Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
I actually owned the first hard disk based music player ever. Well not like the first one manufactured, but you know what I mean.

The Personal Jukebox! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Jukebox

It was pretty amazing for 1999. It had a 5GB hard drive. Again, this is 1999 when flash drives were 32 MB. It connected through USB, and had a USB Female port on it for connection, so you got blazing fast USB 1.0 speeds. You had to use an amazingly lovely explorer-like music manager to make playlists and add music.

The battery door was hinged and super weak, and it was the first thing that broke on it. I ended up taping it closed with a piece of duct tape. Then, the audio jack wasn't soldered on there so well, so you had to press the plugged-in jack one direction in order to get audio at all, and really hard to get stereo. Eventually fixed that by pushing it really hard in one direction and then putting in a paper clip and snipping it off to keep the jack pushed in one way.

It had a lithium ion battery that charged in-unit, and took about 4-5 hours to charge for a 4-5 hour listening time. It even had games on it.

Suck that iPods! It was one of those amazing products that received zero marketing dollars and never sold in any noticeable numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU