Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The really annoying thing was when the DJ would talk over the opening or closing, but you listen to it over and over again because what choice did you have? And then for the rest of your life you have some dumb babble burned into your brain and you anticipate it every time you hear the song. ...And that was Alanis More-upset with one of her happy, upbeat songs! gently caress you too, Crazy Ira.
Which reminds me of another obsolete music thing: The Box. It was a music video cable channel with a 900 hundred number. They'd list videos with a code, you'd call their 900 number, enter the code, and ten minutes to an hour later, your video would hopefully show up. For a while you could see the video for "You Oughta Now" on The Box before Jagged Little Pill came out so that's how I got my first copy of that song. The Box also showed stuff that MTV didn't or wouldn't. I totally ordered A person could have theoretically ordered the video for "Put 'Em on the Glass" - Sir Mix-a-lot's followup to "Baby Got Back". It did for tits what "Back" did for asses and more importantly was not shown on MTV.

MTV wound up buying The Box around 2000 anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
There was also a huge overlap between tokens and MetroCards. The first MetroCards came out in 1993, the last token was accepted in 2003. So there was some flexibility while the kinks were worked out.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Cigarette holders, on the other hand, were used and would on occasion be seen in public well into the 2000s.

Signed,
a Brooklyn resident well into the 2000s