Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I have identified some very specific black holes in my mental conception of math. Things where I will mentally perform an operation or I have to convert a fraction into a decimal. I have a bunch of mental heuristics that I want to erase and have a more concrete conception.

Enter

The N-902 ES simplex trig slide rule

I'm a very "physical" person, always using my hands and seeing how things move and relate

Eg

I always have enjoyed building model planes and the like

I'm interpreter level competent in sign language

Doing perspective based art

etc etc

My hope is that by spending a few afternoons working through some high school math problems , having the my slide rule round the house for random nerd-snipe style math problems I'll have to slow down my mental processes and utilise my manual learning tendencies I will fix these problems. As well as learning an entirely useless skill in 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

ynohtna posted:

If you like the slide rule, you should look into getting some Vernier calipers to aid in the model plane building and perspective art.

My metal shop teacher taught me how to get your second decimal place from vernier calipers when I was like 14 and a few years later my physics teacher happened to be moving a decades on display slide rule to be thrown out and kinda gave me the last lesson ever taught on it before it was tossed.

Seeing the physical relationship between what was previously cold digital numbers on an LCD screen was powerful and really stuck in my craw

I should get a nice pair, my current set are 3 dollar plastic calipers that are more accurate than they have any right being , if a little flimsy

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why do people keep saying that when they merely built a computre inside the case of a pregnancy test. It's like saying someone is playing Doom with literal Altoids.

In this case it was an overly engineered pregnancy test with a digital output. While the game isn't running on the pregnancy test hardware I think it's still arguable to say he's playing doom on a pregnancy test.

To use your metaphor, it would be like if altoids time had low cost eink displays that could be hijacked

Edit: unless this is some copy pasta that got me

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

mobby_6kl posted:

They're running doom in a pregnancy test. The OLED isn't original either, so this is like putting a phone on the dashboard of an old car and saying it runs Doom now.

Ahh, me culpa

Then I am completely incorrect

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I have a need to drill some small holes to build a chicken coop

Old tools are very cheap and I don't like relying on electrons and batteries because I have strong memories about getting half way through a project and having batteries run out

I got these for 15 dollars and they should suffice for my job

and I have access to a work shop so I'm gunna make a new handle and an adaptor for a keyless chuck to mix the old and new

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Strongly remember the flash game where you have X ray specs and it's foul af

And the matrix side on brawler was pretty dope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Quite literally out dated, it only goes up to 1999