Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

peter gabriel posted:

I don't think that though :)

My experience was to get a Blackberry with a slide out keyboard ages ago, then I got a Note 2 a couple of years back and every hang up I had about touch screens wasn't true anymore, they moved on a lot.
I think it's just one of those things (for me definitely) where you have to take the plunge, live with if for a bit and then one day realise you don;t worry about it anymore.
The benefits outweigh the initial negatives in no time.

Yeah, I know that that's true, the adjustment thing- I just never believe it, no matter how many times I've been through it in the past, until it happens.

I think part of it is also that- and this is going off on somewhat of a tangent- I have a (admittedly irrational) predisposition against smartphones just because of what socially acceptable cell phone ettiquette has become, and I know it was true even when people just had flip phones but I didn't notice it so much then. Nothing quite like going out to meet up with a friend you're excited to catch up with who you haven't seen in ages, only for them to plop their phone down on the table the minute you sit down together and pay more attention to people they're texting, checking facebook/instagram etc, than actually interacting with you. Dude if you'd rather talk to people who aren't me, don't waste my time by agreeing to meet up in person. :smith:

I guess part of me is afraid I'll become one of those people. I don't *think* I will, since I think I would have already been doing that with the phone I have now if I had that potential. The ability to just leave your phone in your pocket has no correlation with how powerful the phone is, but with how powerful your will is. Again, I know this is all irrational, but that's the immediate association that comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I have no idea what the name of our first "family" cell phone was, I'll have to ask; all I know is we had a house phone and a cell phone for when we all went out together. We would have got this in like 1999-2000. At some point the 5 key fell off so if you needed to dial anything with that number you had to hope one of your fingernails was long enough to reach into the contact area- my sister and I, being children, were beneficial for this activity as our fingers were small enough to just reach to the contact, fingernail or no :allears:

The phone didn't have text capability so that wans't a problem.

I used to steal the family cell phone, hide somehwere in the house, and prank call our own house, with the cell phone. A true American badass, I was

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

SubG posted:

And the Itsy/Cue from Carnegie Mellon's Wearable Group:

What an unexpectedly adorable name for a PDA

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Humphreys posted:

To the girl who was in a rush to get out of my house and embark on the walk of shame: I still miss my Nokia N97 that was in those pants of mine that you hastily put on :(

She never gave back your pants/phone?? That's the meanest thing I've ever seen in this thread

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

pookel posted:

I'm imagining sitting down in that thing and hearing "riiiiiiiiip" as it comes apart around you. Or maybe that was the point.

AFAIAA it's like a sturdier/more fabricky-clothy paper than just stuff coming out of the printer so it probably has some structural soundness but yeah, like picture it starts raining on you and the dress just disintegrates like the bad generic brand paper towel in a Bounty commercial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Magnus Praeda posted:

Are we sure the dress doesn't come with the pie? Kinda like a super-awesome cereal box prize?

Imagine the theme parties!!!!