Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dear god, I need a "SPEED ALARM" for my car right away.

Also if any of those cars still existed in obtainable and driveable form, I would buy one just because.

They don't still exist do they...? Execpt in some weird nerds impregnable underground mountain fortress? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can't tell if that's sarcasm

But those cars don't strike me as the type anyone would want to collect or restore

Edit:

Content, many pages ago the discussion of the 'turbo' button on the old 486's came up.

Funny thing is my current PC also has a turbo button, on the motherboard.

It actually does up the clock speed, and multiplier and whatever else.

Blue On Blue has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Aug 13, 2013

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jumping in on sim chat.

I know from my perspective, I love taking something I know nothing about and learning how to do it... in this case it might be flying the A-10, or a civilian jet.

Probably 50% or more of the virtual ATC nerds are usually real life ATC guys with no other hobbies, or studying to become one.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

eddiewalker posted:

Powerline ethernet is still very much a thing. Linksys still uses the Homeplug brand, even.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D4SOF3S/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_Ih.Ftb1NDTEGQ

Yep, I just installed a pair in my condo, for streaming movies to my Apple TV from the den

Works great, fast, and setup took all of 30 seconds

Miles better and easier than running Cat5 across floors and through walls, or relying on wireless signals

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I actually knew an audiophile type once.

He was mid 40's, made a very respectable income ($100-125k I'd say).

He still lived with his parents, drove their car to and from work, and ate their food

All he had to his name:

- A super old Lamborghini junker that required being pushed halfway down the street to get started, if at all. I got to drive in it once, it was as fast as a scared cat, but it was like sitting in a shaky metal coffin that smelled like high grade gasoline

- Some sort of super expensive audiophile stereo setup, he tried to explain it to me once and I just sort of glazed over after 5 minutes. I think the left and right front speakers alone cost upwards of $50,000

To further the stereotype, him and his brother loved model trains. They would do the scenery and people, painting each one individually. And then somewhere in the midst they'd have a tiny little Hitler, painted with care and precision. Seig Heil'ing for all to see. :hitler:

Oh he also had s .44 magnum he slept with under his pillow.

This all in urban Toronto mind you

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TinTower posted:

Don't we have an audiophile mock thread? I'd find it, but Search is broken and :effort:

Perhaps, I seem to remember reading about someone accidentally cutting open then thousand dollar stereo cable to discover it was metal shavings and copper

Maybe it should be merged with the schadenfreude thread

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Not sure if it's been done yet but

Trunk mounted CD changers

My first car ever had one, a '96 or '98 Ford Contour

I think I swapped CD's all of 2 times, just make sure you REALLY like whatever you put in the change :arghfist:

After that the 2nd car I owned was a Mercury Mystique, which I think had the cd changer down inside the centre console.

Might have my makes/models/years backwards, even though they were pretty well the same car

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Do these things count as 'technology'?

Gaming glasses

I see the occasional twitch personality using them, MLG types

Seems like something that once one person starts wearing them, everyone thinks you need a pair to be a contender

Same goes for player branded headsets and or mice, keyboards... whatever. You're getting a $50 device with a $100 name attached to it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

What in the world do those glasses even do beyond look stupid?

According to one of the companies

"ENGINEERED TO ELIMINATE EYE STRAIN
while increasing contrast, comfort and focus for anyone
using a computer, gaming console or simply coding the next big thing."

Oh, this part is good too

"We are wired to a media-rich, networked world of infinite possibility. Visually connected to computers, tablets, phones and games – peering into an abyss of high-energy visible [HEV] blue light for hours can disrupt your entire system; your eyes, neck and back, circadian rhythms and overall health. Computer Vision Syndrome [CVS] has become a common problem for our digital generation.
Nearly 70 percent of U.S. adults experience digital eye strain as a result of increasing use of digital devices. Cumulative exposure to HEV light can contribute to vision problems such as cataracts and age-related macular degeneration."

Basically you have eye, neck, or back problems? Buy these glasses... NERD!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Shugojin posted:

There is (according to my optometrist) some new evidence that the blue-loaded spectrum on monitors may be not great for your eyes and may accelerate normal damage. He also said that it'll take another couple decades to have enough people who have spent most of their life with the things to really tell if it's a bunch of poo poo or not.

Aye, but a $5 pair of tinted glasses from wal-mart would do the same job no?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

We need to brain storm some ideas for bilking internet nerds out of their hard earned bitcoins

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Shugojin posted:

I remember the first time I heard about GAMING NICs and my friends and I were like uhhhhh what the poo poo, you could literally buy a better video card or better CPU for the same drat money.

I was watching someone streaming Watch Dogs, yesterday (which isn't technically released yet)

And his stream title was something like: Watch Dogs! 1080p QUAD Titans, 60fps

For those not in the know, the Titan video card goes for around $1,000 a pop, and he has 4 of them in his computer.

Also 1 of them would be enough to run anything thrown at it, let alone 2 of them. 4 would be the same as taking $2,000 and just stuffing it right up your rear end

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

The End posted:

You also have one of those lovely Linksys routers. I've killed two of those bloody things. You'd think being Cisco's consumer line, they'd be awesome, but nope. gently caress those routers.

Linksys E1000

I've had mine for a few years, got it for $20 as 'recertified'

Other than having to reboot it once every few weeks when the WiFi decides to stop working, it's been great

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Woah, hold up.

What is this DD-WRT thing?

Is it just user created firmware?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Last post to end the derail for me... but what features are we talking about?

I've done some reading re: DD-WRT and now Tomato, but everyone seems to be talking about how to use it, not so much what it actually does?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

It was pretty easy to just save/load until the mugshot of Bains came up

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

That's a let down, I was hoping the account had like $30 in it since 1943, imagine the interest accrued.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DNova posted:

It would be around $90 to $500 today, most likely near the lower end of that range.

Not very exciting.

$413.69 says dollartimes.com

I still think it'd be neat :mmmhmm:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I was submitting paperwork for a warranty replacement on something, and the company actually specifically only takes faxes.

In the process of scanning the paper work, attaching it, and virtually faxing it, you'd think they would be able to just take OH I DON'T KNOW an emailed PDF??

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I used to be into car audio back in the late 90's. I still am a little bit but back then having your poo poo stolen was a big problem. It doesn't seem like anybody gives a care about stealing car stereos now. The best solution for stolen car stereos was the removable face plate which most people remember.

Kenwood came up with the motorized revolving self hiding face plate thing. Basically, you turn the car off and the front of the stereo would do a super sweet mechanical dance and flip around to show a plain black panel to tell the stereo thieves to move on. It looked like this...

It actually worked but cause nobody ever stole it. After a year or so it broke and wouldn't flip around anymore. Up to then it was pretty bad rear end because everyone who rode in my car thought my crazy spinning stereo was awesome.

Has after market car audio progressed past gaudy-as-gently caress head units yet?

I seem to remember the late 90's being all about cramming as many brightly lit buttons onto the deck as you could, and the coolest had animations that played

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Aftermarket car audio is slowly fading to nothing as even the budget segment of new cars come with decent speakers and aux-in/bluetooth/ipod integration from the factory nowadays. Nobody cares about the head unit any more, all you need is a way to connect your phone (and if you're over 60 maybe a radio).

Very true, although I met my friend the other week and he was driving a early 2000's Corolla (2002-2003 maybe)?

It had a factory tape deck, no cd player either. I was baffled, as I can't remember anyone using tapes past the late 90's. But my memory of the years might be way off

My first car was a '95 Mercury Mystique, it had a 6 disc changer in the trunk ffs

And in typing this I managed to find out the last car to come with a factory tape deck was a Lexus, in 2010 :psyduck:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/automobiles/06AUDIO.html?_r=0

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Can someone splice the fish-highspeed-vaccuum-tube into a gif with the canned chicken that comes out of that ladies back end

I need it for a friend

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Is it seriously called SCART?

Was no one in Europe aware of SHART and SCAT back then?

Also reminds me as much as I love Wikipedia for getting quick information, they really need to become obsolete. I just searched SCART and got a 3/4 page filled with 'PLEASE GIVE US MONEY'

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Did I hear mention of PCMCIA ?

This is a PCMCIA / SD card adaptor slot , in a car made in 2011

Reminds me whenever I see my friend who has a 2010 Toyota, in which a cassette deck was still an optional accessory, that car manufacturers don't always use the latest/best technology

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Now that's just the most bizarre poo poo I've seen in a while! Not only has PCMCIA not been a thing for years, why would you even want it in a car in the first place? Although now that I think about it, I used to have an external CD drive for an ancient laptop that connected via PCMCIA...

I found it bizarre as hell too, doubly so considering the audio unit has a built in hard drive which allows you to rip music directly from cd's and store it onto the hdd.

Mind you the PCMCIA option works quite well for what it is, right now I have a 16gb memory card in it with all my music.

Then we get into more bizarre technology in the car, like how it has bluetooth but no audio streaming (but my 2010 mazda did)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

I guess not technically obsolete, this is one of the first projects I worked on our of college:

BMW iDrive.

Have never used iDrive, but it looks similar to Mercedes Comand knob.

One scroll wheel that controls everything works quite well, how did BMW manage to gently caress it up?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

All this car chat reminds me when I read something about the 'cool new' technology Cadillac was going to put into their car.

A seat shaker/vibration for when the car senses something (usually from behind/side) to warn you.

I thought to myself EXCELLENT idea, a car usually driven by geriatrics will now vibrate if they're about to hit something, causing them to poo poo their pants and have a stroke.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

We did a scroll wheel for Nissan that looked like a mouse wheel. It was supposed to go on the steering wheel, but it never went anywhere.

Sounds like you need to do an A/T thread

I'd love to hear stories about large automotive manufacturers throwing probably millions of dollars at something then scrapping it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Geoj posted:

Yes, this was a thing. Old medicine cabinets had a slot that opened into the cavity between wall joists, into which you inserted your worn dual-edge razor blades.

Comes from a time when people usually bought 1 house and either lived in it until they died, or it stayed in the family

I guess no one expected someone to buy the house and remodel