Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I always liked this POV-ray render

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Those aren't voxels.
They're close enough that it put the idea in the mind of a generation of players/devs who will actually find out what real voxels are and use them. There's at least 1 goon project that used marching cubes to make spherical worlds and digging. Gotta go dig in the game dev megathread or the post pictures of stuff your working on thread to find them. But yes, it is a worthwhile note to point out.

e: welp I just learned how you can accidently post a new thread when trying to edit a post. First image broke tables, the reply buton was off the screen and I clicked the post button instead out of habbit.

KoRMaK has a new favorite as of 03:18 on Feb 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wow this makes so much sense. You ray trace out onto the geometry and project the color that the ray passes through to the geometry. So from a still image with some 3D camera info you can suddenly texture a 3d world!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Humphreys posted:

About $1500 total. I was in one of my 'I ain't stopping til I get things exactly how I like it' moods for a week after purchasing. I now have a few auto electricians that hire me on the side to do the same job. And I sell a few bits and bobs required for hilarious markups!

Be careful, it's a slippery slope, study it intensely then study again, then measure every conceivable bit of trim and framework required incase ONE SINGLE ITEM IS 5mm TOO LONG!

It started with sniffing data on the GMLAN to figure out how the steering wheel controls worked and if I could integrate those signals into a tablet or aftermarket HU, went down the rabbit hole and poked at a lot of poo poo. Then theory crafted how it might work. Dumped ROMs from the original HU, Facia and HVAC then compared how they talked to each other and what data was on what.

Ended with facia pairs to main unit, main unit talks to HVAC for controls and vent motor positioning, BCM talks to it all asking 'stuff' and VIN numbers.

From there, repeat the process on a friends car that had what I wanted, then figured the horrible way the manufacturer tried to hide the VIN numbers, probed the wiring loom for differences (10-12 from memory) then created an adaptor loom and plugged it in hoping. After making sure it worked - I bought the bits I needed.

It really pissed off the missus to no end though.

This story is cool and I want to know more. It has hardware, reverse engineering and modern tech in it. How do you dump the roms for car chips? How do you read them?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Awesome, awesome awesome awesome.

Humphreys posted:

PM me if you want to know more after this - I'm sure I'll get into poo poo for stupid long posts:
Haha yea right, like I have PMs'

Can you link to where you posted in AI? I looked but didn't see a new thread by you.

I find the reading of EEPROMs really interesting. If I wanted a baby's first EEPROM would ardiuno be close enough?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Humphreys posted:

You have to watch Pentagon Wars 2. Frasier screws more things up in wacky hijinx when he brings his thin brother and dad +dog into his office.

Thats the one where they give him a sub isnt it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lol if those stats are correct.