Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

Jedit posted:

There was a similar format called the CED that didn't suffer quite so much from these problems. The disc case was actually a giant sleeve, and you'd push it into the player to lock the disc in place. The disc therefore was never exposed to the outside world, reducing damage. On the down side, the CED was read with a stylus like a vinyl record, so the discs are still prone to wearing out.

Yeah, Capacitance Electronic Disk system, I had one and around 100 movies for it. I kept that drat thing working for years and years. I had to take it apart every 3 or 4 movies to adjust the bits that removed the disk from the carrier since they bent incredibly easily. Other than them being VERY temperamental they were INCREDIBLY HEAVY. One copier paper sized box of them would rip the bottom out of the box if it wasn't reinforced with duct tape. They produced a VERY nice quality picture and the sound was great as well. Also if the disk got scratched or the player got bumped it would skip in audio AND video which was a fairly cool effect!

The best disk that I had though was "Urgh! a music war" which didn't even make it to youtube until like 5 years ago. ALL of the VHS copies were pirated from the CED due to problems with licensing and copyright since the movie was exclusively released to CED (which then failed). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urgh!_A_Music_War . Also neither the LPs nor the DVD release in 2006 include Invisible Sex – "Valium" so the ONLY place you can find that one is pirated from CED. THAT disk I cleaned up and still have along with

The end of my CED player came when we had a fire in our apartment that resulted in the fire department pulling all of the plaster off the walls and foaming the whole place. The dust from the plaster mixed with the foam and got into EVERYTHING including the disk cases. They COULD have been cleaned but each one would have taken an hour and the little strips of stuff that brushed the disk clean as it was removed and returned in the machine would have had to be replaced for every disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
These are obsolete but I don't know that they actually failed per se;

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Jedit posted:

Warner Archive burn it to order with Valium on the disc. The only missing track is the cover of Two Little Boys by Splodgenessabounds.

I also now find myself really wanting this disc, but Warner only make it to order and only ship to the US. Obsolete and failed? Try their business model.

I think that all of the footage is on youtube at this point.

To contribute;

BFG Tech BFGRPHYSX128P PhysX Processing Unit 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Physics Card

Damned if that card didn't become obsolete fast!

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Willfor posted:

You can still use chainmail as a wearable faraday cage, to swim with sharks, and on your hand if you are a butcher

Look a little closer dog; http://www.retrocrush.com/archive/poptoppin/

Red_October_7000 if I locate the copy of Sorcerer I accidentally purchased on eBay I'll mail it to you; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076740/