Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I got my current job applying to an ad in the local paper in July.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

The more leaf cover you're under, the less accurate it'll be, if it can even get a reading. When I worked as a surveyor's rodman, we'd occasionally have to go do some GPS work around woods. One time we were on a hill, still some trees above us, and even sticking the receiver on its pole up in a tree, it took forever to get any reading at all, and taking it back to the office, it was a reading more than ten feet off, when in the open it could be accurate to within an eight of an inch.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Randaconda posted:

The thing I miss most that the internet killed is bookstores.

Yeah I agree, being able to browse a bunch of books by authors you might not have heard of, flip through them, check out things much faster than a webpage can show you is a great thing.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

That book is 1980s as gently caress.

Having been a rodman on a survey crew, the bent road sign in that illustration was almost certainly in the line of sight from where the surveyor set up the instrument and they just ... persuaded it to the side a bit.