Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I remember my first digital camera was a Pentax Optio S that I got around 2003. It was small enough to fit inside an Altoids tin (and was marketed as such) and had a tiny screen on the back. That camera was great and I used it for probably 5 years before finally upgrading to whatever the current model Pentax Optio was in ~2008. It's funny, though, until I upgraded to a newer camera I didn't realise how poor the image quality was (high noise levels, poor low-light performance, small image size) but I'm still glad I had such a tiny and reliable camera to keep in my pocket throughout my late teenage / early college years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

ZanderZ posted:

Yea, because of this thread, I'm hunting around every Job Lot, Building 19, Family Dollar, etc. for one of those bass fishing games.

It's not the same as finding one in the back of a dollar store but you can get them on eBay here and here.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

WebDog posted:

Or the StarTAC - with such innovative features such as silent vibration!

I remember when the StarTAC came out, my mum got one and everyone thought it was so amazing because of how small it was. I think a lot of people were pretty sure that it was the pinnacle of mobile phone technology. It was also one of the first mobile phones to implement caller ID (in Australia) and when my mum would answer her phone and know who was calling it blew her friends' minds. They all thought she was psychic or something :downs: Then it became a race to make the tiniest phone possible. Once they started making SIM cards that were smaller than a credit card you could get phones that were half as big as a StarTAC and we would laugh at how huge and clunky the StarTAC looked next to these tiny phones.

Also, I remember the obsession in the mid to late 90s about making everything 'the size of a credit card'. It was a staple advertising line for gadgets and other junk. I still have a Victorinox Swiss Card which took all the tools from a Swiss Army Knife and put them into a plastic card that was always slightly too bulky to fit into my wallet. I even had a digital camera that was small enough to fit into an Altoids tin (and came with a promotional tin to carry it in).

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

DrBouvenstein posted:

So many desks that met condition 1 were essentially just tables. What good is a desk if it doesn't have drawers to put all my crap in!? :argh:

You just get a mini filing cabinet and put it under your desk like every office worker ever.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

WebDog posted:

In Australia, during the 90's you were more than likely to have landed on SBS (or channel 8 as we informally assigned it)...

I think you mean channel 28 :colbert:

I still remember a :tinfoil: letter in the newspaper explaining how if you added up the numbers of our main TV channels (2, 7, 9 & 10) it came to 28 which is the number of the 5th channel, SBS. I can't remember what the writer's point was but I'm sure it involved the illuminati in some way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
I saw this book at the local goodwill the other day:

The internet was a very different beast 20 years ago.