Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Kwyndig posted:

Because IoT is a horrible beast is why. Expect your washer to be on a Russian botnet by the end of the month.

Troy Hunt's washing machine probably won't be part of the botnet. It's the other billion people with "smart" appliances we need to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Pham Nuwen posted:

I just built a dim-bulb tester to help with the 6 free tube radios I picked up yesterday.

Basically you wire the outlets in series, then use an incandescent bulb of approximately the same wattage as your radio to prevent a dead short if there's something wrong in your radio. If the radio has a short, the bulb will burn at full brightness. If the radio is OK, the bulb will light dimly.

If you're the type of person who takes in old tube radios, you'd probably like this Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCy0tKL1T7wFoYcxCe0xjN6Q. He loves radios and sound production. He's done a few videos on radios and radio tuning, and one cool video taking apart and explaining a Superheterodyne receiver. I'm currently watching "What is High Fidelity? How does Stereo work?" I just finished his video on Dolby noise reduction.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Radar posted:

And if you're into restoring old radios, definitely give Mr. Carlson's Lab a look. He's a genuine electronics wizard who makes incredibly in-depth videos showing how he fixes and restores electronics of all vintages (from the early tube days up through pretty modern stuff).

Mr. Carlson is great, but you pretty much need to be an electrical engineer to understand him. He’s sort of what EEVBlog would be if Dave didn’t care if you could follow what was going on.

Fender Anarchist posted:

Technology Connections is the fixed link, and yeah he has a great style.

Huh. I clicked the link in the preview before I submitted, and it was fine. Thanks for fixing it.

Zopotantor posted:

I've been binge watching these guys' YouTube channel. They're restoring & rebuilding old horse-drawn vehicles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JVcE8gho4k

I’ve watched a few of their videos. I like the one where they are putting metal bands around enormous wagon wheels. Really dry narration, though. They are obviously builders and not presenters.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Mr.Radar posted:

While you do need a certain baseline of electronics knowledge to follow him, I actually find that he does a very good job of explaining exactly what's going on when it's not obvious from that baseline level of knowledge. I'm not an electrical engineer (though I do follow a lot of general electronics channels on Youtube and I did study the basic theories of electronics in a physics class in college years ago) and I have no trouble following him, for the most part. I figure that if you're at the point where you are building a dim-bulb tester for old radios, you're probably at that level of knowledge. And a lot of his content is about the practical knowledge you get from spending a lot of time working with vintage electronics that you won't get from studying theory.

EDIT: vvv The videos where glasslinger makes their own tubes are just amazing. They're doing a lot of good work to preserve a nearly-lost art. vvv
Maybe it’s not as bad as I remember. Either way, I’m giving him a thumbs-up, not trying to discourage anyone from watching. He does a lot of cool stuff.

Gromit posted:

I stumbled across glasslinger on Youtube and they repair old tube radios, TVs, and the like, with the added gimmick of their cat getting in the shot every now and again, and sometimes sporting the most amazing frocks. It's not technical, but just pleasing to watch and they really know their tubes.

I am not sure if I’ve seen that channel. Your description. sounds familiar. I’ll have to have a look.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
EEVBlog is very good. His lectures on theory are good. I bought one of his branded multimeters. It is also good.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
LaserDisc chat: Technology Connections is the best home technology history and exploration channel on Youtube. The host is a delightful little chub who obviously puts a shitload of work into his videos. He has an entire series of videos on home recording technologies, including Laser[everything], DVD, Video CD, VHS vs Betamax, Dolby noise cancellation, etc. He recently blew my mind with an episode about automatic toasters that Sunbeam made from the '40s through the '90s, and which I had never seen. Their design is brilliant, and it was a great video. He may have inhaled some asbestos during that episode, but it's not certain.

I'm sure he's come up in this thread, before, but I like his channel, and thought I'd drop a plug.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Trauma posted:

That Sunbeam toaster... :stare:

Right? It’s genius.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Wasabi the J posted:

I felt like the benefits of the automation are a little over stated while understating some of the drawbacks and dangers of the old model.

I was rather excited to research it more and I'm a huge fan of the thermostat design, but I'm hesitant in some of the potential work and drawbacks.

It’s not the automation. I think most of us have the energy to push down the toast lever. It’s the cleverness in how that automation was achieved. Most of the flaws seem trivial to fix.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

Any of you guys been to the Cray museum in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin? If you're in the area, I highly recommend it. I didn't take nearly enough pictures but here are a few.

https://imgur.com/a/BPWIgMr

This is 404 for me, but other people seem to be seeing it. My question is: why?

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Computer viking posted:

NPM seems to be what happens when a language that lacks a good standard library feels a need for one but don't quite know what they are missing - so they solve it by having thousands of uncoordinated users contribute whatever parts they needed that afternoon as independent packages.

NPM bloat is nuts. I installed a package at work last week, one which should have been maybe 2,000 lines of code, and it installed > 180 additional packages.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

T-man posted:

why is it rendering a condom?

New Stab-hard condoms, with elongated conical tip: a guaranteed cervix poke with every stroke!

Edti: Just the way she likes it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Vanagoon posted:

Anyone remember the smell of the Ditto ("Mimeograph") Machines?

The ones that made the purple copies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B979xBnk2Hg

Couldn't get caught sniffing the paper like a dipshit but I liked that smell much more than I should ever admit.

Spirit duplicators are awesome. The way they work is fascinating.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
The best things on Newgrounds, roughly in order, are:
1) The two guys who live in the Pong paddles getting into a fight and discovering the extents of their universe
2) Xiao Xiao 3
3) Learn to Fly
4) The animation about being drunk set to The Girl from Ipanema

Since we’re on the subject, does anyone remember a Flash video about a kid who goes walking into the woods and all the forest creatures come out and it turns into a skateboarding / music jam? There’s a turtle, if that helps, and the soundtrack is by someone or something called “Slang.” Searching for “turtle skateboard slang woods” doesn’t work very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Kamrat posted:

Won't flash still exist, it just wont be updated right?

Will they open source it or will they just drop it completely, I'm a bit out of the loop

Chrome is literally removing it from the browser. They say that at the end of 2020, flash will be gone from Chrome.

As for the technology itself, I haven’t heard anything about what is going to happen. I wouldn’t expect them to release it to the public, but it would be cool if they did.