Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now I'm trying to remember which car had the cantilevered doors that slid into the wheel well and let you open the car doors even when there was very little room next to the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

German prototype 'Schneekrad' from 1936:

Modern concept of the same (only a render, sadly):

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I remember that scene when Lethal Weapon first came out, it blew everyone's mind. All the kids at my highschool were all, "Holy poo poo, he's carrying around a loving phone!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Any polarising filter will do. Put on a pair of polarising sunglasses, even cheap lovely ones from a petrol station, and tilt your head. At some angles you can read the screen perfectly, at others it's completely blank.

poo poo, the expensive aftermarket stereo I once had installed in my car did this and was completely unusable while driving with shades on - unless you tiled your head 90 degrees. I had a go at the manufacturer as was told if wasn't something they tested for :argh:

And this was only back in the early 2000s, so it's not like LCD screens were new or anything.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Pham Nuwen posted:

Y'all scrubs. 40 GB storage, long-lasting battery. The only downside was that it's a bitch to upload music to it, you either had to use their software on Windows or (in my case) some reverse-engineered crap. No USB mass storage option.

It's me, I'm the guy who bought this:

I didn't like how Apple forced you to use iTunes and just wanted something I could plug in and use like a removable HDD/USB mass storage. Of course, that's not what the Zune was at all :eng99: The software Microsoft made you use was even crappier than anything to ever come from Apple.

It was so drat bad.

Especially at managing files. If you put files into the shared folder on your computer to sync up with Zune it would freak out if there were more than a few dozen and simply not load half of them.

Oh, and if you deleted a song off your Zune to make space or whatever, it would also delete it from your computer even when you had syncing turned off. Fully delete it. As it, can't use Ctrl Z, not in the rubbish bin. Gone.

Because that's a great design feature.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 18:16 on May 5, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

indoflaven posted:

Was this posted? The P38 can opener.

We had those when I was a kid in scouts and they 'worked', but were still loving terrible.

Thankfully we realised that you could do exactly the same thing with an ordinary spoon and not have to worry about finding a loving razor blade with your hand whenever you reached into your pack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lCQDUDRxJQ

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Oh god, I had completely forgotten all about those. But how else were you supposed to find out about cool or useful sites?

I even remember the really old computer magazines, before the internet even became a thing, which had twenty or so pages at the back of each edition filled with code you could type out yourself, line by line, into your computer for games and poo poo.

And you'd always gently caress up somewhere with a comma instead of a period or just a wrong line call and getting anything good to work took about a week of endlessly peering back and forth between the magazine and your screen trying to find where you hosed up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

KozmoNaut posted:

Everything has become so much easier now, but printing is still a bitch.

All printers should come with a "stop loving around right goddamn now!" button so that when you need to change the ink it doesn't take five bloody minutes while the print head goes back and forth over and over for no reason.

It makes me feel like a parent of a two year old. "Just let me put a clean top on you then you can go play with your friends. Stop squirming!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Goddamn, I loved that show so much. It was so hard to catch episodes because the ABC always tried to hide it between Playschool and preschool shows.

The first episode I ever saw was the fax machine one and fell in love.