Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I've never seen a central vacuum with brushes, which is a weakness compared to modern vacuums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boiled Water posted:

Couldn't you replace it with a DAC and then whatever your favorite digital connector is?

It would be an ADC, but yes, guitars with RJ45 jacks are a thing that exists.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KozmoNaut posted:

I was thinking we could go to XLR plugs (or TRS jacks in a pinch) and do balanced connections.

However, both ideas require the instrument to be powered, so you either have to run a power cable or change batteries all the time.

Also, digital (or "modeling") guitars have been made, but they have never become popular. A lot of people think that audiophiles are the last die hard analog fanatics, but they're nothing compared to guitarists.

Balanced sources don't necessarily require power. Dynamic microphones, for example.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MageMage posted:

Haha no you don't, otherwise, please prove me wrong.

The T-Mobile US prepaid plan lovingly known as the "nerd plan" around these forums is $30/month flat-rate for 5gb of LTE, throttled afterwards, unlimited text, but only 100 minutes.

It's a popular little secret and VoIP makes the minute restriction bearable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Humphreys posted:

Well, if Dolby has their way, 5.1/7.2 or whatever combination will be dead in the higher tier home theaters.

It was announced in 2012 apparently but only just got to setup the a Dolby Atmos system at work. It consists of a new funtastic numbering system! 7.x.2 or 7.x.4 (the x being your number of subwoofers).

The extra 2 or 4 are ceiling speakers.

The stuff is amazing on the demo Bluray, and if you cannot drill out holes in your ceiling, there's an option for special speakers that reflect off the ceiling from the front/side of the room.

Here's an interesting easy to read article on it.
[url] http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2014/08/18/10-things-need-know-doblys-atmos-home-theatre-mobile-3d-sound-system/ [/url]

I'm not entirely sold on it for my own home, as I am lazy and happy with what I have now being over the top (7.2).

NHK already has them beat https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/22.2_surround_sound

A little insider info: So much live content is still produced in barely-stereo then run through a 5.1 synthesizer before distribution. We still have trouble finding enough people who can mix 5.1 well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Your Computer posted:

I've had people tell me I needed a firewire audio interface for my home recording studio because it (the cable, not the hardware) sounds "so much purer than USB". Preferably hooked up to a mac, of course. :eng99: It wouldn't surprise me if audiophiles kept FW alive, they're dumb as bricks.

FireWire is full-duplex and not packet-based, so there is some advantage over USB when trying to keep lots of sources in sync.