Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Skeleton Ape posted:

I had the same thought. I once got put at a workstation that had just the knobby part, something similar to this— http://www.creationengine.com/html/p.lasso?p=15244

They called it a "spaceball" and it's basically a 3D mouse. The base was really heavy so you could push, twist, tilt, and even pull straight up on the top part without it moving around on the desk. It was awesome for stuff like manipulating 3D models and getting around in Google Earth.

This reminds me, wasn't there a sort of game controller that came out 2006-2007 that was basically a suspended armature- it came with a default knob for basic movement, but you could attach a pistol grip for playing shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Our enormous ham hands slick with Crisco have a hard time turnin' them there tiny keys OK!!?

It may be a safety measure tied in with making the barrel harder to turn.

Turn? My ham hands just need to push a button.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Add some distortion and it would look like another obsolete concept: scrambled cable channels. Hey, was that a boob?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Sham bam bamina! posted:

My family still has the '97 World Book; I think that a demo of Encarta '98 might still be lying around somewhere too.

Those blocky volcano clips were so fun to watch.

Before I wad able to convince my parents to spring for Wing Commander/MechWarrior 2, I spent many long hours in the little quiz map game included with Encarta.

And am I the only one who begged for the Collier set?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

10", you young whippersnapper.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

I bought some joystick that came with instructions on how to best map controls to use it with an FPS. How you could play an FPS with a joystick comfortably (aside from MechWarrior, maybe), I have no idea.

MechWarrior is a sim, not an FPS. And it's to justify the $200 you just dropped on your force-feedback monstrosity.

Speaking of which, force feedback belongs in this thread. Haptic feedback is still prevalent, but a joystick wrenching itself out of your grasp as you get pummeled by PPCs blew my mind in the late 90's.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

I'm torn between cringing and waxing nostalgic on the aesthetics. On the one hand, they look like the illegitimate children of a Gameboy and a Thighmaster, but on the other hand, who doesn't want to be a high(er) tech version of Data?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

DNova posted:

Well, with 32 milligrams of memory and a 75MHz hard drive, why wouldn't it be able to run office?

Cut him some slack, he did say it was uncomfortable to type on.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Agricola Frigidus posted:

The suction never let me down.

Well, they don't make'em like they used to.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Something that looks like it should have bee obseleted and I just found out is still actually current is the handset lifter:

It works in conjuction with some wireless headsets for phones and gives a very distinctive whirr noise when you're hanging up with a person using it. It had me thinking one of my vendors had a robot arm, but the reality was much less cool.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Ha! That's what I have at work. Occasionally, the lifter will operate on its on raising and lowering the receiver over and over again.

Near any other strong radio signal sources?

Or it's just working out and one day will fling your handset at you, thus signalling the start of the Robot Revolution.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Perhaps, but think of how big that would be for a modern PC.

There's a slight problem. The manual won't fit in the packaging, because it came out to 800 pounds.
You mean 800 pages?
No. I mean 800 pounds. You need ten men to carry it.

Why can't they be on disks? It should be doable in one to two...

..hundred floppies.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

MeatloafCat posted:

My uncle has owned a small auto repair shop since the early 90s. He uses a database built on dbase III, it even has his first transaction from sometime in 1993. One problem is that the database only seems to want to print to an IBM proprinter. For a while we were using old HP deskjets that could emulate a proprinter, but the last one finally gave out. As a replacement he ended up buying a brand new (not even refurbished) OKI Data tractor feed dot matrix printer. I even bought him a 5000 sheet box of tractor feed paper to go with it. This was in 2013.

I do actually think it's pretty cool printer (or would be more appropriate?) but I'm not sure how I'd feel after listing to it all day.

The Okidata Microline printers will most likely continue to be supported and sold for a number of years to come due to a surprising number of offices/ work sites that use them.

Hell, I just leased two cars last fall and my contracts were printed on one. And you're right about the noise- It was loud as hell, and shook the table it was on enough to misalign the print halfway through the contract. The sales manager, my wife, and I just sat awardly, unable to talk above the din. It might have been on its way out as there was a factory sealed box with yet another Microline underneath the table.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

WebDog posted:

Old ads are kinda cheating.

I'd lime to draw attention to the Telex number at the bottom of this screen. Basically a point to point text messaging system that weren't unlike the telepgraph crossed sith a fax machine. A law firm I once worked for had one sittting in a closet with some casette based computers.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GreenNight posted:

I want to be this guy.

If my parents still have that phone, I can help with like 1/32 of your goal. It's got a toggle for pulse/ dial tone.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

You know what consumer electronics / PC hardware trend I really hope dies out soon? The practice of including eye searingly bright blue LED's on everything.

And bring back the soft red and green LEDs from the 70's and 80's.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Boot up a terminal?

Yessir, it might take a bit seeing as it's old tech, so I might have to flip my CD on to the B-side while waiting.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

joedevola posted:

IT'S WHISPER QUIET!

WHAT?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

The Next Generation

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

I get the first one, but what's the second referencing?

Hint: it's a date.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

drgnwr1 posted:

I'm more surprised that over the course of the discussion, there wasn't an argument over pop/soda/coke/(insert what you use to call your carbonated beverage)

Because with the advent of communication on the scale we're seeing today, regional naming schemes are rapidly becoming obsolete. Besides, Fizzle Snack is the one true word for non-alcoholic carbonated beverages.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

flosofl posted:

What kind of poo poo-tier CRT monitors are you talking about. My old 24 inch Trintron monitor from 2001 could do 2300x1440@160Hz. Granted, it weighed as much as a neutron star and every time you'd turn it on all the lights in a 1 block radius would dim. But it was probably the best monitor I've ever owned.

Sup gravity well buddy. I had the 19" on my old dell dimension and it was blast playing old LucasArts fighter sims on that behemoth.

The guy I sold it to back in 2006 very quickly learned that flat panel =/= flat screen.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Keiya posted:

And now I'm remembering the jokes lost to the sands of obsolete technology.

RIP disks 22, 36, and 114.

But finally figuring this out was like seeing the actual Matrix code. "I don't need to download empty filler and can just go straight to the good segments and still have enough bandwidth to get another set!"

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Okay, I've always wanted to ask this: was it really six million dollars to fix you up after the crash, or was that just a marketing thing?

Well, it'd be closer to $22.59 million back in 2001.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

They mostly use repurposed EMHs for that job now.

"State the nat...PHEEEW"

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

Initial thought then I remembered your 10 and 20 notes are yellow and red.

It's Australia, exotic dancers are probably used to such workplace hazards.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I'd prefer something the size of pound coins. Those feel like you could really do some damage with 'em.

Make it hail.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

It can't be that much bet...

Jesus H Christ, now it's 2011 and it's like I'm holding my HTC Evo again. I miss that phone.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I live a couple towns over from the highest-grossing retail zip code in the country (Paramus, NJ) and even there one of the flagship been-around-forever malls is slowly dying.

Of course, the 4 other megamalls within a 15-minute drive are all thriving and expanding at insane rates. IIRC one of them is built on swampland and sinks like an inch into the ground every year.

One of the really big ones was fun in high school - since they had a couple of Fridays/Buffalo Wild Wings type places serving booze til 2, and midnight showings of movies, they literally never locked the entrance/exit doors on the 4th floor. You could go in late at night and just gently caress around - throwing super balls down 5-story elevator shafts, skateboarding on tile floors, free drinks from the food court soda machines

Paramus Park is the one that's dying, right? I swear it's just been on life support since the mid 2000's and the revamps and additions they've made are just failures, especially when one of the original anchors is a goddamned Sears.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Ok, Manuel, how many people has the swan told you to kill and where are the bodies?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Sweevo posted:

and HP Laserjet 4s

And I'll be king because we somehow have a huge stockpile of 98As in our warehouse. I'll print books! For this year. Next year. The year after that. And the year after that.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

No brands, no masters.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

AntherUslessPoster posted:

what are brands anyway

A miserable pile of operating systems.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Collateral Damage posted:

Speaking of remotes and programming, Panasonic released a series of VCRs in the late 80s where the remote had a barcode reader. For programming scheduled recordings you'd just take out your handy sheet of barcodes and swipe the reader over them.

I'll just let the hands do the talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqs3kMW1caA

I guess some marketing exec at Panasonic really really liked that scene in Labyrinth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

I would yell at my 10 yr old self now if could, but loved pressing on the lcd to see all the possible animations at the same time.