a name right out of a Michael Crichton novel, so you're right.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Literally everything we throw away that isn't, like, compostable, will be considered an artifact within our lifetimes. Or would if we didn't throw it out.

my RPG book collection has reached the point where i'm gonna need an insurance rider for it, a great portion of which are books which have just increased in price x10 over the last 20 years

tbh, i honestly don't give a poo poo about how much it's worth. i know what the most expensive single book in it is and I pull it out sometimes to go "hey, look what this cool thing I've got is" but that's because it's genuinely cool, not because it's got a misprinted spine or something. i'm only insuring it because i'd be up poo poo creek to replace the collection if something bad happened. I collect the books to use, not to depreciate. I see guys with stuff in plastic baggies or whatever and it's just jackoff bullshit.

Arivia has a new favorite as of 10:13 on Aug 29, 2021

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Erulisse posted:

Now that is a big cup holder.

I could put my salad bowl in that thing!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

I tried to sing this inside my head to CANYON.MID

no no they said millions of homes, not millions of LGR views

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It looks like a hug robot.

it feels like it's a transformer midway through transforming, like the monitor slides forward diagonally into the L shape and what's there right now is just some weird kibble

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

generally they're higher than waist level so you'd need a little stepstool or something i guess

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

For the comparison, the first law in Finland, which made software or media piracy an actual crime was put into effect 01.01.2006. Before that making and distributing copies wasn't illegal, unless you were stupid enough to say that it was legit copy and were selling it, or you were using unlicensed software for commercial purposes.

Yeah it’s still not even a crime (non-commercial copying) in Canada, even our Conservatives passed a law that was just enough to get the US off our backs and that was it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Would there be a market for PretentiousKey? It's a keyboard that autocorrects your diction to make it more pretentious.

Like you type "awesome" and it corrects to "exquisite" and you type "Guardians of the Galaxy" and it corrects to "The Lobster"

Did you know an iOS keyboard will auto correct Elon Musk with capitalization and everything?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BrainDance posted:

I've been looking to get another Palm device, and another PocketPC. I had a Palm pro and later some Clie that was really nice. I had some iPaq, don't remember the model but it was when Compaq made them. It sucked because it wouldn't register a button press if another button was pressed down which made NES emulation pretty useless.

But I haven't pulled the trigger on buying them again yet, because now that Palm and PocketPCs are done I figure there's a "best" model for each out there. So, if anyone knows, what's the "best" Palm device and "best" PocketPC for me to get now?

Couple friends of mine had these https://www.amazon.com/VTech-Helio-Handheld-Metallic-Blue/dp/B00004XSI2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 and, for a really cheap Palm clone they were pretty cool to mess around with. Just almost no support. There was a way to get Linux running on them, and my friend did it https://www.linux.com/news/installing-linux-vtech-helio-pda/ but who knows if the stuff you'd need to do that is still anywhere on the Internet.

i found install discs for upgrading an obscure pc-tv hybrid from windows 3.1 to 95 the other day online, they're still out there

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

frogbs posted:

That's true, not sure I was so salty at that video! It is interesting that that's how they chose to include the power supply.

eh, it is like 5 minutes of him talking about why or why not he doesn't like specific existing soldering tools before he actually gets to the ryobi itself, there's a chapter marking and overlay text specifically in case people DON'T want to sit through that

in other words, it's not unthinkable to not want to engage with it, but he knew that publishing the video and did accommodate it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

I don't understand how you use those to clean your rear end after making GBS threads?

Just light a match.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Trabant posted:

I can't imagine making a high-quality cassette tape today is easy and I think it might be some kind of recording studio thing (real or imagined), but this is just :stonk:

from here.

I’m sure VWestlife will review it at some point so you can find out what all the fuss is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Adrian Black just got a Laser 200 in the mail and should be doing a repair video on it soon, this is the unboxing and teardown: https://youtu.be/DXOP0uP5P60