Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

also what triggers breathing/gasping reflex is an abundance of CO2, not a lack of Oxygen.

So it would literally be like being high up on a mountain.

(also the startling realization that you can potentially asphyxiate if you open enough bags of chips in a closed space.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Moly B. Denum posted:

Oxygen isn't the only oxidizing chemical. Something like Chlorine trifluoride can make just about anything burn, can't be extinguished and reacts violently with water. Some other things that burn under water are a mixture of fuel and oxidizer, like gunpowder.

Hah!
This lovely Stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4l56AfUTnQ

in order posted:

'Plexiglas, a rubber glove, clean leather, not-so-clean leather, a gas mask, a piece of wood, and a wet glove'
:allears:

Also from The amazing blog:

Crazy rear end Chemists (can't believe I wanted to be one) posted:

There’s a report from the early 1950s (in this PDF) of a one-ton spill of the stuff. It burned its way through a foot of concrete floor and chewed up another meter of sand and gravel beneath, completing a day that I'm sure no one involved ever forgot. That process, I should add, would necessarily have been accompanied by copious amounts of horribly toxic and corrosive by-products: it’s bad enough when your reagent ignites wet sand, but the clouds of hot hydrofluoric acid are your special door prize if you’re foolhardy enough to hang around and watch the fireworks.

So yes. There are things which cannot exist in nature because their own existence causes them to violently cease existing as a whole.
Humans have crazy levels of Hubris.

[e]:VVVV Rail guns are of much superior utility. Not much way to get rid of heat in space unfortunately.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 01:13 on Jan 12, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh man please tell me that little toggle switch there doesn't control any vital functions.

Even better.
It's a turbo toggle.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lasik is good.

Also theres this now:
http://enchroma.com

(expensive though)