Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

drat. If that ever goes anywhere I'd play the hell out of it. After stocking up on Dramamine, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

And don't forget to turn the volume down if the computer was connected to speakers, or when you push the button the *CLICK!* sound would kill you.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

Thunderbolt is kinda popular with audio production gear, generally more expensive high-end stuff though.

Wouldn't say 'popular' so much as 'present.'

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I have a feeling these guys are going to shoot themselves in the foot.

Yeah this happened at our university. We replaced our old system of cutting keys with nuclear test facility hand scanners. Although more secure, I guess they were costing us $30,000/yr to maintain. So they're starting to take them out of non-essential locations like elevators.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

SinineSiil posted:

Why do camera pans in 24 fps almost hurt to watch for me in some movies?

I was always told that horizontal pans were bad because the film moves vertically through the projector, but that theory doesn't hold up because it's still weird with digital video.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Nice. One of the ones created before the discovery of zero.

Also I'd like to imagine that that massive [ + ] handle is attached to a pull-start cord.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Kamrat posted:

In the 90's one of my friends got himself a 20" crt computer monitor and it felt so huge, by todays standards that's quite small. But I didn't envy that guy during LAN parties since it must've been a pain to lug that one along.

We used to rotate computers at our LAN cause the guy with the 20" CRT monitor had a decided advantage over the scrounged 15" ones. And if you were winning you had to switch to the clamshell Powerbook.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

0 rows returned posted:

its a shame that clear plastic fell out of favor, because id have all of my electronics in clear plastic

How appropriate you mention clear plastic in the failed technology thread because EVERY CLEAR PLASTIC CONTROLLER WAS BUSTED growing up. You'd go to your friend's house and they'd hand you a clear plastic death sentence in Mario Kart or Street Fighter or whatever.

Every. Time.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

[carmen sandiego]

That production schedule... :stare:

Seriously holy poo poo they did 65 episodes in 6 weeks. My loving god.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I hire young engineers straight out of college and absolutely zero of the people I’ve interviewed seem like they’d be confused by file locations.

Conversely, I teach college students how to code, and dealing with file structures is a very real hurdle. The bane of my existence is how Windows handles .zip files. Double-click, and it opens like a folder. Things inside will just open up. But try to save them? Of course not, silly! They're in a .zip file!

Now you're thinking, "just extract the files!" But that's because you've grown up as a computer toucher and figured that out already. Tech savvy means something different to younger generations, and they didn't grow up with Stuffit Expander and poo poo.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Imagined posted:

The default Windows behavior of concealing file extensions within Explorer fucks with my job every single working day of my life.
:hmmyes: Yep. Try explaining to a student that the file named 'Dog' is actually 'Dog.JPG' and not 'Dog.jpg' or if you actually name it 'Dog.jpg' now your file is actually 'Dog.jpg.JPG'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Chemmy posted:

I know how file systems work and the way windows handles zips is obnoxious and not an indicator that a user doesn’t know how file structures work.

Yep, they're two different things. In practice they are the point where I can sort the students into a) does know how file systems work and b) will click on anything that matches the name of the thing they're looking for.

For students specifically, it's worth remembering that they all have different backgrounds with computers. I teach art students. Lots of them did not grow up glued to a monitor and message boards. So my class is literally the first time they have extracted a .zip file, or had to organize their project files in the file system.