Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Dr. Dos posted:

Turns out the out networking equipment I planned to get from my parents' house while visiting this weekend is more obsolete than I thought and definitely fits here since most people I met never heard of it.

Back in 2003 I got my first computer that was mine and mine alone. At the time there was only one other computer in the house and running ethernet from opposite corners of the house on two different floors wasn't an option. I suggested getting a wireless adapter and a wirless networking card and being done with it!

My parents said no, fearing the internet would be stolen by neighbors and unscrupulous people parked outside or something. Looking into alternatives, we eventually found something called Homeplug

Homeplug used Powerline Networking, an ethernet cable ran from our router and plugged into one of them, which then plugged into a regular electrical socket. Another one in my bedroom went from another socket to my PC, giving me that glorious 1 megabit DSL (that they're still on today :gonk:) in my room.

It was a really neat solution, worked great, and was decently priced. I think each one was $50, which wasn't too bad vs. a wirless router and a network card to connect to it back then. It had a few downsides, which at the time weren't really a big deal for a small home network on cheap DSL. It couldn't be on a powerstrip, as they would interfere with the signal. It was limited to 14 megabits, when a regular ethernet solution would be 100 megabits. (Apparently later models did get up to 100 mbit, which is what I thought they always were and hence why I was going to snag them on this trip.)

Wireless didn't have these limitations and you know, was wireless, but using regular electrical systems for networking still seems really cool to me today.

Alas that 14 megabit cap ruined my plan to clear up some clutter by moving my current cable modem into another room and using them to connect my desktop to it.

Oh, and 5 months after I got my computer my father got a PDA and bought a wireless router so he could have internet access on it :argh:

Sorry to bring this up from many, many pages ago but this has intrigued me. I work at a hotel with about 90 rooms spread over three floors and we only have WiFi in the public guest access area. How does this Homeplug thing work exactly? If we just hooked one up to a router in the back office and another to a bedroom that would give WiFi to that bedroom?

What kind of range do they have? The hotel runs on several fuseboxes, would that be a problem? Would each access point need its own password or could you roam between them?

I'm looking at http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-plv-200av-pigpew-kit.html and see they give you the ethernet adaptor you connect to the router and the one you put in the room. Can you run multiple access points from one adaptor?

This doesn't look like failed or obsolete technology to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Geoj posted:

You're mixing up two technologies here - what these basically do is allow you to run a wired connection across the AC lines in the wall. So you end up with router > ethernet cable > outlet adapter > AC wire in the wall > other outlet adapter > ethernet cable > client computer. They're cost prohibitive to use in large numbers (like a hotel setting,) and you tend to take a bandwidth hit if the connection has to run across breakers. In your case you'd be better off running a couple of ethernet cables to each floor and installing access points throughout the hotel.

Thanks, that makes it a lot clearer.

However, this thing says it is a WiFi extender thingymajig. One of the reviews says its WiFi range is 5-6 metres, so in one room it could potentially cover the two adjoining rooms as well. For a 90 room hotel we would need 30 of them so that's £843 which is expensive but not prohibitive.

To be honest what we really just need is WiFi access in the main function room. We sometimes have companies that hire the space to do presentations and the signal is absolutely atrocious in there. My colleagues are forever phoning our tech support guy to come in and "boost the WiFi range" which leads to him sighing and ethernet cables being strung all over the place. It's 2014 for goodness sake :eng99:

Anyway, I'll mention it to him one day and see what he says.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

spookygonk posted:

We're never going to get DAB+ in the UK.

The digital switch over was meant to be 2015, but that's been postponed as while 48% of UK households have a DAB radio, it only amounts to 36% of listening time (and 55% of that is BBC's stations). Also the music broadcast quality is piss poor.

DAB+ isn't "getting rid of FM" it's just a better version of DAB. However, a DAB+ radio is different to a DAB radio so everyone would need to switch again. People in the UK would need to change their radio sets and people don't change them anywhere near as often as TVs and so on. The digital switchover was much easier because people were changing televisions from the old clunky things to LCD displays so convincing people to spend another twenty quid on a box to plug in which gives you another 25 channels wasn't a difficult sell at all. People are still using FM radios from the war for goodness sake.

Britain had DAB radio long before countries you'd expect to implement it first like Germany and Sweden. France hasn't implemented it at all. Ironically it is actually precisely because Britain was such a pioneer in DAB radio that DAB+ isn't a realistic proposition in the near future. We got DAB first but we'll get DAB+ (which is far, far superior) last.

As for the US, they were always notoriously behind European countries when it came to mobile phones. Your average person in Europe was using a smartphone long before your average American (by "long before" I mean "18 months" which in tech terms is practically an ice age), mainly due to Nokia being the market leader, but with Apples rise the initative has switched. This has worked out quite well for the US market because it's meant that 3/4G rollout could be done a lot quicker as there wasn't as much existing infrastructure to get in the way, which is exactly what is likely to happen with DAB+ radio.

Car makers might as well start making their radios DAB enabled for their European/Asian markets (China loves DAB+) knowing full well that any day now it'll suddenly be rolled out across the US. Within a year of it's introduction you'll all be using it*.

* Having said that American radio culture is pretty unique so you might not. But that's for venture capitalists to worry about!

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Aristophanes posted:

This is less 'obsolescence' and more marvelling at the progress of technology. In my first year of high school we had to have a USB flash drive, and I bought a 1GB drive for about $25. Today, I just got a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive for a little under $10.

I remember at school in about 1998/1999 our computer teacher telling us about ridiculously expensive RAM was and how criminals, at least in the UK, would break into offices and just rip the RAM out of computers. He even showed us a video about this!

This site seems to tell you the price of memory through the years. I think my teacher was a bit out of date as the price for 1998 hovers between $1-3/MB but in the 80s it was $150-$8000/MB.

Its $0.0085/MB now. That's 117 times cheaper than $1/MB.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Gromit posted:

Mine was an 8 kilobyte expansion cartridge for the VIC-20 and it cost about the same in the early 80s.

In ten years people will talk about gigabytes like this.

future me posted:

LOL in 2014 I paid $60 for six gigabytes of memory, just upgraded ten exabytes for twenty bucks #memory #RAM #future #rememberWW3thatwasfun

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Sorry guys, paper is obsolete!

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
I was a bit of a computer whizz at school and after a couple of classes of Visual Basic was writing impressive looking roleplaying puzzle games. My best was one where you had to solve a load of puzzles to disable a nuclear warhead and if you got it wrong an ASCII mushroom cloud popped up.

This was the late 90s. I got my first iPhone a month ago and had to ask an 18 year old to set up WhatsApp for me :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

Shut up Meg posted:

That money is used to create media for the British public to enjoy. That media does not have revenue generation as its primary criteria, unlike private TV broadcasters.

Phanatic posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6p

Looks to be the same generic crappy low-effort reality television as is produced everywhere else.

"Alistair Appleton helps a woman in north Devon looking for a home on a £600,000 budget."

Compelling! If that's the kind of programming you can produce when even poor people are required to pay you a license fee, I'm sold. Really puts shows like The Wire and Breaking Bad in their place.

It's easy to pick out some reality TV garbage and use it to argue against the TV licence. But you've got to look at the cutting-edge stuff the BBC makes.

Take Poldark, for example, which is now on it's 5th series on the BBC. It was produced by Mammoth Screen, who are owned by... oh, ITV. Right, ignore that one...

Sherlock! Everyone knows Sherlock. And produced by the BBC Hartswood Films. Their most famous production before that was Men Behaving Badly which originally aired on.. oh, ITV.

Alright then, The Blue Planet, Planet Earth and Frozen Planet. Definitely BBC productions! Well, sort of. It would be unfair to say that they were all also co-produced by the Discovery Channel, because that would be unfair to our old pals NHK (previously mentioned in this discussion) who also co-produced Planet Earth along with the BBC and the Discovery Channel.

Line of Duty, that's definitely the BBC.. oh, no, World Productions. Guess who they're owned by? Starts with I and ends with TV.

Well, Bodyguard! Definitely B... oh what's the point. World Productions again.

So, as you can see, the BBC makes some pretty amazing stuff pays other people to make things for them. Sure, Luther and Peaky Blinders are BBC productions........well, sort of. They were actually made by 'BBC Studios' a commercial company under the BBC umbrella, who get more-or-less-guaranteed contracts from the BBC to make stuff for them, without any of that pesky 'oversight' stuff. And based on their revenue in 2017-18 being £1.5billion (combined with BBC Worldwide, who they merged with in 2018) it's fairly safe to say they have revenue generation as their primary criteria.

But they're just selling programmes to make money to make more great programmes, surely? Like when they sell Mock the Week and QI re-runs to Dave, that's just to make money to make more great programmes, right?

Well, no. Because in June of this year, BBC Studios, using money given to them from the BBC (which in turn was given to them by TV licence payers) got around the rather pesky problem of letting TV channels get advertising revenue from showing BBC programmes by simply buying those channels. So now the BBC owns:

UKTV
Alibi
Dave
Drama
Eden
Gold
W
Yesterday

You'll notice two things here: firstly, there are adverts on all of those channels. Secondly, they're all on FREEVIEW, which is hilariously loving ironic.

The BBC in it's current form is an impressive level of smoke and mirrors, trading on their reputation as "Auntie" in the hope that nobody notices it's basically just a private company that does what ever it drat well pleases. Finally:

Shut up Meg posted:

It is isolated from the govt by law which means it is very difficult for the sitting govt to influence it.

haha what