Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Trabant posted:

I feel like the case has to be metal, or at least stiff enough (polycarbonate with embedded magnets?) to have satisfying folding action.

And that thought process reminded me of something I haven't seen in the wild for ages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRDeSCQoCCM

I picked up one still in its box for $5 from a junk shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aunt Beth posted:

God, I miss NetWare

I loving don't. That and Lotus Notes at my workplace for a couple of years was a nightmare

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Grand Prize Winner posted:

is TEAC considered a good brand for hifi stuff?

Mid level at best.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

rndmnmbr posted:

I've seen a poo poo-ton of SB16 cards with IDE controllers onboard. I imagine because back in the day, they came combined with 2x CDROM drives as a drop-in upgrade for computers with only a single IDE channel. Probably in a box with the SB16, CDROM drive, a set of speakers, and cabling, from Creative, sold as a "multimedia experience upgrade" or somesuch.

Don't forget the one off CD connectors like Sony, Mitsumi and Panasonic which weren't IDE

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I didn't know the 1000 could run Kickstart 3.1

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I grabbed a 20GB and a 60GB IDE HDDs from work yesterday so I can upgrade the OS on my PowerMac G3 without nuking my 8.6 install.

Also saw a computer in the e-Waste pile that was built by my first full time workplace. I almost set it on fire.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Unperson_47 posted:

I watched that entire Techmoan Minidisc roundup and I gotta say the gumstick batteries are really appealing for some reason. I've never heard of them before that video and now I just want to hold one.

Those styles of batteries are being repurposed for small quad/drones these days

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

During the lockdowns I have slowly been building up a HIFI setup

Picked up this Pioneer PD-F605 25 disc player today. It works well other than the bottom door falls open as the return spring is missing and the VFD is very faint on it. I'll probably pull apart an old 3.5" floppy drive and steal its spring for the return. The VFD I don't know what to do there, might call a local electronics repairer and see if something can be fixed there or it just stays as it is.

The amp is a Yamaha A520, brought it from the original owner. I have my mum's old late 60s/early 70s JVC record player, but it needs some work as even though it has a new belt and stylus, it still wants to just skip all the way to the end of the record.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBTTowksN28
I only remember this video from its filename - pika.swf

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

evobatman posted:

I just sold off five full-size tape decks to make some space in the apartment, but my portables aren't going anywhere!

Oooh, nice Walkman!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

God I remember those ads as a little kid.

At that same little kid time, I found it weird that Holden called their family car after a computer

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Commodore US Marketing Department: Hey, what the gently caress are we supposed to be selling again?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm still kinda bitter 30 years later that Amiga died the way it did just because Commodore were so amazingly incompetent at running a business, pissing away any and all advantage they had with a winning product in their hands. (Yeah, Amiga would've died anyways, but still)

Most of Commodore's overseas areas like UK, Europe and Australia were strong, it almost seemed like the US arm's management was completely stupid, killing off projects at the last minute or trying to do poo poo like the C65, the answer to no one's question.

The success of the C64 was definitely their hubris

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mr.Radar posted:

This video is definitely some of the very best in obsolete and failed technology (optical media camcorders):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF91MsWs534

One of the areas at my workplace had a ton of those mini DVD video cameras, I was surprised someone went ahead with this as an idea

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Visited an aunt today who needed a hand moving some stuff out of her house for hard rubbish collection and spotted this radio in one of the boxes:

I couldn't allow this radio to be thrown away, so I took it home and put some AA batteries into it. It worked straight away:

Gave it a clean down, got rid of some of the stains on the speaker grille and it came out nicely:

Going to take the leather case to a local shoe repairer who does leather repair work to put on a new carry strap and see if some of it can be re-stitched:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Mescal posted:

Wow. Even good leather rots and crumbles EVENTUALLY, right? Thing looks 80 years old

The only info I can find about the radio was it was made around 1965.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't think I have ever seen let alone used a computer with an Itanium CPU in it.

I remember in the late 90s talking in hushed tones about how this CPU would eventually replace the x86 CPUs with friends.

I still lust for a Pentium Pro system though

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I had a group of friends who were briefly into mini disc, but mini disc never really took off in Australia. It doesn't stop me from admiring one of those portable units every so often

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

RC and Moon Pie posted:

While one side of my brain is kinda grossed out about it, the other is singing detachable penis to the chorus of Personal Jesus.

Your own
Detachable
Penis

gently caress that works well

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Humphreys posted:

There's a goon here in one of these threads who was in charge of UI around the same time, I wonder if they know each other?
I know there was a goon who was on the Windows Phone team. Poor lad.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Brought this at an op shop today cos it looks cute and seems to be complete, no leaking battery issue

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I don't mind his presentation style, then again I do like Doug Demuro's videos as well, so take it as you will

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Trabant posted:

There was an 8-bit micro called the VTech Laser 200 from 1983. Not hugely popular worldwide, but it apparently had a following in some spots.

I thought it sounded pretty standard for the era... until I found out there were freaking cyberpunk briefcase configurations out there. I mean look at this amazing thing:

To be fair, I don't know if it was sold this way or if someone did a bang-up job creating a housing for it. Either way, :stwoon:

More pics, but no more info, here.
My first computer was a Dick Smith VZ300, which was a rebadged Laser 310. I remember hating it cos I wanted a C64.

I found it again around 2016 when cleaning out dad's house, still in its original box. Gave it to a friend as I still thought it sucked.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

coldpudding posted:

I keep forgetting to scan and upload this silly thing to archive.org.

It's glorified pamphlet for dick smith's rebadged trs80 knock off the video genie.

Those Dick Smith System 80s look cool due to the size of them and the laminate wood sides

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Too bad Dick these days has become anti-immigration by using overpopulation as a smoke screen

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kamrat posted:

Any good videos on the vcd format? Youtube's search algorithm is unhelpful as usual

Techmoan has this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7PbQTlv5ig

Surprised he doesn't have a video specifically for VCD

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gromit posted:

I have tons of old stuff in my shed. Amiga 500, A2000, C64, tons of 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppies.

Noice, might be worth moving the computer stuff inside the house, being in the shed won't be doing them any good.

Make sure the RTC battery has been removed from the A2000

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gromit posted:

The computers are in plastic tubs so nothing gets into them. But the A2000 has been down there for nearly 20 years and I just don't want to check the battery. Right now it's in a quantum state of maybe being ok, but I know if I look at it, it will be a horror show.

Got some C64 games:

Nice collection, the Leather Goddess game would be worth a fair amount of money these days, especially if it has all the feelies in it

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LifeSunDeath posted:

I hope they discharged it first

Of course, she goes through a list

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Very cool :)

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Did you notice that a couple of those modems (the upright ones) looked a lot like the Banksia modems that were sold in Australia?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Laws was old in the 1980s, he must be nearly 100 years old

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Late to the show, but did someone say big box computer games and applications?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Arivia posted:

I see the Duke Nukem Forever collector’s edition, even turned facing in. You can’t hide your shame from me!

I blame Axemaniac

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Humphreys posted:

I am selling my Roland Cr-5000 and on the same day I acquired a free Roland E-36 so looking at fiddling with keyboards again...this guy does some nice videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpMMwc0Mn0Y

Now all you need is an Atari ST

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My parents had a top loading Sony Betamax during the 80s. I don't know if it was due to Australia having a small market, but Beta was still widely supported at video rental stores up to the mid 90s

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

monolithburger posted:

No, but it reminds me of the Australian video rental chain Video 2000, something I haven't thought about in an obscene amount of time.

Every so often the old Movieland jingle plays in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0grzgcd6xE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

GazChap posted:

I finally sold it in 2003, although I regret it somewhat as it would be worth a small fortune now.

By the time I sold it, the spec was:

Commodore (as in, not Escom) A1200, moved to an Eyetech tower case
Blizzard 1260 68060@50MHz
16MB RAM (or might have been 32, can't remember, I never used it all that's for sure)
80GB HD
CD-RW
Mediator PCI daughterboard, fitted with:
Voodoo 3 3000
SoundBlaster
Ethernet

I never did upgrade to PowerPC, although I did manage to acquire a Blizzard 604e(?) PPC accelerator with an '060 on board, but it was cheap because the PPC processor was hosed, and I could never raise the additional funds needed to get Blizzard to repair it.

Holy poo poo an 060 accelerator

I picked up my A1200 with all the Workbench 3.0 disks, PSU and mouse for AU$200 in 2003. Now the model number stands for how much people sell one in dollars these days