Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I'm at a brand new hospital and we use pneumatic tubes, for lab samples and pharmacy deliveries. Probably some other stuff too, since it's easier then walking up two floors to drop something off. You input the ID for the station you want on a keypad and hit the send button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

So they're less useful binder clips? I had never even heard of those before.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Late to the discussion but yes, the Milwaukee zoo has quite a few mold-o-rama machines. My kids get one pretty much every time we go. I think they might even change the molds now and then to new animals.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

A co-worker and I were talking about old Apple computers today, and I was reminded of ads I used to see in computer magazines for Apple //e hard drives. Specifically, one that replaced the power supply with a PSU/hard drive. I think they had 10 or 20 MB capacity. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

Quick search pointed me to the Vulcan Gold or Pegasus 100i, looks like what you're talking about (based on the description anyhow):

http://apple2history.org/history/ah09/
https://archive.org/details/1992-04-appliedengineering-vulcangold

Yes, I think that Vulcan on e is the one I'm thinking of. I could have sworn it was out for the //e as well, but I'm probably mis-remembering.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

You fuckers are going to have me trawling thrift stores for old audio gear now.

Thanks. :)

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I worked at a brand new hospital built by a regional chain a couple of years ago as the local IT guy. When we opened, the ER was getting medical data from ambulances via wireless fax. If it didn't work perfectly, I would get complaints. I kept trying to explain its a terrible technology for that, what with having no error checking and being vulnerable to signal loss or line noise. Didn't matter. I spent way more time then I should have tweaking fax machine settings to try and get everything perfect.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

SubG posted:

Yeah, the Sears Super Video Arcade was an off-brand Intellivision and the Sears/Telegames Video Arcade was a rebranded Atari. There was also a Sears Video Arcade II, which was more or less an Atari 2600 Jr. with a much worse controller and a less fantastically '80s case.

Sure. But you don't need to be a UX genius to know that selling shoes by bundling two lefts or two rights but never one of each is a bad approach. At some point you'd look down and just notice your own feet and put two and two together. A lot of these early controllers look like they were designed by people who had never actually seen a human hand, but only heard of them in old stories, like unicorns or dragons or some poo poo.

To jump back to the Intellivision for a minute, I wanted to point out that the chunky block of plastic plugged in to the side of the console is a voice synthesizer. It was compatible with a handful of games (as you can see in the ad), and had the most amazing 80's computer voice.

Mattel also had plans for a keyboard, which would turn the console in to a full computer.
http://www.intellivisionlives.com/bluesky/hardware/keyboard_tech.html

There was even a music synthesizer!
http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/museum/mattel/keyboard/index.php

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

GreenNight posted:

DVI/Displayport only.

All the LCD monitors we get are like this, along with VGA.

Greetings fellow HP monitor user.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I recovered a Technics SL-D3 turntable from my in-laws house when we helped clean it out. It's pretty grimy, but it spins under it's own power, so it should be usable. I'm planning on replacing the cartridge since it's old, and the needle looks bent up. In researching what I need, I found out there's all kinds of tools and devices for calibration and alignment, I'm a sucker for specialized tools. This is the gateway to $1000 power knobs and gold plated isolation pyramids isn't it?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's not a good reason to replace the cartridge. Just get a new stylus.

I didn't actually realize I could do that until I looked it up. If I can figure out what I need that will be way cheaper. It's an older Shure cartridge, and I don't see any kind of model number.

Funzo has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

It’s not really obsolete, but I wanted to show off the stereo setup I put together. The cd/tape deck was getting thrown out at work after a remodel, and the receiver and turntable were recovered from my in-laws when we went to go clean out their house. I just need to find some speakers. The receiver supports quadrophonic sound but I doubt I’ll bother with it.

/edit: Yes, it all desperately needs to get cleaned.