Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboSpy
Sep 2, 2011
I remember back in high school doing LAN parties with friends on the weekends, and this one guy would sometimes bring a second computer. This second machine had some special motherboard that had like six IDE controllers, and he just loaded the thing with hard drives, and would hook it up to the LAN to serve as a sort of local FTP so we could all share our warez totally legit non-copyrighted files. This machine was a beast - it sounded like it had a V8 in there to power its three PSUs and God-knows how many fans to cool all the hard drives packed in there. It must have cost him a fortune to put it together. It wasn't fast or anything, just packed to the brim with storage space and fans, and we always had to set it up in a separate room so we all could actually hear one another talking.

And how much storage space DID this beast have? 750 GB :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboSpy
Sep 2, 2011
Oh, I just remembered something I think my aunt used to have around - DIVX! It was some sort of weird video rental/video purchase hybrid thing around 2000 that I think was proprietary to Circuit City. The deal was that you had to have this special player that played these DIVX discs, which I guess were similar to DVDs (or VCDs, I'm not really sure). Once you played them once, the disc would expire after like two or three days, and then became unplayable unless you paid a renewal fee to your DIVX account. The player was associated with your account through a modem connection, so if you paid again, the player would know to let you play the disc.

RoboSpy
Sep 2, 2011

m2pt5 posted:

Well, that's a little different. I meant legal documents like contracts and such. For a check you obviously need the original (not necessarily so much anymore with some banks able to deposit checks through smartphone apps via photo) but for other things it's usually fine.

I routinely deposit checks to my bank with my scanner through a browser.

RoboSpy
Sep 2, 2011
Unfortunately (fortunately?) I never experienced Microsoft BOB, but I was wondering if anyone here did? All I know about it I learned from Wikipedia, though I do have vague memories of ads for it when I was a kid, and may have seen a demo computer with it at a CompUSA or something. Does anybody have stories about BOB, or a computer squirreled away somewhere with BOB still installed?