Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

I know the minidisc party is over, but I remember seeing something about a guy trying to build minidiscs the size of postage stamps. Imagine rummaging through a bag of those at a traffic light!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

How about this bad boy?

I'm...not really sure what to make of them.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

TommorowComesToday posted:

The Microsoft Sidewinder Dual-Strike

I'm not sure if this was supposed to be the next big thing or whatever, but it truly is as awful to use as it looks. I think I bought it in a misguided fever trying to get better at Decent or Magic Carpet or some goddamn thing, but ended up attempting to play any game that used a mouse/keyboard combo. It was so bloody awkward I can't even begin to describe it.

The centre "ball" joint works like a mouse, giving temporary movement to whatever direction you smash the opposing sticks towards. It is terribly unintuitive and impossible to find 0 on. The top left D-Pad was a digital stick made to look analog which had the response time of a drugged sloth, and the buttons were cheap and no reflex. For a period I used to play platformers and emulated games, trying not to move the ball, but eventually threw it out and got a Gravis pad instead.

Hey now, that thing got me through many tough lan fights in Heavy Gear 2.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Mr. Beefhead posted:

I was a big supporter of the minidisc back when.

Three was a guy trying to develop a super minidisk that was about the size of a postage stamp. Imagine sifting through a glove box full of those.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

DNova posted:

Are you referring to Dataplay?

They are re-writable (or pre-recorded) discs in 500mb capacity (250mb per side) using the same phase-change technology as CD-RWs. They hit the scene just before flash media was affordable in capacities useful for media. It was a tremendous flop, but it was a neat idea at the time, and the engineering was impressive.

Here's a PDF with some nice images and technical information http://www.hotchips.org/wp-content/.../19dataplay.pdf

God drat, talk about being a day late and a dollar short. "Solid state....what's solid state? gently caress!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

Killed a lot of bugs with this thing.