Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Looks like I hit a nerve. I'm old enough to remember seeing Betamaxes being sold for $2200. My first VCR was about $300. Top load. Wired remote. Watching movies on a 19" TV.

How old are YOU? Mentally, I mean.

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

carry on then posted:

I'm struggling to think of things more asinine than an argument about video tapes.

The same argument, only now it's devolved into an "I was watching VHS back when it was cool" dickwaving contest

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Wait a few minutes, I'm sure something will come along.

I too am eagerly awaiting your next overreaction and subsequent multiple posts trying to shrug off how you overreacted

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Have a nice day.

:tipshat:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Platystemon posted:

This thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw1NctezBPc

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Man there's a lot of salt in this thread, can't we all just get along and talk about the Turbo button on our 386 towers and poo poo :confused:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Slanderer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXHQvJkfy8o

I'm the commenters in this video jacking off to the SUPER SEXY CRISP scanlines on this professional broadcast monitor and dont you loving dare tell me that this isn't how the game was meant to look!!!!

nice ongoing meltdown

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I plug my unmodded NES into a 50" flatscreen and it looks about what I expect an NES game to look like :shrug:

I've probably smoked too much weed to accurately remember anything past 15 minutes ago anyway :420:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

WebDog posted:

HD being the norm did throw up some interesting issues as set design and makeup had to up it's game with actors freaking out that they would suddenly look old. I think desperate housewives was one such show that had issues. I recall Battlestar Galactica being pointed out with Edward James Olmos's acne scars being described as the surface of the moon.

My first exposure to Edward James Olmos was a VHS copy of Selena and even then his face looked like the surface of the moon

Now a close-up of Laurence Fishburne's face on an IMAX screening of The Matrix Reloaded, that was a sight to behold.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cities: Skylines is relaxing as hell, I'm a huge fan of it, and I'm in the camp that says SC2K was the last good one. It feels very natural, I love the road-drawing possibilities, and it really plays the most like SC2K updated for today.

Traffic is really the endgame in it though, and it's something I'm still struggling with. I mean look at some of the poo poo people do:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Computer viking posted:

Well yeah. I haven't really needed anything at that scale, though I have handbuilt a couple of smaller interchanges from the "plate of noodles"design school. Kind of reminds me of OpenTTD. :)

(Speaking of, the one-way train track mod is very useful.)

Yeah as yet I've never needed to do more than make a 2nd connection to the highway you start connected with, but drat is it in-depth, and I'm not always sure what the best thing to do is. Like the single-lane offramps you can build are great, but then they get clogged, and if you upgrade them to regular roads it's a nightmare. There's no 4-lane 1-way, so you have to go to a 6-lane 1-way, and that automatically builds a traffic light at the offramp intersection and :psyduck: The whole "trucks going to industrial zones will totally gently caress up your traffic patterns if they pass through residential at all" thing is tough to get the hang of as far as planning goes, too.

Honestly I think the interchange/highway system is the toughest thing for me to understand, at least in the city itself I usually manage to get the traffic under control (and I'm at least learning from my mistakes, although roundabouts are still a bit tricky to me).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FedEx Mercury posted:

Wow, incredible, that looks way more fun than playing with Solid Snake or Bayonetta, for sure.

Ok? :confused:

Boiled Water posted:

That looks awful from a "city I'd want to live in perspective".

Hey John where do you live? Oh next to the highway. No like in between them.

I thought that too until I started looking at aerial shots of some of the interchange systems around here (https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9227713,-74.0778554,718m/data=!3m1!1e3):

:psyboom:

e: The NJ side of the George Washington Bridge (also right by me) makes me dizzy (https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8561787,-73.9660658,1196m/data=!3m1!1e3)

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 17:01 on Oct 24, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Some of them come pretty close to nightmares of geometry, but your digital denizens don't seem to mind elevated banked 90-degree turns, so if it works, it works, I guess.

Weirdly enough, apparently they kind of do!

quote:

One goal of the game was to successfully simulate a city with up to 1 million residents. To help achieve this goal, the creators decided to simulate citizens navigating the city's roads and transit systems, to make the effects of road design and transit congestion a factor in city design. They developed a complex system that would determine the fastest route available for a simulated person going to and from work or other points of interest, taking into account available roads and public transit systems nearby. This simulated person would not swerve from their predetermined path unless the route was changed mid-transit, in which case the person would be teleported back to their origin point instead of calculating a new path from their current location. This was done to avoid cascading traffic problems if the player adjusted the road system in real time. The city's user-designed transportation system creates a node-based graph used to determine these fastest paths and identifies intersections for these nodes. The system then simulates the movement of these individuals on the roads and transit systems, accounting for other traffic on the road and basic physics (such as speed along slopes and the need for vehicles to slow down on tight curves), in order to accurately model traffic jams created by the layout and geography of the system.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

your images are mad broken, bro

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

flosofl posted:

Holy poo poo, is the poison from the Mac HW thread leaking over here now.

gently caress's sake.

I wonder if there was this kind of uproar when laptops switched to USB ports from like serial and ps/2 and the dozen other connectors people used to use :allears:

USB C is pretty awesome and any consolidation of multiple plugs into 1 type is good news in my book

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tbh I was really just making fun of the guy who came into the obsolete technology thread to bitch about the 2016 Macbook not having USB ports hth

e: I was actually alive in the 90's too :ssh:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean it's not like Apple has a history of forcing its consumers into using dumb-specific connectors like Lightning or the old iPod 30-pin or Thunderbolt (I know that's an Intel thing technically but when's the last time you saw someone use Thunderbolt on a PC) or anything, or retarded design choices in general, but that's a topic for a whole other thread :v:

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Nov 1, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Droid 4 is hands-down the greatest QWERTY smartphone ever made:

If I could get one of those with modern specs I'd be all over it in a heartbeat, the sliding mechanism was solid as hell, keys felt great and it really wasn't that much thicker than the average Android phone at the time.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The arrow keys were god-tier too since my #1 annoyance on mobile is how much of a pain in the rear end it is to highlight specific text to edit

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I didn't say I can't do it that way, I said it's a pain in the rear end and I preferred having a physical keyboard with arrow keys

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm saying getting specific things highlighted is a pain in the butt because I have clumsy fingers. You have to press and hold a word to highlight the whole word, then drag those dumb blue things to get what you want, and to me they are overly sensitive and a pain in the rear end

I didn't realize "having a physical keyboard made certain things easier for me" was such a controversial opinion :shrug:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aren't monitors with BNC connections supposed to be top-notch as far as retro gaming and such go? I remember a job I worked was getting rid of a new-in-box Panasonic CRT that was like 42", and I snapped that thing up. It only had BNC inputs though. I can't remember if I just got BNC-RCA adapters and it worked, or something. Those were hazy times and tbqh if it hadn't weighed a fuckton I probably would have sold it for drugs

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

BNC connectors were also used in 10BASE2 thin-coax ethernet.

Those were the days. Your network lived in a single long cable that snaked around behind all the computers, plugging into each one in turn with a T-adapter. The ends of the cable had to have terminators plugged into them. And if some user undid the wrong BNC connector, breaking the cable, the entire network went down.

Good times.

My dad wired their whole house for thinnet years ago and is too lazy to rip it all out and put in Cat5 so theres a BNC->Ethernet hub in literally every room in the house now, I think it caps at 10Mbit :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's from Spain, so probably whatever layout they used back then.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah the mono mix remasters are way better.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Demolition Man will always be my favorite "future prediction." Not the actual future the movie is set in, but the very beginning (it's not too far off the reality either :haw:)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

David Mitchell.

it was actually Spud Webb

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Veotax posted:

I rarely ever see anybody but tourists use a £50 note in my shop. I don't think ATMs even give them out, I only get £10s and £20s when I request anything over £50.

We're moving to polymer notes and the £50 is the only note that's not slated to be replaced (though to be fair it did receive a redesign a few years back).

I found the opposite in Europe, a good chunk of the ATMs I used only dispensed 20s if you specifically chose small bills, otherwise it was all 50s.

I was in Scotland last month and I could have sworn they were already using polymer notes? They definitely seemed sturdier than American bills.

It's still pretty funny to me that different banks in the UK get to print their own variations of the GBP notes.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm still rocking an S4 too. When it's absolutely unusable, I'll get rid of it, but it works just fine for what I need and I have no reason to replace it right now.

(get off my lawn, whippersnappers, etc.)

I took an original Droid Razr on my honeymoon last month and was amazed to find it still takes fantastic photos.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DarthBlingBling posted:

Try the mega rare, only printed in Scotland, £100 note. Even cunts in Scotland don't know it exists

poo poo I had one of those when I was there. Clydesdale Bank, right? I broke it at a bar (to be fair I was paying for like 60 pounds worth of food/drink) and they looked at it like I was trying to pay with Confederate money. Not distrustful, just confused.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The fact that "pineapple" and "lobster" are longer words than "twenty" or "ten" is Australia as hell :hellyeah:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Foster's green can is literally the grossest beer I have ever had, and I've had something called Lobster Beer.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I suggest you sample some of the native beers of East Asia. That Buddha beer is the biggest gulf I've ever seen between how cool the packaging is and how terrible what's in the packaging tastes.

The big brands I've had, at least in China/Japan aren't that bad. Tsingtao is basically Carlsburg, Snow is basically Miller Lite, and the Japanese big 3 are at least average beers. The Foster's green was so gross I couldn't finish it, and it wasn't even skunked or poured from dirty draft lines or a anything.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've never even heard of it but if it's super bitter I need to track some down (I love straight tonic water)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I took the train once, from Amsterdam to Berlin. It was alright, definitely nice to be able to walk around, and the bar car is always fun.

Flying lately has been such a loving mixed bag, though. I read somewhere that airlines are starting to bring back amenities because the market is so cut-throat now, but it's weirdly inconsistent. I flew NYC to Dallas and back a couple of weeks ago on the same airline - on the way down, alcoholic drinks and wi-fi were free, on the way back I asked for a pillow and they told me it was $8 :shrug:

Phanatic posted:

Sirius, however, still sucks. Got a new car so it came with a 6-month subscription or whatever, and dear lord I can't figure out why anyone wants to pay for it. They have a station for each decade (70s, 80s, 90s, etc) and you'd think that if they're going to broadcast nothing but 80s pop 24 hours a day that they'd have some real variety in what they play. Nope, it's the same exact playlist any terrestrial 80s station would have. There's one station called "Deep Tracks" where they'll play the lesser-known stuff off of albums, but why the gently caress isn't every station that? Maybe it's a similar phenomenon, and even though people say they want variety they really don't actually want to hear any Depeche Mode songs other than People Are People and if you try playing them anything off of A Broken Frame they'll unsubscribe. But really, unless you're a big Howard Stern fan and need to listen to him, who the gently caress pays for Sirius?

Holy poo poo, it's like $10-20 a month now, too. I feel like back in the day when they were separate companies I had a Sirius subscription for like $12 a year.

Most of the stations are poo poo, yeah, but the metal station is decent, and the punk-ish station is alright when it's not one of the "drunken extreme sports pro and his idiot friends bullshitting on-air for an hour."

I never saw Jason Ellis do his sport (I think he's a BMXer, maybe?) but holy gently caress do I hate his guts from listening to his idiotic show on Faction in college.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 21:15 on Mar 9, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Anyone who recommends an FM transmitter has never tried using one in or around a major city

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

I disagree, I live in a major city and used to live directly below the main FM broadcast tower, a good one works perfectly fine and doesn't interfere with anyone else. There is enough unused bandwidth, at least in my country.

YMMV for sure, but Boston and NYC were total no-gos for me.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Good thing nobody's suggested that.

Good thing I was making a generalization regarding car audio options and not specifically singling out a post, then!

My Lovely Horse posted:

We rent cars every few months and it's a complete crapshoot what any given car will have for music connections, or where they'll be hidden. Bluetooth is awful because the only thing that's more of a pain in the rear end than pairing your phone is unpairing it so it doesn't stick around in the device list forever. USB is also terrible because God alone knows what depth of file structure the car's system can handle. And every entertainment system seems to have a different UI and different rules as to what it'll play automatically or where it will look for your files.

Just put in an audio jack. Pure audio signal, no need for communication between car and phone, and everyone's happy. And I can hook up whatever audio source I want. I've more than once thought about bringing a synthesizer but my girlfriend explained she would throw us both out of the car.

USB is annoying because of what you mentioned, but at least it's functional - I've gotten wrong track orders, no folder structure, system that doesn't read disc numbers so it plays disc 1/track 1, then disc 2/track 1, then disc 1/track 2, etc. but at the very least I've been able to get my own music blaring in the car. OTOH I carry a USB drive with nothing but music folders all in the root directory in my travel bag, so I'm more-or-less prepared; I've definitely heard endless complaints about trying to get music on a smartphone to play via USB connection.

In-dash systems are starting to get better though, especially now that Android Auto or whatever is starting to get popular. That's really the only downside to an audio jack, the fact that futzing with the music involves messing with your phone while driving. My Passat has some annoying quirks, but it also has an SD card slot, which is nice because I don't have to worry about breaking off the USB drive sticking out of my center console or dashboard.

Platystemon posted:

The linked product has a direct electric connection to the FM tuner.

Yeah, I was just saying that Transmitters are generally pretty awful is all, I'm sure that thing works well

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Amazon for older stuff on CD, but honestly the last 5 or 6 albums I bought were bought directly from the band or their website (off the top of my head it was Nine Inch Nails, Protest the Hero, the Fall of Troy, Steven Wilson , and this thread just reminded me I need to pre-order the upcoming Between the Buried and Me live CD/DVD/Bluray)

It seems like almost all new bands are either selling stuff themselves via Bandcamp or their own websites, or through their label's site, and the labels seem to have realized they were pricing themselves out of the market. That BTBAM cd/dvd/bluray combo is $20, which is not that bad for a 3-disc set. I think the MP3s are like :10bux: too.

Gromit posted:

I can tell you right now, if you're worried about your BT device name staying in that rental car then you'll be mortified by what else happens without you knowing.

I'm not sure why leaving your device name in a rental is a big deal, mine is just my phone's model number, I doubt they can glean anything relevant off the name XT-1096 :confused:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BTW I dunno if I mentioned this in the thread before but Google Play Music lets you upload 20,000 of your own songs and stream them anywhere, also the pay version has Spotify-levels of music and you can also download songs for offline use in either version

I'm so moody with my music that when I go on a trip I'll just clear out my phone and download songs wherever I have wi-fi for listening later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I heart bacon posted:

Yeah, they might not like it if you do.
:downsrim:

I could go for a hires float mine are always so pixelated and ugly