Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
If you're working with dangerously flammable substances, your last lines of defense are buckets of sand or good running shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

twistedmentat posted:

I wondered why open colonization never felt right. I should look if I have Colonization on GOG.

Do people still get joysticks for computers? Outside of flight Sim enthusiasts. An Xbox controller is by far the better choice.

They're niche items now, even more so than they used to be. Once the Xbox and Playstation controllers just started using normal rear end USB plugs, the entire market for specific PC controllers dried up real fast. Steam conroller manages survive somehow.

For a while Microsoft did sell a special PC version of the Xbox 360 controller which was just the wired console controller but with a $10 higher MSRP. They still sell PC specific wireless ones that come with the little USB receiver nubbin.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Aug 26, 2019

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Wasabi the J posted:

A handful of times, he obliviously showcased obvious sex toys as fun novelties.

Those are my favorite.

I mean, "fun novelty" isn't an inaccurate description of a lot of sex toys...

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Plinkey posted:

I played quake 3 with a joystick/keyboard combo for a while, from what I remember the joystick was my left hand front/back straff and the arrow keys were turn left/right, shoot with space, jump with up/down or something weird like that.

It was completely incomprehensible to anyone that would sit down to play with my key mapping but worked for me somehow.

I think the most recent xbox one PC compatible controllers are just bluetooth, no more special dongle needed and also work with the consoles.

Bluetooth built in:

Non-Bluetooth:

Bluetooth, works with windows without the usb dongle:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LPNKGGI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I knew built-in Bluetooth has been pretty standard in Laptops for years, but I had no idea it had started being common in desktops or otherwise generally common enough for manufacturers to discard the dongle. Awesome.

Plinkey posted:

This was also how it worked the whole way back to the Duke, it was just USB with a different plug, but the drivers were community made from what I remember until MS relented and released their own XP drivers. So if you got just the breakaway end for cheap you could use the controller on either an xbox or PC with no modification to the actual controller.

Yeah, all three consoles from that generation technically used USB and while they were easy to plug into your PC with a special adapter, you usually had to spend quite a bit of time configuring Joy2Key simply to get them to function worse than they did on console. And then tweak it for every game you wanted to use it for.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

yeah, USPS still does that, looks like it's $10.35 for the medium box

God drat, my back hurts just remembering these exist. I won't tell you not to take advantage of a good deal, but use a bit of bubble wrap because nobody's happy to see a flat rate box marked "warning: heavy"

Re: TV License, has SA skewed my perception or is it actually a tax that technically exists and literally nobody pays?

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Aug 28, 2019

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

Most of the time though there's a company that makes prop products, such as the Morley cigarettes that you see in just about every TV program with a smoker.

That's Early Hays Press, which makes a ton of fake brands. Creating/providing props for TV and film is a huge industry, or at least larger than most people probably think.

Fun Fact: Independent Studio Services (the fine makers of Let's Potato Chips) also claims to be the largest private armory in North America.

buddhist nudist has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

Der Kyhe posted:

Not to be That That Person, but having stun gun concealed inside a functional mobile phone is one of the more common things confiscated from the Russian tourists on our border. So its only a matter of legislation or more likely lack of it.

Is it inside a functional phone itself or just a stun gun built into a phone case? Because you can just buy the latter on Amazon literally right this second.