Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Comrade Koba posted:

Content:

I've still got one of these babies up on a shelf, in working condition. :)

The Intellivision

When I was a kid my cousin had a job at Toys R Us and for some reason these things were still on sale well into the NES era, well my cousin decided he liked his intellevision too much and swapped out the internals from his old model for the current version being sold. I think he still has it some 25 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Dogan posted:

Okay, I know this is a few pages back, but how the heck does this Dolby Audio track work? Does the projector literally scan the space between each sprocket hole like a QR code to glean the digital audio data off of the film?

It's been years since I took the class we covered this in and I'm sure I'm missing some key elements, but the data in-between the sprockets keeps the film synced with the soundtrack which is housed in a HDD in the projection room. This way when a theater has to cut and splice a film that's from a beat up print the audio doesn't come unsynced.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

strangemusic posted:

Sure you're not thinking of something else? The Karma was 20gb with USB 2.0

He's got to be talking about the PMP300, the first Diamond Rio that came out in 98.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I only remember the keychain sized ones they sold at Spencer Gifts. I can still picture where they were in the store at a mall that's long since been demolished.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Humphreys posted:

I think of it as the schoolyard arms race. Before that the biggest one I remember was with marbles. One cheeky bugger brought snooker balls and huge ball bearings. He called them 'super jupiters' and 'stellar steelies' respectively.

The MP3 arms race started with a kid who brought in his tape walkman that was soo drat slim we couldn't believe a standard cassette tape would fit in it. I cannot find pictures, but wow it was amazing. So imagine my smugness bringing an actual real life mp3 player to school. This was the time where in Australia they weren't really known to the point where my science teacher asked for me to do my speech assignment on how they work.

http://www.walkmancentral.com/products/wm-ex618

Is this the Walkman?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Club Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ouI5KcyHfE

Since it seems like fondness for obsolete tech has been a running theme in this thread, I figured I'd post the video for "100 Days, 100 Nights" by Sharon Jones. The video's from 2007, but it was all shot on old TV cameras and has that great old strobey look from shows like "Top of the Pops."

The label she's on is devoted to using old obsolete tech.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Back in the early 90s my brother had a show on KLSU, they used cd caddies with the cd player because it was less prone to failure than the motor drive cd trays. By the time I was in college and got on WTUL it seemed like most of that stuff had disappeared, although we constantly had problems with at least one of the cd players at my station with read errors/door not opening.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Snowdens Secret posted:

That's another thing that's obsolete / failed - the computer assembly industry before Best Buy, before Gateway 2000 and Dell, certainly before Newegg and Amazon, where you were either mail-ordering parts out the back of PC Magazine and Byte with best guesses as to compatibility, or dealing with one of the two or three beige-box assemblers within driving distance. Or spending bucketfuls of money at the Apple store for whatever configuration they felt like selling you; the more things change, the more they stay the same.

The LOCAL not actually affiliated with the company Apple Store that is. I remember after Apple started opening locations all over the place the last Mac specific computer store in town had to start doing Penske truck rentals to keep afloat, I went in to get AppleCare service on my PowerBook and laughed when I saw a full priced copy of OS X Server 1.0 on the software shelves. I think this was in 2004 so that software was already a few years outdated, and couldn't run on any of the modern hardware.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Mouthguard Chump posted:

The only wireless company that had an alien for a logo that I remember was Cingular. It was a little orange guy.

Primetheus, the PrimeCo Alien would like to chat with you.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I think with most modern cars you have to specify you want a smoker's package in order to get the actual lighter and not just a cap that goes over the port.

I'd love for USB chargers to become a thing spread out around the car to charge everybody's poo poo.

The release for the trunk is a fairly modern thing, I know on my first car I had a separate key for the doors/ignition and one for the trunk and it didn't have an indoor release (85 Aries).

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
If I remember right this was before detachable faces were affordable. I had an older cousin that had a radio like that in her car. By the time I was driving detachable faces were all the rage. Now I can't remember the last time I even bothered to take it off, and it seems like aftermarket stereos in general have kind of gone by the wayside, I dropped a few grand over the course of a few years on my car back in the late 90s, but now most cars come with decent head units and really only need some amps and speakers if you want to get a better sound.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

sirbeefalot posted:

Seeing that thread never fails to make me chuckle.

I'm so glad they pushed out a Windows compatible version pretty quickly. That was right around the time I switched over to Macs though so I never had to put up with that crap program they had for Windows before iTunes came out.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

JPrime posted:

I too remember my 6 digit ICQ # as well as my 5 digit TSN/INN mailbox number. That's from...1993/1994 I believe.

I was going through old papers and came across a letter from Sierra inviting me to join, I can remember me pleading with my parents to let me sign up, but I never got to. How was it?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I have firstname.lastname@gmail too, but I think I'm the only person in the United States with my name, there's barely a handful of people with my last name and my first name is even less common, so I never get weird emails for someone else. There's a bunch of people that either give the wrong number or are close to mine for Google Voice though, I've gotten all kinds of messages, some of them urgent sounding.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

leidend posted:

Does gmail have any other options like .ca etc? Everyone with an android phone around the world has to have a gmail address I believe, not to mention every other Google service usually at least works better with one.

My name is unheard of in North America but there are hundreds with it in Germany and Denmark. had to use (first name)(middle name)(half of last name)@gmail.com.

I know when the service first started it was googlemail.com in the UK for some reason, but I'm not sure if there's other options out there.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Wasn't there some insane puzzle that needed you to consult the manual in Space Quest 6, but the manual was only included in the original release? Something about reconfiguring a Tricorder like device with IRQ and Dipswitches.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

twistedmentat posted:

To be fair, I had them all in a box in my closet and she thought they were junk.

I always wondering how CDkeys worked. I figured they each had an algorithm that was unique to that software, and all you needed to do was enter something that had the same algorithm to unlock it.

See qcrack,exe. When Quake 1 came out id included every game they'd worked on up to that point, with some phone in activation where you paid and they'd give you the key. Within hours of the discs showing up at retail locations someone came up with a crack that not only unlocked quake, but the back catalog of id.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

It never failed that the only guy around with that disk (not just qcrack.exe, but any sort of dubious software back then) was the most obnoxious piece of poo poo that nobody could stand, who would watch you like a hawk while you were using it to make sure you didn't try to copy it. You know, so if anyone wanted to use the software, they had to invite him over.

Man that's why I used Usenet.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Oh man, you're right. I think I just told people in class what newsgroup to browse to find it. It wasn't until college that I became the annoying guy that came around, and that was more to share the weekly Essential Mix.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Now I want to dig through old discussions about TNG. Or see if anyone made any posts about summer blockbuster movies back in the mid 80s.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

DicktheCat posted:

For serious, though, why not?

Because even though it's obvious that the station has no use for them, they're probably still on the books somewhere and nobody wants to be shitcanned for taking a few CRT monitors no matter how useless they are to the owner now.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

MA-Horus posted:

After a few months at least most retailers will have copies of "Assassin's Creed 45 LASER BLADES ULTIMATE BIG-DICK EDITION" on pretty steep discount because only the nerdiest nerds prepay for statues and poo poo.

It seems like most shops don't even really carry the big collectors editions now. It's been a good while since my local shops had the collectors edition on sale. I hear that Fry's are some of the best places to get deals on them, but sadly the closest one is a really long drive away from me.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Wasn't there a decent home conversion and a dual stick controller on the Dreamcast?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Antifreeze Head posted:

Has anyone come up with a way to simulate that look of things recorded on that camera that used audio cassettes?

Here's an example, with all kinds of other stuff going on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGFsVwLOvoA

At least I think that one is genuine. It might have slenderman in there somewhere. Try not to stab anyone if you watch it.

http://fox-gieg.com/tutorials/2008/fake-pxl2000-effect/

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
The last time I used one of those imprint captures was when our POS went down during a storm, back when I worked at a Circuit City. Not only did we have to do manual imprints but we had to bust out some ancient cards to hand write receipts.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

blugu64 posted:

So people without small bills...how do you pay for things like Parking meters, or one of those parking attendants at a sporting event?

Meters in my town have taken CC for the past few years and parking attendants at sporting events almost always cost more than a few bucks so I plan and make a withdrawal on my way out to an event.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
It even comes with one of those terrible cd-roms that will wreck your poo poo if it's slot loading.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Humphreys posted:

Everyone at my school wanted the Nokia 8110 just because Matrix:

And we wondered what awesome phone would be in the sequals!

This loving thing:

Isn't that thing worth a good bit to collectors since they had a really short run?

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

moller posted:

I had a very similar toshiba and it was my second favorite laptop ever in terms of form factor/construction.

Fav. being my 12" Powerbook G4.

When will another laptop meet my gray, square needs?

I loved mine, had it for ages, it survived European traveling and being tossed around in my bag. What it did not survive was the tropical climate of Honduras when I gave it to my dad.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

T-man posted:

How often do people try to touch the screen to select their option?

I remember as a kid the main branch of the public library had that kind of terminal set up with access to Usenet and Gopher. It also featured a light pen for users to help speed up the selection process.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

I threw out boxes of Betamax dubbed movies a few years back. Hadn't had a player in ages and was not really interested in finding one to keep stuff recorded from HBO and what not alive for anymore years.

Wish I'd have had a VCR to pull old World Cup matches off though.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I kind of wish the eVilla and the other BeIA appliances would have taken off.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Sonicstage, my parents bought me that type of minidisc recorder for Christmas the year I did a complete switch to macs. Never got it to work properly.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I drove one of those for my drivers license test in 97. We owned it from 86-99 and then it lived on for a few more years as a cousins work van for his construction crew. When I got to drive it to school my classmates called it a Ninja Turtle van. Great memories of that beastly van.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Delivery McGee posted:

Stopped by a Goodwill today, saw a VCR head cleaner cartridge. That in itself is pretty obsolete.

But the real mindfuck, and the reason I'm posting about here instead of the tech relics thread?

It was for Beta.

(Sadly I didn't think to take a photo.)

Sony manufactured Beta tapes until 2015, Betamax mind you not the professional grade BetaCAM. I think they stopped putting out the VCRs in 2002.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
I think I was reading this thread when I got the wild thought, what if DATs had become A THING for home consumers, would we have seen in dash decks? Then looked around and found that Alpine actually made one years and years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjEnKPF-p0

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
2 Many Djs did that with their mix cd As heard on Radio Soukwax vol 2, if you hit back scan on track one eventually you’d get to this weird bootleg remix of Kylie Minogue they did. That was a fun disc to buy, I got a physical copy of it ten years after release and when it came in I thought someone had sent me a burned disc.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories
Mine is not on the list. My first was a dual band Qualcomm when they finally started selling it with their own branding and not just as a Sony branded phone through Sprint. Second check from when I worked at Circuit City in the 90s.

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Powered Descent posted:

I didn't know it was possible to feel the waves of 1997 coming from a simple image, but here we are.

They didn’t make these until after the apple stuff came out so 99 at the earliest. I remember these as being terrible compared to the 2.4Ghz Panasonic phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mints
Aug 15, 2001

Living on past glories

Powered Descent posted:

The translucent plastic craze got a boost from the imac, but it was already well underway by '97. Picking a few 1997-tagged examples from this link:

(It was a relief to find these, for a moment there I was worried my nostalgia processor had gotten a few years out of alignment.)

It appears that mine has! I just remember VTech as being late to the game, and our dumb product launch guides from the time touting the colors as a hot selling point.