Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

WebDog posted:

I always thought this was the bastard grandchild of these.

Before VHS came about there was a market for Super 8 clips of scenes out of Star Wars.

I love that it only has the cantina and the Death Star explosion. If they made other scenes, I'd like to see a version of Star Wars compiled from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

mrkillboy posted:

I remember playing one of those! The one I played wasn't a hacking game, but rather you piloted an F-18 in third person against alien fighters. It was one of those stand alone Flash games and the frame rate ran in the single digits.

By the way, what ever happened to those crappy Flash-based games and screensavers movie websites let people download? I remember them being really popular in the late 90s and then they just disappeared. I guess mobile apps have replaced them somewhat.

Some of them still exist. For example, the Space Jam website is still online and more or less works.

http://www2.warnerbros.com/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

Totally Reasonable posted:

Speaking of linear light gun games:

This thing allowed you to (sort of) interact with a show on TV. Shooting at certain flickering patterns would increase your score, while other patterns would cause damage, eventually causing the cockpit to eject and scare the poo poo out of your cat. Once VHS degradation rendered the show unplayable, you could still use the accessories to play the stupidest looking game of laser tag in history.

I had an army playset that was sort of like that. It had a bunch of really cheap sound and light sensors that would let you play along with a VHS by launching missiles when the bad guy on the tape sent jets to your base and stuff like that. Usually it didn't work at all right, and you could set off the sensors by turning on a light or talking near it. No idea what it was called.