Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waterslide Industry Lobbyist
Jun 18, 2003

ANYONE WANT SOME BARBECUE?

Lipstick Apathy
I missed instrument chat but I've got to throw this guy in here.

The Eigenharp Alpha

Each of the keys is sensitive to direct pressure, but also to lateral pressure in both directions, so you can program in pitch bending on individual keys. The sides have touch sensitive strips, so you can simulate bowing. And there is the wind controller. The entire thing is programmable so you can do things like use a set of keys as a sequencer then play simulated sax on top of that. The craftsmanship on them is excellent, although I haven't had one plugged in to be able to noodle around on. Cost $5900, but I'm not sure if you can find them anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

My car has a CD changer. It was obsolete when it was new.

On Saturday I test drove a 2014 Jetta with a 6-disc changer in the head unit. WTF VW.

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

But do you have the widescreen tapes? :smug:

(Probably more "definitive" than the Laserdiscs, actually; they aren't smothered in DNR and have better colors.)

On a related note, lovely letterboxed home media is something that I sure as hell don't miss. What absolute garbage that was.

I worked at Blockbuster (that's going to be fun to explain to the grandkids) for several years during the VHS phase-out. I left the company in '05 and we'd still have people return movies because of the black bars.

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Is Ford Sync failed technology yet? It works fairly well with my Nexus 5 but shits itself when my fiancee tries to connect her iPhone 5. The worst part of it is that the loving gigantic console on my Fiesta doesn't look like it will lend itself well to just replacing it with a better SatNav/touchscreen option.

This poo poo is ridiculous

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hirvox posted:

They're alive and well on the mobile side.

Oh this flashlight widget wants acess to phone, location, browser history, cell data, and google wallet? SOUNDS GREAT!

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Gann Jerrod posted:

It's not so much a failed technology as it is a complete scam, but I remember seeing a lot of commercials for reception booster stickers back when cell phones were becoming commonplace.

Just put it on your phone and get a boosted signal! Who'd have thought that a $20 sticker doesn't actually do anything.

I worked at a mall phone kiosk in high school and these things cost us like $0.30 each. My boss said if I could sell them on a cash transaction I could pocket half. I used one and it worked great, you have to stick it on the battery though, not just the outside of the phone, if you want to test it out I'll pull it off my old Razr and send it to you for $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jun 18, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Are the laserdisc versions of the star wars movies still the best ones? By the best I mean the highest quality versions that don't have that goofy extra poo poo Lucas edited into them.

This DVD set has the originals on second discs as special features. I wish I had kept my copy in better shape after seeing that price.