Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well yes unless you're really really tiny I think you'll find you can't really sleep in contact lenses regardless of eye health.

Non-continuous wear contact lenses are obsolete and failed technology. I wear my lenses 24/7 for 30 days straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

That's the only funny joke I can remember from family guy. "Do you have express written consent from the NFL and ABC to record that?" "Only ABC" *repeatedly shoots VCR*
I think it was Peter had “implied oral consent”

edit: I'm wrong. The Simpsons had the "implied oral consent" joke.

mlnhd has a new favorite as of 03:08 on Sep 18, 2020

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I think it's this, for telecommunications: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_jack#RJ21

I counted 48 pins on your blurry image but it may very well have 50

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

a black executive in 70s? 80s?

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It used a single AA battery which were cheap or you could get rechargeable ones.
I had to downsample all my mp3s to 96 kbps to get a full album to fit.
The clip on the battery door of mine broke, so I had to keep it closed with a rubberband.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Michaeldim posted:

I got the thermal printer cleaned up some. I love thermal paper.

What's in the box labelled "piss machine"??

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Antifreeze Head posted:

Seeing the Cloud Yellers tag reminds me of something that is roughly appropriate for the thread.

Back in the last 80s and early 90s, there was a Magazine on Diskette called Big Blue Disk and it contains one of my favourite old-man rants.

From BBD issue 16 in the "Bluenotes" section (their letters to the editor section).

I don't know who Bob Talley is, or even if he is still alive. But if he is, I hope he still out there ranting against GUIs, touch screens and haptic feedback.

Cool. I didn't know this magazine existed. Bob's rant is much longer than what's quoted here. You can run the disk at https://archive.org/details/bbd16 and see it for yourself.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

sarcastx posted:

Man I've been dying to find a copy of "This Map Is GoodFun!" but it seems lost to time - there's not even a valid copy of the page itself (let alone the map) on archive.org... makes me wonder if anyone's still got a copy left on a CD or something.

I searched for cranky "goodfun.zip"

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/planetquake/cranky/GoodFun.zip

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Neito posted:

For convoluted reasons, I'm in posession of my first real cable TV subscription in decades, and I'm thinking back to the old cable box we used to have with the seven-segment LEDs. The thing always turned on with a definitive "ca-thunk" sound that I now assume to be like maybe some sort of relay or something being engaged?

Anyway, my modern story is less interesting because apparently I'm one of the five people left on earth with a use case for CableCards.

Our cable box had an outlet on the back that was switched with a relay. This was so you could leave the tv power switch in the ON position and control its power via the cable box remote.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Porfiriato posted:

Unless you click through to the tweet or embiggen the photo it's easy to miss the buried lede that in the process they got Doom running on a John Deere.

(:thejoke:)

I personally worked on the software for that John Deere product (Gen 4 display). It runs Wind River Linux, and we actually already had Doom running on it as a Hackathon project.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

It was Linux, not VxWorks. Not real-time. It uses OpenGL to display draw the 3D images of the field on the screen. We had privileged access to the platform during development, of course.

I haven't watched the talk yet, but I will soon. It will be interesting to see someone break into it from the outside.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

I have to connect to a serial port on my new car’s infotainment wiring harness to jailbreak it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Humphreys posted:

I would love to jailbreak my current setup to get rid of the driver warning poo poo that sits there for 10 seconds at boot. I don't have time for that poo poo.

Yeah that's what it does. It also allows the touchscreen while car is in motion and fixes some UX issues.

And yes there is a Video Player mod.