Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pneumatic tubes fascinated me as a kid :awesome:

I asked my dad how they worked and he told me there's a gnome down there who sorts them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

LGR visited a famous computer shop/warehouse that is just full of crap for this thread.

https://youtu.be/rvM82T3C2Ik
Skip to about 13 min in if you want to avoid the preamble and just get to the place old PCs go to die.

Also this video about a SEGA digital camera
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2OLhp9Whp0
That you could attach it straight to your tv and broadcast was pretty nifty for the time.

I love LGR so much. I wish he lived next door to me

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shut up Meg posted:

Before Sony got in bed with Ericsson, I think they used their own phone designers, borrowed from their quality radio division.

Their stuff felt really good to the touch and I am not sure it has been surpassed since. Look at those buttons: straight off their high-end shortwave radios.

The 'Mars Bar' phone - called cause it felt you were holding a satisfying chocolate bar in your hand and let's be honest, what's a better feeling than that?

"CELLULAR TELEPHONE" said in that 1920s radio voice

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Teletext is how i got my daily news up to the mid 2000s, it was pretty convenient and usually had good summaries

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Rexxed posted:

I probably don't need these in my drawer of useful computer cables. Balls balls balls.

isn't the PS/2 connection for mice and keyboards still perfectly fine, assuming you still have one on your motherboard? those mice might not have good dpi or anything but they might still be serviceable for a mom computer

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Buttcoin purse posted:

PS/2 is interrupt-based whereas USB is based on polling, so PS/2 could potentially have better latency.
PS/2 supports full N-key rollover, but with USB this can only be emulated, sometimes by having the keyboard appear as multiple devices, which can cause issues.
USB on the other hand supports hot-plugging, which PS/2 can't, and USB connectors are more robust than PS/2.
Professional gamers think that the PS/2 advantages aren't worth the hassle.

I think they're the facts he covered. If you want the facts plus sound effects and an absurd amount of enthusiasm, watch the video.

ive been trying to get simcity 4 to work but i cant type ingame, although parts of the keyboard do work, like the arrow keys. i think it might actually be because my keyboard is emulated as a series of devices instead of just one and some old games apparently have trouble with that, so i guess thats a reason you might want to use ps/2 still

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the wii is the only console i have absolutely no interesting in owning. id pick up a wii u if i saw it in a thrift store or something but a wii? nah itd just get in the way

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

evobatman posted:

If you're interested in retro gaming on CRT tvs, it's an absolutely amazing device and does 240p in hardware.

really? i didn't know that honestly, i have a CRT so i guess i should just pick one up. there's usually a small stack of the things at the thrift store.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

For a while the Wii was the best option to play Gamecube games on modern television sets, because they were dead cheap and the Gamecube component adapter cable was (and still is) very expensive.

e: Heck, some CRTs do component as well.

im in europe so its all scart all the time, maybe thats why the wii was never on my radar since i can just make my gamecube output to scart rgb

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

honestly, every time i try to wrap my head around the details of output signals i end up getting it wrong, but i have a big dumb widescreen CRT with RGB scart input sitting here and a bunch of old consoles hooked to it, but no wii since i already have a gamecube (so the wii wouldnt be needed to play those games) and there are only very few truly good wii games. the gamecube's component cable is very expensive i heard but it's easy to get a PAL one to output RGB over scart using a standard cable

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

is component better than regular RGB scart? ive never seen component in the EU but whenever you search about this topic it seems to be the main thing american retrogamers want from their TV (it also makes it hard to get good information about it because all of the info out there assumes you have an american TV)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i had to buy a network card again for the first time in like 20 years for my new desktop pc, which i built mostly out of older parts, the motherboard didnt have built in wifi. the card i bought has a heatsink, which i think is kind of funny, i don't think it's in any danger of overheating

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

FilthyImp posted:

My wifi 6 router has like a 4-core processor (probably for all the MIMO and triband poo poo) so you never know

yeah possibly, i guess they do have a pretty large throughput nowadays, but i cant help but think it looks like a very short man who beefed up at the gym after reading PUA advice on the internet

here's an old technology that i like: satellite TV. i guess this is still used in many places and i used it up to a few years ago when we finally got a fibreglass connection. everyone else i knew always had a coaxial cable in their house and they could never understand why i "didn't just get cable internet," like the idea that my house just physically didn't have a coaxial cable didn't really seem to be a real concept to them. the reason i liked it was that you could get all kinds of weird foreign channels on it, it had 999 channels on the decoder and id get things like iraqi state TV or the south korean national propaganda channel (arirang). id often just go to a random channel and watch a tv drama from morocco or russia or something and it was fun and felt more adventurous.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

o fukk

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

I have a fairly modern PC case, and it came with a firewire port lol

only firewire device I ever owned was a hand me down gen 1 ipod...that thing was such dogshit lol.

thats a laundry machine

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like buying lovely and weird offbrand electronics for cheap and see how they function, something about the shadiness of weird aliexpress type of stuff is fun to me, you never know what you get and it sometimes costs almost nothing

i bought a cheap mechanical keyboard in a "made in china" type of store a few months ago, here's a review of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Kma3KkZ3o

this thing was 25 euros, it honestly works great except i cant plug it into USB3.0 because that makes it spaz out for some reason, it's extremely clicky and loud and weighs a ton, it has a metal board, i love it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive only ever owned a single movie on dvd: jacob's ladder, and that's just because i couldn't find it for download anywhere in the 2000s, my dvd player was my xbox but even back then i didnt see the need for having things on fragile discs when i could just download them

thanks! yeah i read that sometimes, i havent actually ordered anything from aliexpress yet to contribute though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

apple is the only brand i go out of my way not to buy or use anything of, just because i hate the company and steve jobs and the whole thing around him

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Sweevo posted:

We have a strict "No Macs, no exceptions" policy at work, and it's great because I loving hate having to deal with Mac owners. It's like talking to people in a cult.

thats good. i like this policy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Imagine being so worked up over what kind of computer or phone someone likes

i just said i didnt like apple and didnt buy their products and you got pissed and started using dumb words like "woke"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

From what I understand, the macbook pro is a pretty substantial machine and lasts quite a while. I guess bootcamp works well if you need Windows stuff, but who knows how long that will last. Apple is switching to their own ARM architecture soon, and based on their past behavior, once they switch to a new thing, the old thing they did might as well be thrown in the garbage because they don't support it anymore. I don't know the exact details, but it seems like when they switched to 64bit, you couldn't even use 32bit applications anymore. That's why I'll just stick with windows. I just got this thinkpad for school and I really like it, I can add more RAM if I want, and I can swap out the m.2 SSD for a bigger one. And it was cheaper than a macbook and will run everything I'll need.

old thinkpads are incredible, there was a sweet spot around the early 2010s where, if you bought a lenovo laptop, you bought something for relatively little money that can still be used today for light gaming and browsing and work. i didnt have a thinkpad but i bought a G580 and although its really battered now it still works and with and SSD its still a great machine that suffers very little slowdown. im thinking of refurbishing it as a little project, like replacing the bezels and screen

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

LifeSunDeath posted:

Lol keep dreaming mac apologists. Your smugness only furthers the point that there's no sane argument for buying apples, only a cult of personality that you're all fallen victim to. Might as well become scientologists and burn the remainder of your cash on "spiritual technology" aka a loving volt meter hooked up to cans.

my pet theory for why people like apple is just that steve jobs once made "that one face" where he grabs his chin and stares at you and theres a certain kind of person who gets really impressed by that and it works like mind control

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pretty good posted:

I like my macbook and over the years I've had multiple men initiate aggressive conversations with me about how I have the wrong kind of computer. It rules and is funny

id never do that and thats dumb, but i wouldnt ever buy one

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

This is some Nintendo vs Sega schoolyard level arguing.

its really more like nintendo vs atari jaguar

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i owned an ipod mini for a while, a friend gave it to me because he hated itunes and didnt feel like returning it. i used it but i hated itunes too so i went back to my mp3 player

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

thanks, bananajunior

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

up to the late 2000s in holland if you were any kind of government employed worker like my mother you got a several thousand euro budget to buy a pc for at home, which i got to use because my mother didnt care about pc's.

it was a large budget so i could just go overboard and buy gimmicky stuff, i bought a computer somewhere around 2005 that had ram with flashing indicator leds on it, i remember my friends made fun of it when they saw it and said things like "who the hell needs lights inside their computer case haha"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

whatever happened to the "three colored lines" style of corporate electronics logo's?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my current car is from 2008 and i really hope my next one wont have a stupid touch screen instead of just knobs and buttons

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

wa27 posted:

I'm not one of those "phones should have BUTTONS" people, but I really hate cars with touchscreen infotainment systems. 1. Being able to adjust things without taking my eyes off the road is kind of important.

yeah i just want to be able to adjust the fans and stuff by touch, and physical buttons also break less easily than an electrical system. i basically want my car to be fully analog with just an input aux port for external audio, like my current car

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

am i correct in thinking that the current offering of laptops kind of suck? buying a decent laptop seems to be so much more expensive than it was 5 or 6 years ago. i have a lenovo g580 and it still functions okay and that i bought for roughly 400 euros in 2015, now im looking at 700 euros for what seems like similar performance and features

the laptops are also all really thin and light but i honestly dont really care about how light my laptop is as long as it isn't 8 kg and i can comfortably haul it around. did they sacrifice cost-performance in favor of light builds and macification?

ive looked into just refurbing my g580, if i buy a completely new shell and screen from aliexpress itll cost me roughly 160 euros, is this a sensible thing to do?

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 08:15 on Jul 31, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i just dislike apple because its design is opposite to what i like on all counts: i like straight lines, angles, physical buttons, durable plastic, repairability and customization and apple actively hates all of that. the old thinkpads are my ideal laptop designs

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

but as a brokeass, it frankly seems worth it just because you save like a thousand loving dollars buying an equivalent windows laptop compared to the mac. it's not really a brand loyalty thing for me, i'd happily buy a mac if they didn't charge insane prices or if i needed FCP or Logic for something; it's more a "holy loving poo poo that's a lot of money" thing.

yeah theyre just obscenely expensive and i dont get it any more than i get people who buy a brand new car instead of just a used one

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Last Chance posted:

Mario Golf 64 was the pinnacle of golf games

no man its GOLF for NES, the first one. thats the ultimate golf game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

again though, the best golf game is GOLF, for NES

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i still use a 32 inch wega for retro games, mine takes rgb scart and while it's not a pvm it's a very clear and bright and colorful image

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i imagine this thing just plays gruesome nature documentaries all day like in twin peaks

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Humphreys posted:

Wasn't sure which thread to put this in, but my AD29 Region bypass adaptor-cart arrived today:

Sure becoming an ugly grey tower:

It is kinda funny that the only part of my SNES that has yellowed is the offical part...

why do you need that thing? i ordered the same cart, is it not region free?

i actually have this region bypass thing, i picked it up from a flea market when i was a kid, i use it to play pal games on my sufami so they run faster

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

0 rows returned posted:

its a shame that clear plastic fell out of favor, because id have all of my electronics in clear plastic

i never cared for it because i strongly associate it with the nintendo 64

i like it now for bootleg stuff, somehow clear plastic suits everdrives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

this is the vcr equivalent of a stack of ps2 games that are just like madden and fifa and rock band