Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

squeegee
Jul 22, 2001

Bright as the sun.

RoboSpy posted:

Unfortunately (fortunately?) I never experienced Microsoft BOB, but I was wondering if anyone here did? All I know about it I learned from Wikipedia, though I do have vague memories of ads for it when I was a kid, and may have seen a demo computer with it at a CompUSA or something. Does anybody have stories about BOB, or a computer squirreled away somewhere with BOB still installed?

I used to play around with this all the time as a kid. I don't think I realized it wasn't really meant to be a game -- I just liked decorating the rooms and picking the little character that would talk to you.

Invisble Manuel posted:

I always wanted one of these:

It was a black and white video camera that recorded video to standard audio cassettes, from Fisher Price.

I don't think it recorded audio.

Sample video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtj8ILSfKUM

They did record audio, and you could also hook them up to your TV, meaning you could use it as a monitor and also record it to VHS. I bought one of these in the early 2000s and got it modded to have RCA output, so I can (awkwardly) hook it up to a miniDV camera and make weird movies with it. The video is really interesting and eerie, but you need a ton of light to make it look like anything but a grey smear.

I also had this loving thing in like 2002 and thought I was pretty bomb:

It had good battery power and held a lot of songs for that era, but drat if it doesn't look ridiculous now.

Also, on the subject of laserdiscs, the college I went to had apparently invested heavily in them when they were new, and every single film we watched (as a Film Studies major, this was a lot) was played on laserdisc, which none of the aging professors understood how to use. This was in 2003-2005 and it was kind of surreal having to flip the disc over halfway through the movie and sometimes even switch to a second disc, considering that DVDs had been out for a while.

squeegee has a new favorite as of 03:03 on Jul 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU