Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Geoj posted:

Don't ask me how we've made it four pages without these mentioned...

PDAs

Kind of like a smartphone, only without the phone and a whole lot less capable. Kind of a crude handheld computer that could do rudimentary internet browsing, some multimedia and mostly e-mail and scheduling/calendar functions. I never owned one but knew a few people who did and never really saw the point in dumping hundreds of dollars on one.

Although they definitely were a stepping stone to the smartphone as we know it today so I guess they weren't a complete failure...

The PDA wasn't a failure at all. Betamax and Virtual Boy were failures. PDAs were really useful before the technology made smartphones practical. There's lots of good, important technology that's just obsolete -- nobody would decry VHS as a failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
edit: this post sucks.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Jul 15, 2012

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

morothar posted:

Obsolete? I carry that thing in my work bag and use it every day - others call it the "waffle iron" or any number of other names. The fact that it gives me several lines of preceding results that I can jump back to makes it indispensable to me. Plus, I can always beat sales or ops people to death with it if they don't want to see reason :v:

In fact, I've been looking for an alternative recently to cut down on the amount weight I tend to carry around, but there still is nothing better out there.

It makes me wonder why. I mean, by 2012 standards, the technology can't be either expensive or complicated. Yet, the drat thing is huge and clunky and still costs a hundred bucks? Nobody has made a competitor to the TI-83 to undercut them?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

MOAR posted:

80's Robots, I thought they would take over the world dammit.

Tab and New Coke are obsolete technology in their own right.