Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Geoj posted:

Thread is for both obsolete and failed technology...even if you don't think they were failures they still belong here.

Guess its a matter of opinion but PDAs never really seemed practical or useful to me v0v

Significanly before modern handheld gaming consoles, my PDA was a way to play NES/GBC games (flawlessly) and SNES games (fairly well) on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Speaking of videogame technology, Expansion Module #1 for the Colecovision.

It was essentially an Atari 2600 without controllers that connected to your Colecovision. They quickly stopped selling them for legal reasons, but if you were lucky enough to get one before that (we were), then it was great. It's something that'd be completely unheard of today; imagine something you connect to your Xbox to play PS2 games or something.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
On both simulators, it looks like ON/C clears the current screen but not the memory. I don't see an "AC" key on the device (although may I'm overlooking it).

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I imagine it was something more like "unlike four-function calculators, our SR line reproduces all of the functionality of a slide rule!"

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Mu Zeta posted:

At least in the US a credit card is practically the same thing as a bank card or debit card. They function pretty much the same and are interchangeable, though credit cards are by far the most common.
I wonder if this is a regional variation, because in the US dialects I'm used to, "credit card" can be used to mean "debit card or credit card" (in the context of paying by card vs. paying by cash), and debit cards can often be "used as credit cards" (you'd sign instead of entering a PIN), there's a big difference: I don't get a bill for my debit card.

Admittedly, I may not have been clear on the difference before I got my first credit card, but the distinction is crystal clear at least in a bunch of east-coast cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Look up all the components that make up your simplest electronic gadget, then look up how those were invented and just start freaking out at the millions of huge leaps in technology each tiny part required.
Heck, this guy tried building the simplest toaster from scratch. It turns out it's really tough to make most of the components.