Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnwohl
Dec 8, 2011

WebDog posted:

I recall around 1999 there were miniature mobiles that had to be controlled with a dailing wand. They were utterly impractical as they could barely hold any numbers - something like 12.
There was a commercial highlighting it's size where a man's trying to find his phone in his jacket and resorts to calling it up from a pay phone.

Motorola Vader?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnwohl
Dec 8, 2011

Totally Reasonable posted:

Speaking of linear light gun games:

This thing allowed you to (sort of) interact with a show on TV. Shooting at certain flickering patterns would increase your score, while other patterns would cause damage, eventually causing the cockpit to eject and scare the poo poo out of your cat. Once VHS degradation rendered the show unplayable, you could still use the accessories to play the stupidest looking game of laser tag in history.

Captain Power was awesome. The toys not only worked with the VHS tapes, but also the TV show! Let me tell you, it was better than having Mortimer the pen for Picture Pages by a huge margin.

Johnwohl
Dec 8, 2011

TommorowComesToday posted:

Alright so I was searching my memory for old stuff I used to have, and I remembered some hilariously terrible computer peripherals:

Quest For Fame - Featuring AEROSMITH!

So yeah, Quest For Fame was an FMV game that was a precursor to Guitar Hero/Rockband/Rocksmith from 1995 that came with a BADASS peripheral called the "V-Pick" which for the goddamn life of me I could never get to work on my 486DX/2. It wasn't until years later on my AMD K6-2 400 that I could even get the drat game to run, and found out it was awful.

Behold! The "V-Pick" in all it's glory!

Yes, this pile of crap I believe terminated in a joystick plug (game controller on an ol-fashioned sound card), but would only work with very few driver sets.

The V-Pick was supposed to be a big introductory piece of equipment set to showcase a big line of games from the developer, and I'm sure we can all guess how much fun strumming a tennis racket in time with music is.

The Microsoft Sidewinder Dual-Strike

http://www.fakeplasticrock.com/2010/06/the-original-virtual-guitar/

full size guitar controller for the same game. I had it. It was terrible.