Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

For the longest time, I thought this was just something I made up as a kid, but once I thought about it more, I remember seeing this in the back of some Lands End-esqe computer magazine, thinking HOLY poo poo THE FUTURE IS NOW because you're now directly-interfaced with your PC, and sure enough, this weird loving thing exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6atr1gIHcA

MINDDRIVE, it looks like the only purpose of this was to play games, considering we heard nothing about the super-revolutionary Miramax films utilizing this. Also: the games look really lovely. It sorta looks like that thing for the Wii you would clip on your finger that was never released

And the entire MindDrive collection can be yours for a steal at $450! There's always something both hilarious and sad about ancient developers still trying to sell their games for the same price as they were almost three decades ago, PLEASE PURCHASE THESE GAMES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The issue is that the DC uses a gigabyte sized disc and a standard CDR is 750mb. Most games are in the 400-650 range and fit fine on a standard CD but any game that actually used all the space (Shenmue II for instance) would have to be cut down. The easiest way to do this is by replacing the music files since they are usually uncompressed WAV files in a directory on the disc.

Another issue was that the images of ripped Dreamcast games were waaaaaaaaay different in structure compared to legit discs, and by that I mean a complete mess that Echelon wrapped up nicely in bin/cue format. Because of this, the laser usually had to move all over the place to read data, and worked hard with rips that were especially chopped-up and dummied images. Over time, the laser would be picky on when it reads, or just stop altogether, but you could usually squeeze another year or two out of it by loving with the potentiometer whenever it'd start acting up. It was still a lot more graceful than playing with your Playstation on it's side

There was actually a cool project to combat this that involved creating/structuring highly-efficient DC rips to burn on normal CD's, and they ended up performing pretty much the same or superior to legit discs, and the dude that did this covered pretty much the entire worthwhile library. A lot of :filez: DC's could've been saved if it didn't only just finish a year ago