Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
So 8-bit guy recently released this video for those interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixgsYAfZ8eo

It's about the Tyco Video Camera toy from the 90's, I never heard of this thing so I can't imagine it being very popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Trabant posted:

Don't let his speech patterns infiltrate yours.

Seriously, it seems like there​ are videos where he starts every other sentence that way. I still like them, but dang man.

Haha, I never noticed. This is going to bug me a bit when watching this guy in the future.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Wow, I had completely forgotten this program. :)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I really love the old soviet design. :)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

He has a point

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Wasabi the J posted:

8-Bit guy is another 1980-2000 computer enthusiast.

8-bit guy also this other channel called 8-bit keys where he talks about old 80's keyboards made for children and/or amateurs: Here

It's surprisingly interesting.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Every time I think there's no more obscure formats left to cover Techmoan posts a video of one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT3_cS1KNYc

I wonder how many obscure formats there actually is, feels like there's millions of them and techmoan have them all stored in his garage.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

ryonguy posted:

Obsolete: Watching tv or movies on a screen larger than your wrist.

You have some fat wrists

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I remember this HD-DVD addon that they sold for the xbox 360, a lot of people thought that would mean that future 360 games would be released on HD-DVD and that they would release a HD-DVD version of that console. The addon didn't work like that however and would only be able to play the movies anyway.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

When I first saw this I thought it was some sort of joke but after watching this video I kind of want one just for the novelty:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9Yjqu5pGg

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

I always wondered, it's nice to have a video explaining it...

When I first got a cd-rom drive caddy's where out of fashion, but I always thought it was a cool idea that you could have a cd-case that you could just plug into your computer.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Speaking of connecting computers.

I remember my first LAN-Party, we used the coaxial inputs because we thought it was better because you didn't need a stinking hub since you could just daisy chain the computers. I was so pissed when they removed those from network cards. I can understand the reasoning now but back then I didn't really understand it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Collateral Damage posted:

One of the first LAN parties I was at had 50 something computers all connected on a single 10base2 network, without grounding. :science:

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, any issues with lag?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Speaking of mp3 players

I had this awesome thing, I loved it so much, I would still be using it today if I didn't accidentally plug it into the wrong charger frying the battery.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Edit: Wrong thread

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Had a 32" widescreen CRT TV, it was so heavy it was hard to move by myself, once I got it in place I would never move it again until I got rid of it.

But I knew it was worse for some people, I knew one guy with a projection television, something like this

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
It's quite amazing how what's considered big/small has changed as well, when I had my 32" crt everyone kept saying how big my tv was. Fast forward to today and some people mention that my 32" lcd is small.

In the 90's one of my friends got himself a 20" crt computer monitor and it felt so huge, by todays standards that's quite small. But I didn't envy that guy during LAN parties since it must've been a pain to lug that one along.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

lord funk posted:

We used to rotate computers at our LAN cause the guy with the 20" CRT monitor had a decided advantage over the scrounged 15" ones. And if you were winning you had to switch to the clamshell Powerbook.

No such rules at our LAN-parties unfortunately

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Isn't a 32" 16:9 smaller than a 32" 4:3?

Height wise yes, but my crt was a widescreen, forgot to mention this

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

A projection-TV on stilts is pretty scary, I would be frightened to be in the same room as that thing.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Sweevo posted:

i'm the door off its hinges for no explicable reason

It's to save it if the TV falls

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

LifeSunDeath posted:

Watching this vid and one of my most hated controllers ever in my life shows up:

horribly unresponsive and difficult to actuate touchpad, it's basically the steam controller of nintendo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCYTUQCTraA

oh this vid is great, never seen this controller before:

That video made me aware of Blaster Master for the Playstation, I didn't know they made any more after the NES game, except for the new one.

Also those one handed controllers warms my heart a bit, I was thinking of people that have lost one of their hands because of an accident or something, seems like those where made for people like that.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Killingyouguy! posted:

Noone is mentioning the GameCube controller bc it is the best designed controller in history and continues to not be obsolete nor failed. Nothing but respect

The gamecube-controller would be perfect if it wasn't for that tiny D-pad

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I thought clear plastic was cool as hell back in the day, today I don't want anything in clear plastic.

Sweevo posted:

They still make it. It's all bottom of the barrel poo poo designed for prisons though.

I'm sure you're already aware but Techmoan did an episode on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3PfsndsihY

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOxLbvHFbh4
That's my alarm. It rarely has to repeat, but it's quiet enough that it doesn't wake up my wife.

A quiet alarm doesn't work for me, it has to be loud as gently caress and on the other side of the room for it to work in the long term.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Let's not forget this, if I remember right if you kept this on a loop it would gradually get out of sync.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

it only got better!

Oh yeah, loving hampster dance, this was my brother's favorite

Kamrat has a new favorite as of 17:45 on Oct 28, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Won't flash still exist, it just wont be updated right?

Will they open source it or will they just drop it completely, I'm a bit out of the loop

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Just to be clear, after the EOL date, Flash won't work at all, in browser or in a standalone player. https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

This is just silly, why let it completely die when they could just open source it and let the community take care of it.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

However, there is a project afoot to archive most known Flash games, together with a streaming Flash player that will continue to work post-12/31. Project Flashpoint!

This is great however, will certainly check it out. :)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

aardwolf posted:

Flash has been a buggy, insecure anchor dragging the world wide web down for nearly a quarter of a century. The question isn't "can we fix it?" it's "why the gently caress would any sane, rational person want to"?

The fact that Adobe is one of the groups cheerfully gearing up to drive a stake through that dark and desultory heart should tell you something.

Open source projects usually has an easier time to keep things safe than big corporations, sure there will come a bunch of clones that are less safe etc. but the biggest one will be the safe one just because it's big and that's where all the good programmers will go.

But it doesn't matter now anyway since they're not making it open source.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Last Chance posted:

Does it? Is there any VM software that has even moderately good sound/hardware accelerated video emulation for something as old as Windows 9x?

For late 90's stuff I found that vmware works fine for me, but it's not perfect at all so it's good to have a retro-pc handy for those cases when it doesn't work well.

I have this old game that I only ever got to run on windows XP sp2 for some reason and it's unpopular enough that I didn't manage to find a fix for it on the internet so I have a vmware setup just for that game. As I understand it it's the DRM that doesn't want to run on anything else and I never managed to find a crack for the game or even that specific version of the DRM.

loving hate DRM, all it ever does is gently caress over the legitimate users. :/

Edit: I even bought a second copy of the game because I thought my version was broken but no, it has the same issue.

Kamrat has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Dec 6, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Johnny Aztec posted:

You say all that and don't even mention what game it is?

Drakar och Demoner: Själarnas Brunn, it's a Swedish game

Edit: Here's some guy playing trough the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgwCt2_yIK4

Kamrat has a new favorite as of 02:41 on Dec 6, 2020

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Johnny Aztec posted:

I remember that from yeeaaaars ago. From what people commented then, those things are finicky, doesn't take much dirt/dust to clog up the channels, and they are somewhat fragile.

I am just repeating hearsay, as I do not own one, have never seen one in person, and indeed, have never been within 500 miles of an IKEA.

My friend has had one of those for years and everything you say is true.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Cool ZX-Spectrum clone, I assume they had their own homebrew market in the Soviet Union, I wonder if they made any cool games for this that was completely overlooked over here.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Here's that techmoan video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppo3IgHWDzA

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not obsolete or failed but I don't know where else this fits: apparently people are communicating with prisoners via MTV3:s text TV page 893 (the "Family Forum").

http://www.mtvtekstikanava.fi/new2008/893-01.htm

Wow, is text-tv still a thing? All I ever used it for back in the day was to check the listings, but after I got regular access to the internet I just started checking online instead.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Computer viking posted:

That's not my first computer, though. My grandfather used to teach at a community college, and saved a computer they were replacing. This lovely lump of 1979 vintage Swedish tech, which I got for Christmas in 1990, when I was in first grade:

(Again, not my picture.)

That's a Luxor ABC-80, a Z80-based 8-bit BASIC-in-ROM machine designed for the Swedish equivalent of the BBC Micro program. It came with thorough documentation, from the very basic "what is a computer anyway" up to "this is how to use assembly to poke at all the hardware", and as far as I can remember it was quite well written. As you'd expect, given how it was designed for teaching use.
I mostly used it to write simple BASIC programs and play games off tape - it has a monochrome screen at teletext resolution, extremely minimal sound (single channel, with just a list of fixed beeps and noises), and a decently fast BASIC interpreter.
I blame it for my later career choices.

I have one of these in storage, also have an 806 (one of the later models), got them off my grandpa that used to work with these computers, I also have a lot of documentation as well as abc-klubben disks for it, none of them start any more, but if I ever dig them out from my storage space I'll share some pictures in this thread.

Edit: Oh yeah, I have these up here in my apartment, one of them is an expansion box for the ABC computer line and the other one is disk-drives for the machines.

Ignore the dirt, it's from the fluffy thing you're supposed to put in front of the expansion box, it's pretty brittle nowadays.

Kamrat has a new favorite as of 13:31 on Aug 2, 2021

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Yeah Halt and catch fire was great :)

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
That makes sense, I was wondering how they got so close to the crow without scaring it away, them having a lens-adapter explains everything

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
I remember using DC++ after Napster shut down, I never really used Kazaa or Limewire apart from a couple of times because both of those programs seemed super sketchy and installed a bunch of other crap on my computer.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Light Gun Man posted:

DC++ is still good, maybe the best? way to get certain things in my opinion

Wow, do people still use it? That's amazing. I thought it would be completely dead by now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Oh yeah I almost forgot, file-sharing on IRC was a thing as well for a while, wow.