Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
To chip in on the whole bank stuff, credit cards aren't very popular in the Netherlands either. Partially because you can pay with your bank card pretty much anywhere, while paying with a credit card is pretty much unheard of (at least at a physical store). Similarly for online purchases and whatnot, transferring the money via online banking is reasonably fast and free of charges while paying with a credit card usually incurs a fee, if it is at all possible in the first place. To top it off, pretty much all banks and other CC providers charge like 20-30€ just to get a card.

So there you have it, people get a bit annoyed if they have to spend that kind of money just to be able to spend the occasional :10bux: at places that only take a CC, which more and more boils down to the US.

Content: 10Base2 networking. 10 megabits a second max over nice chunky coaxial cables. Connectors were a good bit more sturdy than those plastic RJ-45 ones though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The IC4 isn't the only fuckup courtesy of AnsaldoBreda. Meet the V250. Scheduled to run on the highspeed link between Belgium and the Netherlands, it was delivered about 6 or 7 years late. Pulled from service after 39 days because they were already falling apart. 39 days.

Ever since they've been pulled out of service in January this year there's been a on going slap fight as to who's to blame. Ansaldo claim the trains haven't been run right, politicians are busy trying to score some easy points in the media by piling on the lovely build quality and the operators are looking into completely replacing them. They way it's looking right now it's unlikely they'll ever resume service at all.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
As far as nuclear powered devices go, you could argue that anything that runs on electricity is nuclear powered if the majority of it is supplied by a nuclear power plant. It's a bit of a reach, but still.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Put two lightning bolts right next to each other and you got yourself some lovely SS runes. Which is a bit of a no-no, so maybe it's just that.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Non-super duper cameras on mobile phones aren't the reason most peoples photographs suck. Their pictures weren't that great back when everything still used film. Mostly because people that I know of either used cheap disposable cameras or some inexpensive point-and-click camera and couldn't frame a shot if their life depended on it. High quality SLRs or just cameras with good optics were practically unheard of, and even then only brought out for special occasions.

Film for them cost a mint so it took forever to get them developed because so few shots were actually taken. Have fun seeing back 3 birthdays, a wedding and 2 Christmas diners at once, that is if the developer didn't ruin them.

The real change is now that people can take pictures with their phones, they can actually take one when they want to because they have their camera with them instead of it gathering dust in a drawer somewhere.