Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Isn't this actually a product that polishes CDs so they work properly again back when CD readers were so fault-intolerant that a couple of scratches could make a cd unreadable?

It looks like a "stomper" for lining up and applying labels to burned discs, relabeled as a joke. I was about to say how obsolete that is but I think you can still buy them at Office Depot. There was a time when good torrents came with an image of the DVD labels. I'm pretty sure those days are long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

p-hop posted:

My car is a 2006 Buick Lesabre. The stock stereo has AM/FM and a cassette deck. 2006 cassette deck. I have one of those cassette tape / headphone jack converters and it does the job just fine. I've heard that some models (such as mine) are built with outdated/legacy stereo stuff because the primary market is elderly people. It's a grandpa car and grandpa still has cassette tapes. Anyone know if that's true?

Anecdotally, it was their books on tape. Even as audio books transitioned to CDs there were still libraries, personal and public, full of books on cassettes. Cassette adapters had also just become a normal accessory in the consciousness of old people.

I wish this was animated, with the front flipping open to show the CD slot and closing to show the animated panel:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Twinkie Czar has a new favorite as of 21:50 on Apr 8, 2014

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

karl fungus posted:

On a related note, I'm curious as to how online shopping worked in the early days around the late 80s and early 90s. Was it just as simple as providing a credit card number and having things shipped to your door? How secure was any of this?

I think as late as 2000 I paid for an ebay auction with a money order. I would get the total from the seller, go to the bank or post office and get a money order in that amount, and mail it to the seller. The seller would ship after receiving payment in the mail. I think some would take a personal check but would wait until it cleared the bank.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Point of sale systems running a full OS would be another example. With a keyboard users can get into all sorts of trouble. Limited to touchscreen buttons even Windows XP can stay usable.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
With Super Hits of Some Decade collections I get the appeal. Maybe it's all on iTunes but what if they can't remember the correct name of the performer, album, or song? Or they remember the name of the band but find that they put out a dozen albums and don't want to sort through them all to find their two big hits? And they can't form a decent google search, they can't figure out an mp3 player, they like physical media, they think burned cds are tacky, they . . .gently caress it. Just buy granddad the cds so he can read the liner notes and rock out to 1910 Fruitgum Company.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Humphreys posted:

My grandmother used to tape those types of ads so she could play them back and write down the songs she likes, then give me the song list to download for her.

That's awesome, your grandmother had things figured out. I always laugh at the Freedom Rock commercial but I also think it really is a great playlist.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Even more bizarre, I think that picture is a PCMCIA / compact flash adapter. But think of it as an SD slot in an stock radio in a car from 2011 and it sounds pretty good.

Good thing, too, because that audio system looks like a pain in the rear end to replace.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I recently bought a new tape adaptor at Walmart. They even had two to choose from, a Scosche branded one in the car audio area and an RCA version for a few dollars less in the check out line. There are tons of cars on the road with tape decks so the adapters will be with us for a while.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
They probably couldn't decide on a memory format and saw PCMCIA as way to make one slot adaptable to different formats, maybe even different uses. This guy shows it working with generic SD and micro SD adapters and here's a Mercedes compact flash adapter:

It's really a cool combination of being bizarre and obsolete but also easily adapted to a modern format.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Touchscreens and they're even more integrated into the dash.

All those input options look awesome but I hope it never breaks.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Razor blade drop slots also come from a time when we didn't neatly bag up our trash and have it picked up. Losing a blade while hauling loose trash to the city dump or burning trash in your own backyard is a pretty scary thought. It was just a small slot and medicine cabinets had them for a very long time. They quit labeling them but didn't bother to change their manufacturing. Bathroom tiles with slots look even crazier today.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
A grate works if you know something was put in the hose outlet; otherwise you're stuck checking it every time you vacuum, just in case. I expect there's a child-proofing option available but I can't find anything.
I assume powered vacuum outlets don't supply 120v until the system is turned on but I still wouldn't want a kid cramming food or whatever into the contacts.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Yes, tetanus is the only thing we were worried about. Now I feel safe to plunge my hands into a blade-filled wall cavity.

Those slots are easy to miss after the label falls off or the manufacturer stops labeling them:

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

That's one of the Henry Ford Museum machines because it makes a 1952 Wienermobile. I still have the one it made about five years ago. They're plastic now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Back when I worked in library automation (a loooong time ago) most librarian groups insisted that any computer system they bought deleted checkout records after a book had been returned. They wanted to make sure that nobody could come in and demand to see everybody who'd checked out $suspiciousbook. No idea if this is still true. This is an actual advantage automated circulation systems have over physical cards.

My library has a self checkout system now and a related benefit is that you don't have to fear judgement from the person handling your books. No chance of "Isn't this subject advanced for you?" or "Do you have your parents permission to borrow this?" Openly browsing the stacks was once a big freedom and self checkout kind of is too.