Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Does the Gameboy Advance count as obsolete now?

I bought one in 2002, and it was my first ever console (god I'm young). That thing is heavy as gently caress compared to my DS, and is pretty much built like a tank. I slipped on some water on the floor once, and launched it across the room - still worked just fine. My brother dropped it from the second floor window and the only thing that happened to it was that we lost the bit that covered the batteries. Even after all the abuse I've piled on it, it still works like a charm.

Even the thing's games were durable. My dog tried to eat my Harry Potter game when she was a puppy, and it still played just fine. Despite the huge holes in the plastic casing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

HonorableTB posted:

It's super easy to cheat on tests that allow you to use TI-83 or higher calculators. All you have to do is write your answers in the Program function because the TI lets you type full sentences provided you have enough time.

Most major high-school examinations (like the IB, or A-levels) require your calculator memory to be wiped before use. It's not so easy to cheat on the really important exams.

mystes posted:

On the other hand I sort of don't understand why teachers have chosen to use fancy graphing calculators in the first place so who knows.
I lived off those graphs back in school. The Intersect function was the best drat thing.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I imagine that some people would prefer keeping things on flashdrives, or other non-cloud storage for security's sake.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Boiled Water posted:

I understand even less now. A download should be cheaper.

Most companies don't want to piss off retailers (who won't stock their stuff as a result) by setting lower prices on downloads, hence this weirdness.

I've never heard of there being such a huge difference though.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, this works a lot. I don't work in an especially high security job, but the upper floor of my building, where most of the corporate offices are - and where I work - is secured by swipe card. I've seen so many people let total strangers in, who I've never seen before, because they simply wait by the door and give a v:shobon:v kind of look. I don't do it anymore but did a few times. I imagine it's mostly vendors taking tours or maintenance people for our lousy HVAC system, but they need to go through the front desk, drat it!

True. In my dorm, tons of random people get let in all the time, since it's normal to just sort of stand outside, looking helpless if you want to get into a dorm that your keycard (or lack thereof) can't access. It's come to the point that there are are posters everywhere telling you not to let people you don't know in, but it's polite to hold doors open and I don't know.

I do it too, I must admit.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

DStecks posted:

I'm still using my sister's old Zen Stone (Creative's answer to the iPod Nano), and it's gotta be pushing 6 years old now, and it still works great.

Yeah, I know it's from last page, but my first mp3 player was a first gen iPod Nano, and I thought it really cool that it had 2 WHOLE GB worth of space in it, which was way more than my friend's. It was durable as hell I remember, and all the weird accidents I'd had with it when I went jogging didn't much more than leave a couple of nasty scratches on the screen. I wish I could say the say about the 60GB video one though - I had to get mine replaced 4 or 5 times, since apparently running made the hard drive wonky or something.

Re: Hard drive talk, my mom bought herself a 300GB one costing about $100 to keep photos in, since our old PC had maybe 60GB worth of space in it, and it was on the verge of passing on after nine years of service.* Before I came to college, I bought a 1TB drive for about $80. The USB drive I got gifted in like 2007 cost my dad a good 50 bucks or so for about 512 MB (bear in mine that I don't live in the US, and electronics are kind of more expensive back home). I can get 16GB woorth of space now for about $10. Memory prices have fallen ridiculously fast.

*might be the only reason my younger brother might have ever seen a floppy drive, since we've only had laptops since.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

This was actually much better than the small 5th gens. Basically the 30 gig 5th gen had an issue where the battery was too close to the hard drive, so the heat from the battery would slowly corrupt the drive over the course of about two years. Its why they have such bad skipping and pausing issues as well. The 60 and 80, and later the Classic got rid of this problem but those 30 gig 5ths were some real lovely ipods.

Is that what the problem was? The apple guy I used to have replace my iPods wasn't very clear but he told me never to run with the drat thing. Oh man, I think mine died at least 5 times. Worst was when the screen cracked because it slipped between some books in my bag, and the LCD stuff started leaking out and making pretty colours. The tech looked at it, then at me, and then mournfully told me he'd get a replacement for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Konjuro posted:

As other people have already said they aren't tilt switches. But it reminds me of this:

Sony Ericsson P1

I had one of these for a while, it was the first smartphone I owned. Like all the Ericssons it had a really nice camera for a phone, but the main reason I bought it was for the tilt keys. For some reason I preferred it to the blackberry's qwerty keyboards. Looking back I have absolutely no idea why.

My dad had this. It was his first smartphone too, and then he dropped coffee on it, leaving the screen a strange shade of yellow for the rest of the time he had it. It's such a clunky little fucker, but I remember being really excited about owning an actual thing with a touchscreen!!!!! Now everything has touchscreens and the novelty is quite gone sadly.