Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

vxskud posted:

A couple years back Line 6 (I think) came out with an emulated guitar, it had real strings and frets but the actual sound was created by software and it used something that looked like a cat5 ethernet cable instead of a patch cord, it only worked with like 1 or 2 proprietary amps and there was only one model of guitar.

Supposedly it could emulate the sound of almost any amp/guitar combo.

Your thinking of Line 6's Varaix guitars; which are pretty much regular guitars, but they have modelling hardware built into them. They was only one model back in the day, though in the interm there has been a new series introduced of several more interesting models. But even then, the old and new Variax's could still be used with any amp as they still had the regular 1/4" jack. The cat5 jack was used so it could interface with certain propriety hardware so that the two could communicate and control each other (though the number of such hardware hasn't really changed). But the amp/guitar combo emulation comes when you buy 'the Dream Rig™' which involves buying their most expensive amps, their most expensive foot controller, and one of their expensive modelling guitar; then you can sound like anybody you want 'authentically'.

Meanwhile other guitarists just find equipment they like, and carve out their own sounds (or pay top dollar to buy the same equipment their idols used).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
:psyduck:

I don't even get how this is a good idea, why would you want to remove your stereo so easily? Especially since it's a prime target for theft.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
To be honest, a better design would have made it like modern cars in that it's far too difficult to remove a sound system thus making theft a (mostly) non-issue; rather than making it so that an absent-minded car owner would be target number one.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

DocCynical posted:

It really is. The only good thing philips screws are good for is drywall because you want it to strip out. It is probably the worst screw design there is. At least flat blade, or standard or slot, looks somewhat nice if external and can be operated with just about anything flat. They should be obsolete but people still loving use them.

Robertson has been around for over 100 years and is better than any screw type there is, without getting into cap screws. I would love to never have to use a philips or slot screw again.

Ditto, hell, Phillips were literally designed so that they'd strip if there is too much torque. Fine if you need a one-and-done screwdriver; not so much if you need to take stuff apart and back together again.

Slot screws have the problem of being easy to slip out of the groove and only working if it's sitting at the right angle (versus the screw or driver naturally guiding you to the right angle), but it won't strip so drat easily.

Robertson is where it's at, get on our level USA. :canada:

Now if only consumer products could use them...

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I imagine that a large part of being able to rent Sega games back in the 90's was due to the fact that Nintendo was always resistant to the idea of people renting games. So to get a lead in the market Sega of America did the opposite, make it easy for stores to rent out Genesis games, which got them a ton of brownie points from retailers that Nintendo didn't. I assume that Sega of Europe followed suit so that they could gain some market-share from game rentals.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A big difference between guitar nerds and audio nerds being that different amplifiers do in fact have different sounds. Unlike, say, different cables plugged into a stereo.

It will never fail to amuse me that some hardcore audiophiles failed to tell the difference between a top of the line cable and a coat hanger.

Legit, an audiophile-grade amplifier is meant to produce sound with as little colouring and distortion as possible. A guitar amp is entirely meant to be the biggest thing that colours your sound and distorts it in as many cool ways as possible.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

KozmoNaut posted:

Bring back nixie tubes and incandescent bulbs! :corsair: x2

Ditto.

Mostly because I want the Woz's watch.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

MageMage posted:

I found this in a free box on the side of the road one day. It costs about $500 new, so I imagine not a lot of people have this. It actually worked, was missing a grip on the right foot but otherwise very solid. Could never think of an adequate use for it unless I had no arms.

I donated it to LGR, but he has yet to review it. :( Although he DID record a personalized Duke Nukem impression for donating it :)

I can think of one reason to use these guys... :awesome:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I remember loading up a copy of the Wall on DVD. The menus were literally four options arranged in a cross, and to access it you would only press the direction on your remote; no enter button or anything. :downs:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
On the other hand, you can get a higher bandwidth of customers (I can't remember if there's a better word, so 'bandwidth' it is). Four self service machines can fit in the same space two tills can. Assuming that the length of one self-service transaction isn't twice the time of a till, then you are servicing more customers in the same period of time.

Plus I like self-service better because I don't have to interact with people. :reject:

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
As a dude, I don't understand Fashion's obsession with denying girls pockets. Like there are jeans, with pockets, but once you try and put your hand inside there's no pocket. It's just some flaps sewn in a way to make it look like a pocket.

FOR NO GODDAMN REASON.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Pilsner posted:

In my country (Denmark), there's even a huge mainstream mall that has a sex toy shop of this kind. Granted, it's in a "corner" where no one randomly walks by, but still.

I'm in Canada, and in my province's largest mall. There are at least three (by my last count, one might've shut down) of these shops. Though all three of them are a part of the same province-wide chain. They're all in corners that don't recieve too much traffic.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Oct 27, 2017

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

I Brake For MILFs posted:

Apparently I can still hear the 15khz tone, but only when I move my phone or head. If I sit still I can't hear a drat thing. I know I have hearing loss (Navy/MEPs) and I absolutely have tinnitus. That's really weird.

Its probably the doppler effect. As you move the phone (especially further away from your ears) the frequency that the tone is oscillating at is being reduced. If your phone is stationary then it sends the pulses from your phone's speaker at regular intervals, as the time it takes between pulses is exactly the same. But once you move the speaker, then the time between pulses is changes; thus changing a 15khz tone into something like a (I'll be honest, I'm pulling this next number out of my rear end) 10khz which is probably easier to hear.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Sam Hall posted:

I think your url is hosed, every time i click on it youtube accuses me of being a bot.

Me too, I don't know what you did Skogul but you hosed your url.

Fixed it though,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug6Xm2qR9fg

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Pastry of the Year posted:

an obsolete graphics card isn't exactly going to set this thread on fire in terms of being interesting but I could not resist posting the world's most perfect print advertisement

"Hey Boss, what do bears have to do with VGI cards?"

"I don't know just make some puns, I wanna be out of here before rush hour."

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I'd forgotten that - but since I'm back on the stock keyboard now, that's indeed much better than nothing. Thanks. :)

If you have Google's Gboard on android it has an option where the space bar can do the same thing. Idk what phone you use, or if Gboard is the stock keyboard on any phones, but try seeing if you can access any options associated with your keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

TotalLossBrain posted:

There was some weird tape backup solution that used VHS tapes.

You mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUS0Zv2APjU