Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Axeman Jim, never stop posting, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
If I were to sit down and design the perfect device for slow cooking a human being it'd look a hell of a lot like the Camel, holy poo poo!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've personally been bounced out my seat on a 142 so I can tell you there is no exaggeration in that post about how bad they are. I have seen children cry upon seeing how much the other carriage is bouncing up and down through the connecting doors. It genuinely felt like something was going badly wrong on every trip.

And god the squealing and screeching they made, hooooooly shiiiiiit...

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Code Jockey posted:

Seriously!

And for real, did BR do... anything... right? Because to read what I've read so far, I wouldn't want them designing a roll of toilet paper for me, much less a passenger hauling train. :v:

We did everything right in the early days, we lead the world, it's a very British thing, we start off well then mess it up with flashes of genius sprinkled into the mix.

We are getting really good again now, but you really have to remember just how much 2 world wars cost us, we are a small place and we suffered directly and indirectly for decades after spending all our resources on war.

Of course, bucking the trend was the Deltic - I'd fight any man who doesn't adore this thing : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_55

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

When I lived in Britain I had to ride the Class 142s a lot to get from Liverpool back to Manchester. They never seemed all that lovely (apart from the interiors not having been cleaned since before the Falklands War). Of course then maybe I'm broken too, since I always felt like the seats the Pendolinos were designed by a sadist to keep you juuuust uncomfortable enough to feel lovely without actually being bad enough to complain about it. Also I'm American so what would I know from trains anyway?

Seriously, what happened to British engineering after the Second World War? You went from Spitfires and Lancasters and the Queen Mary (and dozens of lovely tank designs) to crap like apparently every single locomotive built after VE-Day.

We were skint, properly skint, combine that with the rise of the trade unions and it is a recipe for failure.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My first smartphone was a blackberry with a slide out keyboard (I liked that idea because it had touchscreen as well and I wasn't sure if I'd like touchscreens) and I got it because it was 'the business phone' - I went to install Skype and it didn't exist for it.

Sold it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ensign Expendable posted:

Gullwing doors always seemed really handy to me, especially when you park a little too close to something. How come they never took off?

If your car flips over you can't open them and you die alone, making GBS threads your pants, upside down.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Useless posted:

They actually had to install explosive bolts on the Mercedes SLS with gullwings - if you flip the car, they activate and literally blow the doors off.

And you'd really be making GBS threads your pants then.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I used to have a 42 inch widescreen CRT and it took 3 guys to move it out of my house, it was ridiculously heavy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Maxwell Lord posted:

Interestingly enough, while the actual players were ridiculously expensive, the discs were pretty cheap- cheaper, to be sure, than any VHS or Beta movies at the time.

They were less than 20 Dollars - Would you like another cheese puff?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GWBBQ posted:

How much is he charging for how many pulls and total length?

:wiggle:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
You fold a piece of card up and jam it down the side of the button like this:

This is cassette playing 101 guys, jeeeeezzzzzzz (one of your parents playing cards is perfect for this).

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mrkillboy posted:

Back in the early-1990s I used to read a lot of imported British console magazines like Super Play and CVG (I live in Australia) and one thing that really really stuck out for me in the letters sections was that they'd always harp about how you couldn't rent out games in the UK and that it was illegal or forbidden or something. Also Nintendo apparently had something to do with it as well?

Anyone who remembers care to shed some light on this? A quick Google search seems to indicate that renting games in Britain is all kosher now but I'm just curious about the different situation back then, since adolescent me going to the video store and renting out Street Fighter II for the umpteenth time was a pretty regular thing I did back in the day.

This isn't true in my experience, I used to rent Megadrive games all the time, Sonic 1, John Madden, PGA Golf, loads of stuff from various shops.

I used to hatch plans in my young mind to remove the guts from Sonic 1 and replace them with Altered Beast and return that to the shop (keeping Sonic), but I never went through with it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

moller posted:

I feel like the most impressively weird part is that instead of simply swinging shut on a hinge, the cassette deck swivels into a diagonal position like any other cassette deck after sliding out like a drawer to present the space for two tapes. It's totally gross over-engineering for no benefit I can fathom other than looking cool. I wonder if it's manual or if it has a drive like a cd tray.

I used to have one, the doors were manual but had some kind of resistive grease on the cogs so that the door action felt really smooth.
They did look cool and you could record tape to tape (even using high speed dubbing!) on them, the little spiggots in the holes in the tapes were in 2 halves, the back half controlled the rear tape the front half the front tape and they were independent of each other.

The main reason these existed was to save space, these 'ghetto blasters' were loving huge and this method of tape stacking meant they could make them smaller.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zereth posted:

Well, if it's got the extra-long spindles to drive both tapes, it couldn't just tilt in and get them through both. I'm not sure why it didn't just slide straight out then, but hey.

They couldn't just open like single tapes, the rear tape would have got caught on the tip of the spiggot so they slide out a little bit then open up, pretty cool in action.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

KozmoNaut posted:

But being absurdly huge was the whole point of old-school ghettoblastersboomboxes. With every control under the moon on the front and maybe even lights and stuff, they were built to show off.

Screw your iPods, this is portable music:

Oh I agree, but it wasn't always desirable :)

Towards the end of cassettes reign there was a shift towards 'small is best' which is why you got those odd clamshell Walkmans with external batteries etc, they were cool.

Remember tapes that spun around in the system to turn over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf4eR3ZkvoY

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
In general you need an album to build a promotional push around, it is a nice easy to manage chunk of (generally) a yearly release that you can then create a tour out of and do the promotional / merchandising rounds.

It's not much more than that, it makes sense just like anything else (yearly sports finals, whatever you want to choose as an example works).

The idea that albums were created as some sort of artistic statement is :lol: and was only adopted as such (successfully in a lot of cases) later on.

That's why they won't go away, even though singles are more popular than ever.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Out of all the people we could choose as a metric, we are going with Weird Al? :psyduck:
Is he still well known in America or something? Last I heard of him was Eat It or something in the 80s.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sham bam bamina! posted:

He had something of a comeback in 2006 with the "White and Nerdy" video, then his album in 2011 was a big deal because it was his first since 2006, and his new one is back to being "another Weird Al album". His music really would make more sense as disconnected singles, which is why he was brought up here in the first place.

I had no idea, the whole thing passed me by completely, sorry!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Mister Kingdom posted:

Back in the 60s, it was not unusual for a record label to say to a new artist, "We think you have potential, but not enough to commit to a full album. So we'll let you cut a single or two and we'll see what happens."

Used to happen to a lot of bands when I was growing up in the 90s as well but usually they'd put out an EP (extended Play - usually 4 songs) then another and then merge them as an album if they sold well enough.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Zereth posted:

I remember back when phone line modems were common there being software to interface with a fax machine on your computer. So you know, they're not any more secure there.

Fuckin WinFax - It came free with lovely modems usually and was a pain in the rear end to set up and support:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinFax

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My Father in law just got a mouse scanner and I groaned when he told me, remembering all the poo poo basically posted on this page, but it fuckin rocks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt4LpLOx0j4

Totally cool little device.

About 15 years ago, maybe less I had a car stereo that played CDs and Minidiscs, and the big thing with it was that they both used the same slot on the stereo head, basically the CD slot had a bigger opening at one end to put in a Minidisc, check it out:

http://www.minidisc.org/part_JVC_KD-MX2900R.html

I believe no other stereo did this and I remember people being amazed by it back then

Edit: User manual: http://www.minidisc.org/manuals/jvc/jvc_kdmx2900.pdf

You can see how it works in that

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Horace posted:

This VCR chat reminded me of something you don't tend to see so much on modern electronics - excessive, permanent feature labelling. It was endemic on audio visual equipment in the 90s. Look at this disaster:

HQ LONG PLAY VIDEO CASSETTE RECORDER LCD PROGRAMMABLE REMOTE CONTROL SYSTEM COMPUTER CONTROL SYSTEM CLOCK COUNTER DIGITIAL DISPLAY REMOTE SENSOR

Got some blank space here, better put some pointless text on it...

WORLDWIDE VIDEO COMMUNICATION SUPER 3-HEAD DIGITAL TRACKING HQ VIDEO CASSETTE RECORDER ALL DIFFERENT FONT SIZES EJECT BUTTON IN MIDDLE OF DISPLAY

Japanese cars also did this to a massive degree, 4X4 4WS TURBO INTERCOOLER etc all over em

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Yeah there are gaming keyboards where WADS light up a different colour to the rest of the keys, to give you the killer advantage you see

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I remember the first time I ever saw a web page, I was in college and there were about 15 of us all sat round The College Internet Computer.

The tutor told us how poo poo worked and he had a website up with text and a small picture of Albert Einstein up.

He showed us how to highlight text etc and after he finished everyone walked off, I stayed behind alone and the very first thing I ever did on the internet was sneakily try and delete the highlighted text :smug:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Aristophanes posted:

I remember the first time I tried to run something in 1024x768, and it was KOTOR. I didn't get the point of this "resolution" thing, when it made the menus and icons so small! :downs:

Way back when I had a a Saturday job at a PC place, small shop that a great guy ran and he built me my first PC out of 'bits' - I had Apple Macs at the time, mainly for college work.

I didn't realise it at the time but looking back it was a loving monster, it had 2 x Voodoo 2 cards in it and a Nvidia TNT with about 200 MB RAM, this was when Quake 2 was out.

So I never had anything run at less than MAX EVERYTHING, I pretty much saw PC games as console games, install them and run them... Pure dumb luck on my part, me and the guy are still really good mates :3:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mng posted:

Jesus, that must've been expensive.

I was so stoked when I got a Voodoo2 as an xmas present. Playing Quake in software mode with a 4 MB S3 ViRGE card wasn't a grand experience. And the textures! So smooth!

Ahhh Glide Vs D3D, I remember it well, Voodoo was smoother TNT had more colour depth, voodoo used 16 million Vs TNT 32 million I think?

The dude would literally go to the suppliers and unload all the bits he got and pull out a box for me, I had no clue at the time but yeah, that was one hell of a PC.
He even got me a 17 inch monitor, surround sound (I think only the original Unreal used it at the time) CD Writer and all that good stuff.

It took about a month or so, then he just gave it me, I loved that thing :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

The TNT wasn't really worth it back in the day, it was out-performed by the Voodoo2 on most games and the visual quality improvement wasn't all that great in the grand scheme of things. Wasn't worth the performance hit in any case.

The TNT 2 was the thing that broke through and the Geforce 256 was the nail in the coffin.

Oh poo poo, it was a TNT 2 sorry!

You had glide for Unreal and D3D for Quake 3 as I remember, although fuckery could change this with glidewrapper etc ha ha, oh god the memories :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

Quake 3 was OpenGL all the way (gotta remember, even Wolfenstein: The New Order is OpenGL. Carmack loves his open standards.)

My memory sucks I guess, sorry!

I remember everyone was obsessed with colour depth back then, looking back I think it was graphics card warrior stuff

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SwissCM posted:

3DFX was the right choice until suddenly it wasn't. It was a quick change. It's funny to think that at one point that nvidia was the underdog.

I remember that well, 3DFX just destroyed everything for a while, but you did need a '2D card' as well and I remember that unravelling for them with crap like the Voodoo Banshee :lol:

Nobody wanted the Voodoo 4 at all, we could not sell them. I guess faced with the choice of a voodoo 3 (no '2D' card needed, these were all in one) or a TNT 2, then more importantly a Geforce people just dropped 3DFX and sadly, quite rightly so. They couldn't keep up and were dearer.

Also ATI joined in at this point and their cards were great value and getting better all the time.

People were literally obsessed with the thickness of the pass through cables on Voodoo 2s and stuff like that. We used to get a fair few PCs in where 'the voodoo is hosed' when what they had done is connect the pass through cable back onto the same card, fun times.

It was a cool time but a strange time, you had some games with 'Requires POWER VR' on the box.

peter gabriel has a new favorite as of 15:56 on Feb 10, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Last Chance posted:

Anyone else use the old N64 emulator that used Glide? UltraHLE?

Yeah and then I remember there being nothing better for years and years, have I got that right?

Like, people were playing current N64 games on it, it was very odd, I was a bit freaked out by that at the time, I recall CDs with tens of games on them while they were still retailing for £50 or whatever

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I had a Creative Geforce 2MX for a while that was a well known card to where I worked because it was a Geforce 2 that had been gimped somehow and people could ungimp them or something.

The card I had most love for was the ATI 9800 Pro Gold, man that thing lasted ages

http://www.cnet.com/products/ati-radeon-9800-pro-128mb-agp/specs/

peter gabriel has a new favorite as of 16:42 on Feb 10, 2015

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I used to sell about 100 Geforces a week and about 6 Matrox's per year, it was always a nice surprise when someone wanted one!

I remember the DVD cards we used to sell, they were called Hollywood something or other?

This was when I was the top sales dude for the leading retailer in the UK at the time, I never thought about it back then but for over a year I was literally the best PC parts salesman in the UK :smug:

I used to sell to the Govt, Huge companies, the lot. Good times but lovely as well. I have forgotten a lot of it now but I used to know about every single thing out back then pretty much inside out.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

High Protein posted:

Yeah the N64 stands out to me as the platform that had the best emulation while the platform was still current (though I guess the Wii was the same?). And indeed, UltraHLE was the best for quite a while. I remember putting my old Voodoo2 in my Pentium 3 to be able to play GoldenEye on it. Later Project64 came to be the best emu though.

There was also this other N64 emulator Corn or something, only Mario 64 worked on it, but it did so well enough I could play it on my P166-MMX.

I definitely remember seeing Ocarina Of Time in 1024 x 768 while my actual N64 owning buddy cried tears of jealousy :lol:

blugu64 posted:

They were essentially a hardware MPEG decoder. The king poo poo thing to do was get one running on Linux, and use it to watch the Matrix.

A weekly occurrence at work at the time was seeing one of the tech support nerds upset because the film he spent 48 hours encoding had sound that was out of sync by a couple of seconds

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mng posted:

While we're down memory lane; early CD-ROM burners that did not have buffer underrun protection. Having to sit and wait for up to an hour for the disc to be burned, and then discover it had turned into an expensive beer coaster was a bit frustrating, to say the least.

I managed to get a very early BURN PROOF writer, back when you could sell copies to people for 10 quid a pop, and not dodgy software either, like copies of their files :lol:

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I had a 9700 Pro for ever and ever; that was a great family.

Yeah mine saw me through 2 PCs which is a feat that has never been repeated I don't think, very good cards

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I remember a few years ago seeing a breakdown of HPs profits and the ink sales accounted for something crazy like 50% of them, it may have been bullshit, I am struggling to find anything to back it up now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

No I'm not drunk.

Why not?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I print out important emails and put them in front of me so I don't forget about them :3:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

An Angry Bug posted:

Oh god, the IT thread tales were true.

Hey, I don't want to forget anything!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

The Brother HL-22700W is way loving better than it has any right to be, for as little as it sells for. WiFi AND an autoduplexer? And it doesn't weigh a metric ton? Sign me the gently caress up :dance:

I've got its hot colour sister, it has a touch screen and does A3 at a push:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-MFC...her+mfc+j4510dw

loving £100 ink :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

She only dresses like that for attention. It's what's on the inside that really counts (gently caress inkjets, laser 4 lyfe)

What's inside is my wages ha ha.