Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

VGA palette tricks are fun, and strangely simple - I used to play with it in basic. Basically, you draw with 256 numbered colors ("this is a line of color 72") and there is a table of which color to display for each number. The entries are full 24-bit color, and if you change them it immediately takes effect on the next screen refresh.

So if you pick a handful of color numbers and draw a gradient with them, and then cycle the color values for those, it looks funky. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The other way is to just pick the next track at random, but then you will inevitably get strings of repeats. Going for some sort of "Random but exclude the last x tracks" kind of works, but you'll still get random patterns that people notice.

Basically, people don't want "random", they want "evenly distributed".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

teen witch posted:

I’m currently dabbling in instant photography with my Instax, and it’s fun, but it’s very particular, especially with lighting. I wanted to get into Polaroid but with the costs of film and finding a camera that either still works or is worth buying new, Instax is far more accessible.

I totally get how instant photography went from pretty ubiquitous to a niche hobby with the rise of digital, having to cope with “sometimes film images will be less than perfect and that’s life!” is something I don’t see squaring with the culture. There are printers that print Instax photos from your phone and that’s a workaround - but you notice the quality difference pretty quickly, and even those still have their quirks.

Anyway this is where everyone prevents me from spending a $smokingischeaper amount on more filmpacks…

Oh you've come to the wrong place, we're here to enable all your worst impulses. As long as they involve clunky technology.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

teen witch posted:

My camera is endearingly clunky, the printer loud as hell and when the flash goes off, you feel it. Remember non-mobile flash? Spots and all.

Despite all that, it is pink and pretty adorable. Though my god FUJIFILM, whoever approves your “place viewfinder here and place the actual lens miles away” designs needs to meet their maker.

Oh that sounds annoying in a way I haven't had to deal with in decades; even the compact film camera I used as a teenager had the seeker as close as possible to the lens. I guess some of that institutional knowledge - among both makers and buyers - has been lost since then.